Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How to check for exhaust leak on head pipe?  (Read 23747 times)

woohoorider

How to check for exhaust leak on head pipe?
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »

I have a chirping noise on my newly rebuilt 110" motor, '07, (new crank cases, crank, top end, rings, cams, lifters, etc). After 2000 mi. and 3 oil changes(checking for metal, zero debris thus far), I have developed a chirping noise. I read a post earlier from someone with a similar noise in the 2k to 3k rpm range, same as mine, and some replies referred to a twisted crank , thus a brass bearing gone on con rod or crank end. I have zero debris so I;m leaning toward an exhaust leak(I hope hope hope), And have HD mechanic friends that feel it's a possibility. How can I check for a leak at the heads for this exhaust leak with motor running? Thanks in advance.

Ricks903

Re: How to check for exhaust leak on head pipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »

You can spray brake cleaner where the pipes connect to the head while it is running and see if that makes it miss or stall, indicating a leak.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »

If you can hear the chirp at idle, you should be able to feel the leak with your hands cold engine. very little time to do this until things get to hot to feel.  You can also use smoke  incense, punk, ect.   Doc  You can spray for an intake leak at the intake seals.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

Unless you are getting some decel pop from the exhaust I doubt this "chirping" noise is from an exhaust leak at the heads.  You don't mention what type of pipes you have, but I had a similar noise on my bike, thought it was coming from the cam chest, turned out it was a broken exhaust bracket where the headpipes mount to the transmission cover.  Wasn't obvious as it was difficult to see, but just put my foot on the exhoust pipe when running and the noise disappeared!  Since motor was recently rebuilt could be some misalignment of exhaust pipe. 
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »

You can spray brake cleaner where the pipes connect to the head while it is running and see if that makes it miss or stall, indicating a leak.

DO NOT SPRAY BRAKE CLEANER ON A HOT EXHAUST!

The fumes are extremely dangerous!  Read this...

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »

Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for posting that.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »

Unless you are getting some decel pop from the exhaust I doubt this "chirping" noise is from an exhaust leak at the heads.  You don't mention what type of pipes you have, but I had a similar noise on my bike, thought it was coming from the cam chest, turned out it was a broken exhaust bracket where the headpipes mount to the transmission cover.  Wasn't obvious as it was difficult to see, but just put my foot on the exhoust pipe when running and the noise disappeared!  Since motor was recently rebuilt could be some misalignment of exhaust pipe. 

I agree with this view. Before taking anything apart or spraying anything on the engine, take a screw driver and tighten all exhaust pipe clamps and inspect the exhaust brackets to see if any are broken. I would also recommend tightening the nuts on the exhaust studs at the head. If any of these are loose they can cause a chirping sound they sounds like its coming from inside the engine when in fact its coming from the exhaust. Good luck!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »

Unless you are getting some decel pop from the exhaust I doubt this "chirping" noise is from an exhaust leak at the heads.  You don't mention what type of pipes you have, but I had a similar noise on my bike, thought it was coming from the cam chest, turned out it was a broken exhaust bracket where the headpipes mount to the transmission cover.  Wasn't obvious as it was difficult to see, but just put my foot on the exhoust pipe when running and the noise disappeared!  Since motor was recently rebuilt could be some misalignment of exhaust pipe.  
I second this...I had 'birds'...not consistant..depended on engine temp, and strangely enough, ambient temp as well....was a cracked exhaust bracket tucked in an awkward spot to see. Searching for the cause, at Heritage HD in Edmonton I was told by Charles the sevice manager that to look any further would be 'on my dime' even though the bike was a month old, and they installed the pipes and other accessories.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

catz66

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG, 2010 SESG, 2013 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2016 RGUC RUBY & Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »

Here is an easy way to check for an exhaust leak. Get a few feet of vacuum hose. Hold one end close to your ear (NOT IN IT) and then run the other end around the head pipes at the cylinder heads. If there is a leak you will hear it through the hose. You can also use this to find squeaks and vacuum leaks. JUST DON'T TRY TO DO THIS WHILE RIDING. Might make for an interesting news article.  :D :D :D

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »

Quote from: catz66 link=topic=58420.msg 832022#msg 832022 date=1295717153
Here is an easy way to check for an exhaust leak. Get a few feet of vacuum hose. Hold one end close to your ear (NOT IN IT) and then run the other end around the head pipes at the cylinder heads. If there is a leak you will hear it through the hose. You can also use this to find squeaks and vacuum leaks. JUST DON'T TRY TO DO THIS WHILE RIDING. Might make for an interesting news article.  :D :D :D

This method is the best.....you can hear even the slightest leak this way. I take the end off my stethoscope and use it....works fantastic.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »

Spraying carb or brake cleaner on a leaking INTAKE will cause the engine to raise or lower RPM depending on how bad the leak is, but it will have no effect on an EXHAUST gasket leak.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »

I use a stethoscope like Doc said except mine has a 1/8" diameter metal rod approx.  12" long that allows me to get into tight spaces without getting burned or too close to moving parts.  I think I got it from Matco or Snap On and it has proven to be a great diagnostic tool for finding all those strange little noises our machines like to make.  It cost about $15.00 but its worth a fortune when you need it.
Jesus is Lord

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »

Can pickup a cheap stethoscope at harbor freight as well.   For intake leak you can try soapy water as well.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Ricks903

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:28:39 AM »

If you cover the exhaust with a piece of cardboard while the bike is idling and spray the head pipe where it connects to the head with brake cleaner,if you have an Exhaust leak, it while cause the engine to stumble.The exhaust valves are not completely closed when the piston begins its downstroke,sucking in the cleaner and causing the engine to stumble.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

If you cover the exhaust with a piece of cardboard while the bike is idling and spray the head pipe where it connects to the head with brake cleaner,if you have an Exhaust leak, it while cause the engine to stumble.The exhaust valves are not completely closed when the piston begins its downstroke,sucking in the cleaner and causing the engine to stumble.

I stated this earlier in the thread, but it is worth repeating.  Do not spray hot exhaust with brake cleaner.   The fumes are higly toxic!!!  The damage the fumes can cause are immediate and very serious!!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.