Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -Questions on various upgrades  (Read 1057 times)

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

-Questions on various upgrades
« on: March 07, 2022, 08:08:04 PM »

Hi all, hope this finds you well!

We've got a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra with V&H headers going into 4.5 Rinehart exhaust.  40K miles and it's currently running fine.

However, my wife and I took a trip to Vegas to celebrate Christmas and rented a 117 RG Limited (through Ridershare, which by the way...is an awesome website!!)
Anyway, while I'm not in love with the Rushmore setup, I did indeed get hooked on that 117...damn.
I mean damn...

So, our girl is paid off and it's hard to think about selling it and buying the new CVO as the only thing I'd enjoy...is more power, and a bit cooler running.  I'm obviously looking for reliability too...

Therefore, I'm very engaged in this 110-117 SE conversion kit (and yes, I did read through the thread) and have some additional questions:
1) In your experience, would you have it installed "as is" or change any of the components out?  If so, which ones?  I'm not looking to deck the heads but have read quite a bit about cams (who would have guessed that!)
2) Regarding running cooler.  Has anyone installed the "Ultracool below-regulator aftermarket-electric fan and then some-oil cooler kit"?
3) Lastly, does the Screamin' Eagle High Capacity oil pan really make a difference?

To each of you, thank you in advance for your time and input!
S&T
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: -Questions on various upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 10:17:55 AM »

If your goal is more power and longevity my recommendation is boring your stock 110 out to a 113" with KB forged pistons. This is half the cost of the 117' kit. Power level then becomes scalable depending on compression, cam, and head work. The rest of the items that will complete the package are peripherals. At the time of the upgrades the crank must be checked for runout and tight rods. You will also need more clutch to hold the new added torque. It is very easy to put together a matched combination of parts that will outperform, have longer life, and cost less than the HD stage kits. Many of their components will still be utilized just mixed with tried and proven aftermarket parts.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »

Agree with the post above. Find yourself a reputable builder and put something together. Measure crank run-out and be ready to address it.

A proper 113" build will be more powerful and reliable than the HD 117" kit

On the heat side, a proper tuning device and dyno-tune with the right engine build should get you something comfortable.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

BobA

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »

I use the Ultra Cool oil cooler with fans and in Florida weather and wicking things up pretty well for 250+ mi days my oil temp Never runs above 237 degrees. I ride relatively hard as law enforcement here isn't too stringent and am very happy with the results. Just FYI

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 03:42:17 PM »

Sorry to be THAT guy but.....upgrade to an M8 and don't look back! If you do a little research I don't think that you'll find anyone who has regretted that decision. Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Good luck with your decision.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.