Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Looking for a new(er) bike - if you had it all to do over would you go CVO?  (Read 4771 times)

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red

Just when I get all warm/fuzzy about CVO's I read about a "death wobble".

I have taken my hands off the bars of my 03 ultra to pluck a bug out of my eye or zip up/down jacket, but have never had any probs with tracking.  It always tracked straight as it should since the tires/wheels should act like gyroscopic stabilizers.  In one of my motorpatrol classed a few years back the instructor actually recommended to let loose on your grip (without letting go of course) if you get into a wobble since the gyroscopic force will try to keep the wheel in line with the direction you are traveling.  Problem comes in he said when you try to compensate for the wobble and your reaction time is the issue.  By the time you make your correction it's too late and you will make the problem worse by starting and encouraging a "tank slapper".

I also heard from my local dealer that the new frame (not sure which year it was changed in) handles wobbles well and he also mentioned loosening your grip to let the wheels compensate for any wobbles you get into on sand in the road.

From what I'm reading the wobble in this topic is made worse if you loosen your grip.  That's problematic since you can't react fast enough to cancel a wobble, you can only make it worse, so what's the solution?

Anyone else experienced this problem?

And by the way I've seen some better pics of Tequila Sunrise and I'm sorry to say it's just too flashy for me.  Hate to be an old timer but I sure wish they had a vivid black one.  Closest they come is black with Crimson Graphics from what I've seen.  Really like the '07 Ultra scheme with red/black or orange/black.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:40:48 PM by Sledge »
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon

I have only owned one CVO, my current 2006 SE Fat Boy.  But with that said, I have a signed contract with my dealer for my second, a 2012 SE Street Glide.  The CVOs really are the cream of the crop, IMO.  And there is no way I would ever buy anything but another one.

And with the already mentioned resale value, you also get the advantage of all those extra parts being covered by warrentee and also by insurance.  Any part that is on a bike new is a part the insurance company and HD has to cover should something happen.  That is just not the case with anything you add after the sale.  All those add on parts to make a standard bike appear to be a CVO will not be covered under warrentee, will not be covered by your insurance company, or help you much with its value when it comes time to get your next bike.

My current CVO is 6 years old and my dealer has offered me more for it in trade than a new 2012 Fat Boy sells for.  If it was just a 2006 Fat Boy with parts added to make it look like a CVO there is no way I would be getting more than a stock 2012 one sells for.  :2vrolijk_21:

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member

Well, at 66, and riding my dream Harley, I can't imagine ever needing another one -BUT, if I did,

#1. YES, it would be a CVO, and ONLY a CVO;

#2.  NEW?  Never.  Waste of money.  Find a low-mileage used one still under warranty, let the PO take the big initial
depreciation hit, get any bugs out, add his goodies that you can use or change, and then get the extended warranty.

A very interesting fellow H.O.G.  member here is Dr. Bruce Heilman, former President of the University of Richmond,
WWII Marine, author - who loves to ride his Ultra at 87 years old!  I hope to follow in his footsteps!  Or Harley tracks.... :)

'09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield
'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out, faster than my CVO

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

steve047

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3

I have a 07 SERK (110) only problem that i have had is with the cruise control, dealer could not fix it so i did, The recall that came out on the gaskets etc. i never did have any problems, the tires that came on the bike did not cup the second set did, replaced them with Metzler's, solved that problem and have never had The Death  Wobble before or after i added the faring. Maybe i was lucky and got a good one, But yes i would buy another CVO, Or nothing at all.

+1

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

I am pleased with my 09 FXDFSE and it is a crowd pleaser too. Yep rattle in the top end and made worse with the hop-up but that is my choice. Most problems that have been voiced are common to DH as a whole and not limited to the CVO.

Yes I would buy another and new is ok for me. Go 09 and later period. I bet those guys riding the older ones would like the newer better if they tried one. Remember as for motor vehicles there is not absolute perfect.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones

Cobb ... just go buy 1.  There I said that.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Well I would but...................................I was born really good looking and poor and I can only afford one and I really like my 06 so.........................but thanks for the encourgement we all need that once in a while.................... :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

yes

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

Two more comments about the members here fussing about their bike. If you are in the family the criticism is taken well by others in the family but just let an outsider try and trash our beloved bikes and we defend with vigor. :2vrolijk_21:

Most CVO owners are very discerning individuals and won't let much slide.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Well I would but...................................I was born really good looking and poor and I can only afford one and I really like my 06 so.........................but thanks for the encourgement we all need that once in a while.................... :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D
Well...good looking is a matter of different opinion and since  I also am very handsome and poor I also can only afford 1.  Now since chip and many others have many maybe they can buy us 1 .... watcha think   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

BUCKNUT  :2vrolijk_21:

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?

#2.  NEW?  Never.  Waste of money.  Find a low-mileage used one still under warranty, let the PO take the big initial
depreciation hit, get any bugs out, add his goodies that you can use or change, and then get the extended warranty.

I agree with the comment above, aside from it's not an exended warranty but rather an 3rd party insurance policy against expensive (it's a Harley) mechanical breakdowns and electronics that crap out.  >:(

GO FOR IT!   :2vrolijk_21:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red

Well, now I know what I want: 2012 CVO Street Glide in black diamond/dark slate.  Hope it isn't too light on the slate since I like black.  Not enough money to get that one though unless I win the lottery.  Will settle for a 2011 Black/Crimson if I can get a good one for a good price.  Don't like the other colors much.  I guess I'm willing to wait rather than go with a '10 or '11 103 SG, and slap on a few pricey extras.

My resolve is weakening though.  I am about to go stark raving crazy here bras.  I haven't been riding since April fer crisakes and my wife keeps nagging me to stop looking at bikes on the internet.  She thinks since I hit the pavement and didn't get hurt that I dodged a bullet and should quit while I'm ahead.  Sheesh, it would be easier to stop breathing.  And I don't know anyone who has had more than one accident (don't tell me if you do cause that's my story and I'm stickin to it.)  She loves me and she's scared she'll lose me she says.  I believe it but you can't just wrap a guy in bubblewrap and stand him in the corner.  If she reads this she'll prolly try it though. 

Ok, so I'm gonna be patient.  Gotta be patient.     
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

My opinion: Scratch '07 and '08 off the list if you want to have the best chance of fewer problems.  It doesn't appear that you care whether you have a genuine SE or replica, so I'd go down the list of stuff the CVO model has that the regular one doesn't and rank each as "want that specific piece on mine", "would change it on mine, but not to that specific piece", "don't really care", and "don't want".  You might be surprised at how many of them are things you would change on the stock bike, but not to what is on the CVO.  And also how many are big-ticket items (pipes, engine tune, brakes) that you will change on the CVO too.  If you are thinking the CVO is put together better at the factory, or has better components - nope.  A good independant can build a better engine/bike than the factory does.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

Or this one...and the exhaust and tuner are already done!!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=64903.0;all

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.