Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: pictures of my 09 Springer with 16 inch apes  (Read 37469 times)

Torque

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: pictures of my 09 Springer with 16 inch apes
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

Bitchin' bike!! That Black/Green is the most awesome color combo on any of the bikes as far as I am concerned. Nice touch with the black apes. Enjoy!

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »

SWEEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 08:52:17 PM »

Rheiner could you rate on a scale 1-10, 10 being best both springer 08 and 09 ?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »

Sure, I'm happy to rate both bikes based on my subjective opinion and my bias for Harleys and my long ownership history of HD motorcycles going back 27 years. Taking away the add ons I made to both and going back to pure stock to compare apples to apples, I'd rate the 2008 FXSTSSE2 a 9.75 and the 2009 FXSTSSE3 a 10. They are both outstanding bikes and I have no complaints with either, only praise. I'd love to see a company in the world do it better. They both have superb performance and are artistically pleasing. Even though HD redesigned the front brake on the 09 to a 4 piston, as I said in an earlier post, I don't notice any additional braking power on the 09 vs. 08. Maybe HD was seeking redundancy and safety that the brake wouldn't fail as a reason to have 4 pistons. I understand there are technical limitations on what HD can do with the front brake on a Springer. If you want high performance brakes with ABS over the nostalgia and beautiful look of a springer, you'll need to look for a different bike--one that everyone else owns. When I ride, I'm always looking at the springs bouncing over bumps and just the look of them from all angles.

Having rode both bikes, the 08 and 09, short and long trips, the stock seat on the 09 is a nice improvement. I think because of the wider frame on the 09, the seat was designed differently but I'm not sure how. I took a measuring tape to the two seats and the stock seat on the 09 is only about 3/8 inch wider and about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the 08 from what I can tell. The 09 is much more comfortable on longer rides. However, if you have a passenger for more than a few miles, with almost zero padding, you'll want to have a spare seat. I ordered one made for the 09 Springer from HD that matches the inlay leather and design of the stock saddle so I can pop it on if I have a passenger.

I also like the 240 mm rear tire and much wider fender on the 09 versus the 200 mm on the 08. It gives it a higher performace look and feel to compliment the 110 CI engine and heavy breather that few HD bikes have. The extra chrome on the 09 swingarm and oil tank fills in the rear with a complete finished look so now with the 09, from wheel to wheel, you have show bike allure.

Now that I have rode the 09 without a tach for a few weeks, I realize I don't miss it that much, even though I have one ordered for it. Owning the 08, I can tell what rpm I am running at just by the gear/speed I am at. On the plus side of not having a tach, the front headlight shows itself nicely with the color and paint that matches the tank and fender. Take a look at my first picture above and you'll see what I mean. With no tach it also gives the handlebars a nice uninterrupted flow from grip to grip. So now I don't know if I even want to put it on when it gets here.

I personally think the paint jobs from HD on the 09 models, irrespective of color itself, is improved with a nice 3D look (you have to see it in person) with some flair and character that the 08 does not have.

If a person is honestly objective, you'd have to be hardpressed and stubborn to deny that the 09 has some nice improvements in style and appeal over the 08. Performance wise they are about equal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:25:41 PM by rheiner »

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »

Thanks well written. ;D

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »

Rheiner,

I have a 2009 on order (blue), and was also wondering about the tach and what pipes to install.  I saw one at a local store in black with the V&H 2-1 Big Radius.  I have the 2-2 BR on my Rocker C, and it is becoming so popular I think I want to go a different way.

Is the tach available as an integrated piece with the speedo?  I may do without one as well, as I really do not want to clutter up the bars.

Keep the pics coming.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

MikeD

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:25 PM »

I believe that is an option, the combo speedo/tach, but it's hard to look at.

SmokeEm

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FXSBSE - Sold
    • CVO2: 2017 FXSE (CVO Pro-Street Breakout)
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 11:31:49 PM »

That is one AWESOME HOT ROD! I don't think I could deal with ape hangers personally but man does it look SHARP. :2vrolijk_21:
Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
2017 CVO Pro-Street Breakout (FXSE) - White Gold Pearl/Starfire Black
(SOLD) 2014 CVO Breakout - Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange with Abyss Black Graphics
Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs
S.E. Pro Super Tuner

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 09:30:11 AM »

I just ordered Black Pearl brake, clutch, throttle & idle cables with Goodridge black end fittings. The idle & throttle cables are back ordered for a month though. I'm looking forward to the change and I think it will make the gloss black bars look better but we'll see when they arrive.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »

Sweet!! Mod on!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »

Rheiner,

Is the tach available as an integrated piece with the speedo?  I may do without one as well, as I really do not want to clutter up the bars.

I believe it is, HD part no. 74752-08 is the closest match to the stock look. I've about decided to go with this versus no tach or putting one on the handlebars.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »

I never use my tach, even though it is a cool little bit of bling on the '07 handle bars, esp. at night with that reddish glow. I can't see upgrading a stock speedo to include the tach since Harleys are generally shifted by feel. Buy then, everybody has their own preferences!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 07:58:20 AM »

Looks great, thanks for the critique and for posting...I have always liked green n black.

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 02:58:10 AM »

I have some comparison comments on the 09 versus the 08 Springers since I own them both. First, the new front brake provides no more braking power than the 08. That was a big dissapointment. If anything, less braking power. I'm serious. Second, even though from the pictures it looks like the 09 does not have a cross over in the exhaust, it does. The rear cylinder runs much hotter on the 09 with stock exhaust than my 08 where have I Rinehart cross backs. Even after a short ride, the 09 rear cylinder cuts out at stop lights because of the heat just like my 08 did before I put the Rineharts on. Currently there is no full exhaust you can buy for an 09 that I am aware of. The Rineharts make the 08 feel and sound much more powerful than the 09 with Rush slip ons. I did put the 08 with the new exhaust on the dyno at 1,000 miles but that doesn't explain the difference.

I called Rinehart to see what they say about coming out with exhaust for the Rocker, since Rocker exhaust will likely work with the 09 springer because they use the same oil tank and oil lines as the 09 Springer. Rinehart said the Rocker exhaust is well along in development but could not give me a time frame for release.

Having to buy a tach for the 09 is also a sore spot. We had to order each part from the 08 parts manual to put it together, about 8 parts. Those parts are on the way. I have a feeling I'll be riding my 08 a lot more than my 09, once I get the 16 apes on that bike, until I can get a decent exhaust on the 09. To end on a positive note, the stock seat on the 09 is much more comfortable for me than the stock 08 seat. I was sore after 50 miles on the 08 seat and no problems after a recent 100 mile ride on the 09 seat.

The stock seat on the 09 is really good looking.  Will it fit on an  08?  I'd like to try it.  I  think I'll go sit on an 09 at the dealership.  I already bought a reach seat that works well, but is very BORING.
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »

The stock seat on the 09 is really good looking.  Will it fit on an  08?  I'd like to try it.  I  think I'll go sit on an 09 at the dealership.  I already bought a reach seat that works well, but is very BORING.

Unfortunately the stock seat on the 09 springer will not fit the 08 springer. There is a lot of discussion on this site about other aftermarket seats for the 08.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.