Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Lifter Failure  (Read 2073 times)

Bobhouck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

Re: Lifter Failure
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 06:39:32 PM »

What cam is running
Must have missed that ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 07:14:51 PM »

Instead of changing lifters every 3rd oil change, is it possible to go with a cam that has less of a steep lobe? That way the lifter doesn't get constantly hammered with every rotation.  I realize that changing the cam changes all the characteristics inherent to the build, but there has to be some reasonable solution.

It's not just the cam profile.  Spring pressures and a host of other things come in to play.  There are some good engine builders on here that seem to have figured it out pretty well.  I'd get with one of them and solve the problem before I would consider lifters a "Maintenace" item.  You will be money ahead in the long run.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 11:14:36 AM »

Instead of changing lifters every 3rd oil change, is it possible to go with a cam that has less of a steep lobe? That way the lifter doesn't get constantly hammered with every rotation.  I realize that changing the cam changes all the characteristics inherent to the build, but there has to be some reasonable solution.
Yes, the stock SE255 has steep ramps and that combined with poor quality lifters exaggerates the issues. The springs get eyes but the real issue in my opinion is a heavy valvetrain including the springs, low quality lifters, and a cam with high intensity ramps.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »

Don`t Forget the cheap nasty inner cam bearings that HD use, rather than using full compliment torrington bearings, they have plastic cages that the reduced number of rollers sit in, the pastic cages often break and cause all sorts of damage.
WHUFC   COYI

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 12:18:08 PM »

Harley uses INA light duty needle bearings in that spot. The same full complement bearings are available from INA and other premium Japanese companies that are equal to Timken that now owns Torrington.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.