Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: RINEHART duals vs d&d fat cat  (Read 25564 times)

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
RINEHART duals vs d&d fat cat
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »

Has any one had RINEHART duals and changed to d&d fat cats? What improvements did you see? Does anybody have a dyno charts to show the two head to head?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:25:01 PM by CVOjunkie »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: RINEHART duals vs d&d fat cat
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »

Junkie, not sure if you have a stock bike or a modified one, but here's a dyno chart of two SEEGs with identical mods, same tuner and dyno.  Mine (Rinehart true duals) is in red and JR's (D&D Fat Cats) is in blue.  You can see that the D&D comes in sooner on the torque while the Rinehart makes higher peak numbers.

I've ridden his and he's been on mine.  Both bike run stout!  I boils down to where do you want the most power since the two pipes do behave differently and you can feel it in the seat of the pants when you ride the two bikes.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:50:18 AM by 103tHunDer »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »

Junkie, not sure if you have a stock bike or a modified one, but here's a dyno chart of two SEEGs with identical mods, same tuner and dyno.  Mine (Rinehart true duals) is in red and JR's (D&D Fat Cats) is in blue.  You can see that the D&D comes in sooner on the torque while the Rinehart makes higher peak numbers.

I've ridden his and he's been on mine.  Both bike run stout!  I boils down to where do you want the most power since the two pipes do behave differently and you can feel it in the seat of the pants when you ride the two bikes.

Brian

What would you attribute the HUGE increase in torque from 3 to 5K to?
Is the only difference the pipes?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Just went back and looked again,
Yours has the SERT and his has the Thundermax.
Anything else you know of?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:36:50 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »

Also,

Which set is louder the Rhineharts or D&Ds?

The reason I ask, I have the V&H Pro Pipe and after a day of highway riding the thumping away in one ear is annoying. I stll have a set of Freedom Cycle Duals, which I am thinking of putting back on.

I checked with Jame Yuell and he thinks they will work well with mu Jims 120 build, which puts out 131 HP and 134 TQ. Going to the True Dual set up may drop HP and TQ a bit, however, I don't really care.

Thanks,

geezerglide
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:17:48 PM by geezerglide »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:39:29 PM »

Brian

What would you attribute the HUGE increase in torque from 3 to 5K to?
Is the only difference the pipes?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Just went back and looked again,
Yours has the SERT and his has the Thundermax.
Anything else you know of?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Chip, yes, the ECMs are different, but I attribute the difference to the pipes alone.  If you look at the dyno charts that Zipper's provided (T-Max on both bikes), you see the same shapes to the curves:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:44:59 PM »

Also,

Which set is louder the Rhineharts or D&Ds?

The reason I ask, I have the V&H Pro Pipe and after a day of highway riding the thumping away in one ear is annoying. I stll have a set of Freedom Cycle Duals, which I am thinking of putting back on.

I checked with Jame Yuell and he thinks they will work well with mu Jims 120 build, which puts out 131 HP and 134 TQ. Going to the True Dual set up may drop HP and TQ a bit, however, I don't really care.

Thanks,

geezerglide

Geezer, I'd say they're relatively similar decibel-wise (maybe a slight edge to the D&D being more quiet), but the tone is completely different between the two.  Both good, just different.  The D&D has more of an "exotic" sound for lack of a better word (more raspy and higher pitched, at least to my ear), while the Rinehart has a much deeper and lower tone.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:32:21 PM »

Chip, yes, the ECMs are different, but I attribute the difference to the pipes alone.  If you look at the dyno charts that Zipper's provided (T-Max on both bikes), you see the same shapes to the curves:

Brian

Your right!
That's very interesting!
Says a lot for the R/H's

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:15 PM »

103tHunDer,

Thanks for the response. Will  put on the Freedoms Cycles on the bike, as I already have them. Will bring back from Phoenix and install in March.

geezerglide
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:13:09 PM by geezerglide »

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 07:35:18 AM »

Brian

Your right!
That's very interesting!
Says a lot for the R/H's

I agree! More so with a 5 speed tranny.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »

Guys,
This is really confusing. I just talked to Zippers and they recomended Fat Cat 2 into 1. The salesman said all two into are just better with their 575 cam.  Freedom recomends their true duals for their cam and next is Thunderheader 2 into 1 . What gives?  Is the extra torque not important?

Mike
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

Guys,
This is really confusing. I just talked to Zippers and they recomended Fat Cat 2 into 1. The salesman said all two into are just better with their 575 cam.  Freedom recomends their true duals for their cam and next is Thunderheader 2 into 1 . What gives?  Is the extra torque not important?

Mike

Mike,

I installed the 575 cam and went with Reinhart 2:1 pipes (like the sound and the look better than D&D Fatcats).  I chose 2:1 only because the torque comes on faster and stays relatively flat to about 5K rpm, this was also the opinion expressed by Zipper's.  As Brian said, they are the same but different depending on your riding style.  If you like the tru dual look, go with the Reinharts.  If you perfer 2:1 the D&D's are real nice as are the Reinharts.  Zipper's also has a dyno chart for the Thunderheader 2:1 which, as I recall, had a little higher HP numbers than the D&D but about the same torque.  On a bagger, torque is what you want.  The Thunderheader is loud and ugly (JMHO) so I didn't consider it.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:49 PM »

Here is a more recent exhaust comparison provided by Zipper's.  This is from a 110" motor and not a 103" with their 575 cams.  Note that JK said the dip between 3200-3700 RPM in the D&D was later eliminated with additional tuning.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:53:40 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »

Brian

I was looking up some information for a possible winter motor project. I was just asking myself this very question. Just want to pass on thanks for sharing the info. I'm glad I did this search and found these postings. This site has a lot of good information if you take the time to look!

JW

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »

Don't rule out the Supper Traps 2:1 megaphones. They are a tunable exhaust and you can get your torque curves set where you want them. Most bagger bikes require low torque curves and the results equals a very quite exhaust sound. I'm using the Supper Traps 2:1 with 12 disc which is very quite, close to stock. They sound really good when you roll on the throttle. D&D is an awesome 2:1 exhaust but if you want equal or better performance and a quite exhaust setup, try the Supper Traps.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 10:59:43 AM »

Has anyone tried the fatcats with the quiet baffle?  I am contemplating this for my new SERK.  I had a nice long conversation yesterday with Doc and he highly recommends the fatcat with the 110 engine.  He said that with the stock 110 cam the fatcats really produce a good broad torque band.  I do not want a really loud bike.  I had some Bub 7 true duals on a 103" '06 watermelon and they were too loud for me.  I would like some feedback on what these sound like before I drop hundreds of dollars on an exhaust. 
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »

Additionally, the pics of the fat cats appear as if the rear head pipe makes some kind of radical turn when it leaves the rear cylinder.  Anyone have a close up of this?  I can't seem to find one.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »

Has anyone tried the fatcats with the quiet baffle?  I am contemplating this for my new SERK.  I had a nice long conversation yesterday with Doc and he highly recommends the fatcat with the 110 engine.  He said that with the stock 110 cam the fatcats really produce a good broad torque band.  I do not want a really loud bike.  I had some Bub 7 true duals on a 103" '06 watermelon and they were too loud for me.  I would like some feedback on what these sound like before I drop hundreds of dollars on an exhaust. 

The FatCat w/Quiet baffles is perfect for Stage I and II mods. And it sounds great. If you're really hot rodding the motor, I'd use the Big Bore muffler with it. But it's much louder. Don't use the Borzilla. It's too big. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »

The FatCat w/Quiet baffles is perfect for Stage I and II mods. And it sounds great. If you're really hot rodding the motor, I'd use the Big Bore muffler with it. But it's much louder. Don't use the Borzilla. It's too big. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well, thanks to Hoist, Doc and all of you here I will now have to spend another $1200 or so.  After much mind altering confusion I have made up my mind, fat cats, TTS tuner and that new K&N stage 1 breather.  Sad to say I will probably have all this stuff, and have it on before I ever get ride the d@mn bike as crappy as the weather has been and appears it's going to continue to be.  I hate winter!  If this real estate would turn around I would sell this house and transfer to Florida or Texas.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »

Well, thanks to Hoist, Doc and all of you here I will now have to spend another $1200 or so.  After much mind altering confusion I have made up my mind, fat cats, TTS tuner and that new K&N stage 1 breather.  Sad to say I will probably have all this stuff, and have it on before I ever get ride the d@mn bike as crappy as the weather has been and appears it's going to continue to be.  I hate winter!  If this real estate would turn around I would sell this house and transfer to Florida or Texas.

I had the Fat Cats with Big Bore performance muffler on my 110. Great sound but too loud. I now have the quiet performance on mine. Sounds good & still gobs of torque. THE MUFFMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

Be positive.  The timing will be perfect to have it all on and stretch it out during the trip to Eureka Springs to play with the other maniacs.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »

Be positive.  The timing will be perfect to have it all on and stretch it out during the trip to Eureka Springs to play with the other maniacs.

For sure will have to have it done before ES.  I don't think I could stand to ride that long with stock exhaust.

Dirkenstien

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »

Can someone please comment on what the major difference is with the big boar fat cat with quiet baffle as opposed to the regular fat cat with quiet baffle? Other than sound what are the pros and cons of each in terms of performance and where they help or hurt the powerband?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:41 AM »

Can someone please comment on what the major difference is with the big boar fat cat with quiet baffle as opposed to the regular fat cat with quiet baffle? Other than sound what are the pros and cons of each in terms of performance and where they help or hurt the powerband?

The Big Bore, whether with Quiet Baffle or not, IS NOT QUIET! It's for performance motors. It's slightly quieter than the standard Big Bore, but not much. The regular Quiet Muffler they offer works well with stock and slightly modified motors and is much quieter than any Big Bore offering, but might be too restrictive for highly modified motors. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Dirkenstien

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »

Thanks for the info, Hoist.

I'm looking to do the 575 cam swap in February and will be switching out the exhaust to the 2-1 Fat Cats as well. Think I'll be going with the Big Boar Quiet Baffle.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

Thanks for the info, Hoist.

I'm looking to do the 575 cam swap in February and will be switching out the exhaust to the 2-1 Fat Cats as well. Think I'll be going with the Big Boar Quiet Baffle.

So does that mean your going to use a FatCat pipe or a Boarzilla?

:nixweiss:         :nixweiss:        :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Dirkenstien

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »

So does that mean your going to use a FatCat pipe or a Boarzilla?

:nixweiss:         :nixweiss:        :nixweiss:

Fat Cat 2-1 with big bore quiet baffle. Part # 506-32BBQ. That's not the same as a Boarzilla is it?  :confused5:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »

Fat Cat 2-1 with big bore quiet baffle. Part # 506-32BBQ. That's not the same as a Boarzilla is it?  :confused5:

Nope, you're good to go. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.711 seconds with 21 queries.