Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's up with SE II's on Harley Website?  (Read 6614 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
What's up with SE II's on Harley Website?
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:05:24 PM »

Hey guys, in another string, the discussioin centered on hi-flow air cleaners, exhausts, and ecm recalibrations and its relationship to federal regulations. I personally wll hold on to my stock mufflers, etc. for the day that NH brings the hammer down regarding noise/emissions. I don't think grandfathering will happen. Environment seems kinda hostile toward motorcycles anyway. So I don't think they will grandfather anything.

On that note, I have noticed that Harley no longer has any alternative exhausts listed under accessories (for all models) other than the slip-ons which I understand to be street legal. What happened to the others --shotguns, slip-fits (SEII's) etc.? Why removed? Did Harley respond to some governmental pressure? Are they aware of some impending change? Is something going on here?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]    

rturn2mow

• HOG
Re: What's up with SE II's on Harley Website?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 11:12:05 PM »

I'll be damned....you are right. The parts you mention are now only listed under Screaming Eagle in the 2004 parts book mixed up with the slip fit mufflers on pages 488 to 503. I could not find them on the MoCos web site either. Hmmmmm.... ???...I am sure that they used to be there too. I even did an advanced search for 2 into 1's and it was a no go.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 11:19:43 PM by rturn2mow »
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 09:35:44 AM »

might be they werent making any money on them, to many aftermarket performace setups to compete with?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »

I was at my dealer yesterday and noticed that they had a seperate catalog entitled "Screamin Eagle Pro Racing Parts".  I picked up a copy and in going through it I noticed there were many references  to "Racing Application Only" and for use "off street" etc. more than the standard catalog.  I suspect that harley is trying to seperate the SE stuff from there regular book to lessen any problems from the EPA.  This may also be the reason that some items have been taken off of the web site.

By the way, the SE catalog has some very interesting sections dealing with basic performance descriptions that I found informative.  

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »

The MoCo site has the Screaming Eagle catalog for download now.  It is like 50 pages long, but this might explain why the parts are no longer found elsewhere.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 07:38:42 PM »

It's true guys.....HD will be downplaying the Screamin Eagle line as far as street use goes.  If you want the SE crossed flags items going forward, you'll have to look at the SE catalog.  It is their effort to comply with the federal regulations.  In two more years the federal EPA will require all motorcycles to meet the same stringent requirements that are now required in Calif.

By the way, I'd suggest to everybody, to keep your original stock exhaust.  JMHO. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 10:41:05 PM »

It's true guys.....HD will be downplaying the Screamin Eagle line as far as street use goes.

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 11:22:28 PM »

my only question is when all of those semi's will quit making all that noise and black smoke out their pipes... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 08:48:27 PM »

my only question is when all of those semi's will quit making all that noise and black smoke out their pipes... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I believe it's the deisel exemtion.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 09:30:26 PM »

two tourist areas in my area have police asigned to stop v-twin bikes for loud pipes,spring and summer months relentless enforcement(capatola,niles canyon,ca)- fix-it ticket reqires stock stuff back on bike to get signed off. a few bad apples raping pipes for no reason are to blame. by the way when stopped they check helmits,breath etc. smog certificates  in future i,ll bet on it -------ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 09:34:31 PM »

So JC, what does this mean really? You are in Cali and you did the mods. Who's checking? What good did the EPa regs do? I've heard of guys being pulled over for changed exhaust and being ticketed. But that seemed to be for noise. So the rest of the country goes to EPA. Isn't that for the manufacturers to make the bikes in accordance with regs. But once customers accept delivery, all the reg stuff comes off and on with the cross flags. So what part am I missing in this. It only seems logical that they (EPA) know this. And if they do, it only seems logical that some major compliance programs might be coming down the pike for noise and emissions. No?

They do not have a smog machine for motorcycles yet (to my knowledge).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:35:04 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 09:47:04 PM »

Thanks for elaborating JC. I'm well aware I'm obsessing on this issue a bit. However, its just my luck you know. When I sold half of my stocks after this latest down turn (bought at the bottom), I told my wife the Dow will shoot up another 1000 points--it did! Same logic applied to bikes--on the ride home from my stage1 the smog police will be waiting for me!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:48:06 PM by psychodeuce »

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 11:35:03 AM »

While riding away from home, I have seen little plates screwed onto bikes that I run into.  They look ugly, and screw up the image of the bike, but they must be EPA types of certifications that are required in some states.  Anyone know anything about these?  We don't have anything like that here.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 01:24:43 PM »

what kind of "plates" and where on the bike? i have seen small square plates by the font chit peg before for inspection stickers
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 01:33:43 PM »

I have a couple of these plates so that I can get on a Navy Base where they reqire a DoD decal.  No pictures of them but on the Deuce it is in the V of the swingarm attached to the upper chain guard.  This one is always visible but you would not notice it in passing.

On the SEEG I have it mounted to the Fuel Tank front bolt.  Get's me on the base but with the fork locked, it is not visible at all.

There was no way that I was going to put these decals on any paint or chrome...but I still needed access when on the bike.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.