Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 Springer tail light hard to see  (Read 1812 times)

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

09 Springer tail light hard to see
« on: June 02, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »

I recently purchased a 2009 cvo springer.  The individual i purchased it from said his riding buddies let him know the brake lights were not too visible due to the stock blacked out lens.  My riding buddies told me the same after my first ride out with them.   Hs anyone experienced this / found a solution?  I have been unsuccessful in locating a clear or red lens cover in the aftermarket arena.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: 09 Springer tail light hard to see
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 10:47:02 PM »

Did you remove the lens to see how bright the light is ?
Maybe the wrong bulb is in it, maybe someone spray painted the inside of the lens, maybe A bad ground.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 10:11:12 AM »

That's an LED light from the factory I am 100%sure

On my 2008 CVO Springer the unit has failed twice thru broken solder joints.

It's not meant to be user serviceable but I opened mine up cutting the seal with a box cutter knife , redid the breaks I could see , and reseaaling it with car windscreen sealer goo. Hold it together with a coupla elastic bands until the "rubber' sealer sets then snip off the elastic bands.

So sorry there are no "bulbs" to change or check
No illegitimi carborundum

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 06:16:03 AM »

Thanks gmeikle.  You are correct.  It is a sealed unit.  To clarify -- and address Joel's response -- the LEDs in the cluster are all working and bright.  The issue is the lens.  Turn signals on the 09 in Candy Cobalt are smoked.  The tail light lens is a blacked out lens.  The difference being smoked sense are clear with a smoky tint but they are still clear to see through.  A blacked out is more of an opaque lens.  This makes it more difficult to see the LEDs.  I was recently at Americade in Lake George, NY a couple weeks ago.  As I was leaving a rider was pulling in with my exact bike.  We got to talking and I mentioned the tail light being hard to see.  We looked on his and it was the same.  Those tail light lenses on the 09 are black outs.  I was at my local dealer yesterday.  They had a drag specialties Led brake light assembly that sticks on underneath the fender.  It is meant for breakouts.  Looks like it would fit but it would mean jettisoning the original.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 11:29:19 AM »

As mentioned, these are known to go out, perhaps yours is on the way out and dimming considerably.  I too had to replace mine a few years ago, and it is not dim at all.  I think you need a new one. 

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »

And you have a 2009 in candy cobalt?

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 12:25:44 PM »

I am going to pull it and break it open.  I’ll post the results. 

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 04:25:51 AM »

For the 2008 (at least) you can score new copy units complete from ebay for cheap. No doubt Chinese/Taiwanese/Singaporean or similar.

At that model year they are the same LED lamp cluster as any other Softail with the 200 rear tyre and Bobtail guard (LOTS of models 2006 to 2017)

I have a just such new one in the box, just arrived , indeed it's the complete fitting kit like you're fitting it to a bike with a globe rear taillight.

All I needed was the LED cluster alone , but all the wee bolts and brackets may come in handy.

I am assuming it's plug and play with no grief, but we'll see how that goes !

I am thinking the cluster on an '09 CVO Springer may actually be model unique one year only ?

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 05:51:14 AM »

Thanks!  I just looked the light up on ebay.  That may be an option.  I believe you are correct.  The 09 is most likely unique.  The 07-08s have a 200 rear tire, the 09s have a 240.  The fender and tail light naturally a little wider to accommodate.  But the light on ebay, even if it does not quite fill the entire bobtail should still fit the contour. It’s worth taking a flyer for $70. 

GLKSpringer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 06:05:55 AM »

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »

Try the Ronnies HD webfinder parts page to compare part numbers

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel/11/harleydavidsonmc

68349-07D

Looks to be the same part number for 2008 and 2009.

I would never have thought that !
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 09:02:47 AM by gmeikle »

TrAnc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »

this taillight was used in 2007-2009 CVO springer,  2009-2010 CVO fat bob , in fat bob FXDFSE was also chrome cover on that taillight and its still bright . It does fit every bobtail fenders (night train , cross bones , softail standard 200mm rear wheel) and fat bob 2008-2013 . In 2009 FXSTSSE3 the difference is in plastic what you attach to fender and then you install tribar led tailight. that TRIBAR led is just the same  . The easiest way to recognize if its OEM HD or chinese knock off are of course in corners DOT SAE stamping and "E" , but underneath licenseplate illumination OEM HD has only 2 LED , chinese has like 10 :) Chinesse plastic is chit and light isnt bright aswell.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 07:47:12 AM »

Well today I finally got around the fitting that ebay Tri Bar tail light. My riding mates finally got sick of the constant "flickering".

Slipped the new (Chinese made) unit into the original OEM fitting bracket kit even tho' the newie came with a repeat fitting kit.

It was just easier to reuse the original and slip in the new LED cluster unit.

First thing I noticed is the eBay cluster has twice as much length of wiring harness, and the same fitting plug but in white not OEM black.

Coiling the wire carefully it all fits together, and only the rear 2 fender strut Torx45 had to be loosened and 4 small Allen headed cap screws.

I reused the 4 original cap screws as they cleaned up fine with a bit of brake cleaner , as did the Torx 45 bolts which went back in with Loctite blue.

No time to roadtest but it did light up and the brake light worked also. First impressions in a now dark garage is it's bright enough, but the jury is out if it's as bright as the OEM.

Tomorrow we'll see on a sunny day ride how it works on the road.

Delivered cost to me was $75 AUD, which today is $47 USD at today's exchange rates. Worth a try at that price.

Shortly a good riding mate is going to open the OEM cluster (again) and on the workbench redo all solder joints and repairs. Put it back together with windscreen sealant.

He's a retired electronics tech and WAY better at that job than me! Then the OEM cluster will go back on the shelf ready for later if required.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2553941.m570.l1313&_nkw=harley+tribar+fender+light&_sacat=0

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:58:59 AM by gmeikle »

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 12:43:52 AM »

Original OEM rear LED cluster repaired. With more gusto then 8 years ago.

broken solder joints all re-tinned better than new

Don't look pretty but it don't hafta ! Can't be seen once siliconed back together.

That's neutral cure black silicone to stop /minimise further vibration damage.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.