Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to check for exhaust leak on head pipe?  (Read 23749 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: How to check for exhaust leak on head pipe?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »

I stated this earlier in the thread, but it is worth repeating.  Do not spray hot exhaust with brake cleaner.   The fumes are higly toxic!!!  The damage the fumes can cause are immediate and very serious!!

:2vrolijk_21: X2!

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »

I stated this earlier in the thread, but it is worth repeating.  Do not spray hot exhaust with brake cleaner.   The fumes are higly toxic!!!  The damage the fumes can cause are immediate and very serious!!

Besides being dangerous, it is NOT the correct way to find an EXHAUST leak.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »

Read on another forum, Same problem and the guy found that one of the baffles had broken loose on the muffler and it was bouncing back and forth creating a chirping sound.Drove him crazy for a while.Hope this helps.

GoLarmo

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

Broken Exhaust Bracket possible. I had chirping metal on metal sound from tranny/rear cylinder area and mechanics thought that it was cam tensioner. We had just replaced all fluids and we were wondering if motor was shelling out for some reason. Noise more prevalent at long idle periods but went away at highway speeds. After looking for all reasons around engine and tranny, we spotted a hairline crack in the bracket that bolts to tranny and has a clamp to secure header pipe. Mechanic thought pipe clamp was loose but when we put screwdriver to clamp we finished braking the bracket in two places on the outside corners. When the bracket was completely broken away, the noise subsided by 75%. I was at Sturgis and went by the Harley tent and spoke with techs who advised that the aftermarket pipe installations with true headers usually resulted in broken clamps or brackets. Lincoln vendor welded the bracket and noise stopped. However, weld only held for 300 miles and broke again. Vance and Hines Monster Ovals on a 2006 Ultra Classic. Probably some bad alignment on installation. Broken bracket allowed header pipe to vibrate and cause exhaust leak at header.   NOTE: mechanic first diagnosed the noise as cam tensioner adjuster and was going to put on a $2000 geared cam assembly. I got lucky and decided to think about it and then we STUMBLED across the hairline crack in the exhaust bracket.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »

I had a chirp that I swore was coming from the engine at idle. Turned out to be the rear rubber hanger for one of the mufflers. Put a foot on the muffler at the back of the bike, if that's it the chirp will stop. Used a little silicone on the rubber and no more chirp. Funny how those sounds can migrate.....  :nixweiss:
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.