Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is regular Red Line 75W-90 ok for my tranny?  (Read 1219 times)

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Is regular Red Line 75W-90 ok for my tranny?
« on: March 08, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »

I know most of you use the heavy shockproof, but is what I have alright? I had a bottle in the garage and figured it has to better than the Syn 3 in there now. What I didn't get was the bottle said it's not for use in MOST manual trannys because it's so slippery it could cause gear clash, WTF? ... I would think slippery is better for gears. Can I pour this in without any trouble?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Is regular Red Line 75W-90 ok for my tranny?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 11:01:01 AM »

I have used Amsoil's 75-90 without any problem. I don't see why the Redline would be a problem either. Go for it!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »

I'm not saying the 75W90 will not work, but per Redline's tech assist email I rec'd from them said to use Shockproof Heavy in the trans, MTL in the primary and 20W50 or 20W60HD in the engine.  The 75W90 says for differentials or for use in the trans of street driven cars (they have synchros, we do not).  I get mine from www.myoilshop.com    ..  

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:51:06 AM »

Thanks guys ... I know it isn't Shockproof Heavy, but it's all I have on hand until I get the right stuff. At least it's better than Harley's garbage oil.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

Thanks guys ... I know it isn't Shockproof Heavy, but it's all I have on hand until I get the right stuff. At least it's better than [highlight]Harley's garbage oil[/highlight].

Well, some people like HD oil and use it faithfully.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Not too many subjects like what oil to use elicit such mega responses and debates. I use AMSOIL 75w-90 in my tranny and it makes a big difference over the SE 20w-50 that comes with the scoot. I say go ahead and use it as well.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:01 PM »

I know most of you use the heavy shockproof, but is what I have alright? I had a bottle in the garage and figured it has to better than the Syn 3 in there now. What I didn't get was the bottle said it's not for use in MOST manual trannys because it's so slippery it could cause gear clash, WTF? ... I would think slippery is better for gears. Can I pour this in without any trouble?
Candyman,

I won't comment on the validity of the "so slippery" claim, but what they are alluding to is the synchronizers used in an automotive trans to match the speed of the gears when shifting.  I guess they figure the oil is so slippery that the synchro's won't have enough friction to slow / speed up the gears as required.

The 75W-90 gear oil is fine for your trans.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 12:28:10 AM »

Been running AMSOIL for years (20w50 in 2 holes,  severe gear in tranny),  never any problems.  This BS that the MoCo is pushing for syn3 (BTW...Came up 4th in side by side tests) in the tranny is crap.....look at the stats on wear tests)....there is always the number one for a given job,  but I've found that AMSOIL, overall, is the best place to find the answers.  There is the TOP DOG for each solution,  but I don't want to stock that many fluids in my garage.....AMSOIL has the best solution for my needs...Take a look.....
JMHO>>>>>>>>>

_BEagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »

Thanks again guys ... I dumped it in, but didn't have a chance to ride it yet with all this damn rain.

Update:

I went for a decent ride today with the new oil in the tranny and honestly can't tell any difference from before. The bike still shifts just as clunky as it ever did ... some of you talk like it would make a big difference, but I didn't see it yet. There was a big wad of fine metal shavings on the drain plug so I'm glad to get that crap out of there. The oil was pretty nasty too and it had only been in there for 1500 miles. Maybe it'll be somewhat better when I get around to buying some Shockproof Heavy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 12:07:16 AM by 05_Candyman »

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.