Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery went out on my 09  (Read 816 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Battery went out on my 09
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »

After about a 75 mile ride yesterday, I shut my bike off in my drive way and and after I opened the side gate to pull it in I hit the starter button and it justs made this clicking sound. The lights were all on and the horn did not sound weak. I figured the starter went out. My bike is an 09 ,however I have had it since August of 08.. Most of the miles are long distance riding. It has had a Battery Tender on it since new. I checked it with my multimeter a few days ago and it showed 13.2 volts and when running it was around 14.2 volts. However, when the tech checked it under a load it only read 7.23 volts.(I had to have it towed in) I was hoping to get 5 or 6 years out of it because of always being on battey tender. The day I was riding it it started up fine several times during my ride. I guess I should be glad that when it failed it did it in my driveway, but I always thought I would get some advance warning like slow starting etc., but it just went from good to dead. I was wondering how long other people are waiting to change batteries. I asked my tech how I could check for voltage under load and he said hook up multimeter see what it is at and then hit starter button. If it drops lower than 9 volts it  is time for a new battery. Any comments or insite on this would be appreciated. I think I will just make it a rule to change every 3 years from now on. Thanks in advance. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: Battery went out on my 09
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »

I got 5 years out of the one in my 06, only replaced it "just because" it was old, worked perfect.

I got 27 months out of the one in out 09....
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »

My month for batteries. Replaced them on the 09 SERG3 (which sux) and the 05 SEEG2 (which I can't complain about). Softail's dead too but I bought it used and have no idea how old the battery is. And yes, they're kept on a tender and yes, I keep the connections cleaned up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

It just seems like there have been a lot more reports of short battery life in the past few years, and I don't know that anyone knows exactly why that is.  I tend to wonder if it's related to the ever larger electrical load as Harley adds more and more electrical equipment, or is it just one more sign of the cheapening they have been doing with all sorts of components.

The tech gave you some good advice about the load test.  While just cranking and observing the voltage isn't exactly the same as a real load test, it will tell you what you need to know.  You don't want the bike to actually start when you're doing this, so make up a simple jumper to energize the starter solenoid switch with the ignition off.  Connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals, crank the engine for 15 seconds with your jumper while observing the voltmeter reading.  The voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts.  That's the method I've been using for years, since I don't own a real load tester. 

Some of us have had Harley batteries last more than six years, and some have had them fail in two or less.  I don't have a clue how you can easily tell if yours is destined for early failure, but I don't usually recommend changing them strictly based on time in service.  After deciding on a three year limit you could just as easily get one of those that only lasts two years, or you might be throwing away one of those destined to last six or more years.  Doing a load test on a regular schedule might give you a clue about a slowly deteriorating battery if you follow the exact same protocol each time and record the exact voltage, but it won't necessarily help you predict those sudden failures caused by shorted cells or cell connector failures.  In other words, there really isn't any foolproof method I'm aware of.  Replacing them every year like we did back in the 60's might be an option, but with the prices of modern batteries it could get pretty expensive.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »

grc, thanks for the additional info. CAHDBIKER

It just seems like there have been a lot more reports of short battery life in the past few years, and I don't know that anyone knows exactly why that is.  I tend to wonder if it's related to the ever larger electrical load as Harley adds more and more electrical equipment, or is it just one more sign of the cheapening they have been doing with all sorts of components.

The tech gave you some good advice about the load test.  While just cranking and observing the voltage isn't exactly the same as a real load test, it will tell you what you need to know.  You don't want the bike to actually start when you're doing this, so make up a simple jumper to energize the starter solenoid switch with the ignition off.  Connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals, crank the engine for 15 seconds with your jumper while observing the voltmeter reading.  The voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts.  That's the method I've been using for years, since I don't own a real load tester.  

Some of us have had Harley batteries last more than six years, and some have had them fail in two or less.  I don't have a clue how you can easily tell if yours is destined for early failure, but I don't usually recommend changing them strictly based on time in service.  After deciding on a three year limit you could just as easily get one of those that only lasts two years, or you might be throwing away one of those destined to last six or more years.  Doing a load test on a regular schedule might give you a clue about a slowly deteriorating battery if you follow the exact same protocol each time and record the exact voltage, but it won't necessarily help you predict those sudden failures caused by shorted cells or cell connector failures.  In other words, there really isn't any foolproof method I'm aware of.  Replacing them every year like we did back in the 60's might be an option, but with the prices of modern batteries it could get pretty expensive.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:22:52 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

I replace  ::) batt after 3rd year, using after that you are jusy on borrowed time.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »

I've owned Harley's for 20 years and with my experience batteries tend to go south soon after two years.  You can stretch life a little further but you might end up dead somewhere wishing you would have replaced at first sign..  Me,, i just replace every 24 months regardless.   

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.