Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sorry!  SE II mufflers question...  (Read 2550 times)

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Sorry!  SE II mufflers question...
« on: July 11, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »

bear with me guys.   I got into the SE bike at the tail end and hence have a chitload of questions.

Can I get by with the SE II mufflers and no factory flash?  Has anyone done this?

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Re: Sorry!  SE II mufflers question...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:09:49 PM »

like everywhere else in life... you ask a hundred different people, you can expect a hundred different answers...  

my answer: minus all the technological mumbo jumbo...
...is it the ideal set-up? No.  
...can you get away with it? Yes.

[smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:15:08 PM by DJW »

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:36:23 PM »

No - I had these muffles on two Screamin Eagle bikes (Black and Orange and Teal CVO Electra Glides) and both times you need to reflash or you will be running too lean.

Do yourself a favor as I have just learned - dump those HD pipes and go with something else (on my Electra Glide Ultra CVO went back to Vance&Hines slip-ons) better sound, same price and I can't beleive it but better perfomance!!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:44:19 AM »

I have two cheap a$$ friends who put SE slip-ons on their SEEGs.  Did nothing else.  Both run and sound fine.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Not the optimal performance they COULD have.  But they do run ok.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »

bear with me guys.   I got into the SE bike at the tail end and hence have a chitload of questions.
Can I get by with the SE II mufflers and no factory flash?  Has anyone done this?

As is stated earlier in the thread here, lean is our problem with these and lean at start and warm up is the real issue.  Odds are you will end up searching for the solution like a lot of us with a chip or better yet a SERT.  

If you are going with a SERT I hear they may stop shipping them so get your hands on one now.  Otherwise you can always go with something like a Power Commander that will be available.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:49:58 AM by Rjob749 »

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 03:11:52 PM »

No - I had these muffles on two Screamin Eagle bikes (Black and Orange and Teal CVO Electra Glides) and both times you need to reflash or you will be running too lean.

Do yourself a favor as I have just learned - dump those HD pipes and go with something else (on my Electra Glide Ultra CVO went back to Vance&Hines slip-ons) better sound, same price and I can't beleive it but better perfomance!!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

OH BOY...To answer your question, YES, you can add just the muffler set up.  Will it get the optimal performance...no.  Will you run lean.  Yes.  If you get hot, you may notice pinging.  Be sure and run the high octane.  Keep in mind, you ask for opinion and you'll get a ton of them on here.    You can do it.

Now, if you notice a lot of pinging, you should get the ECM recalibrated/flashed.  
Cheers, J    [smiley=drink.gif]

P.S.  Enjoy the ride!!
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 03:15:51 PM »

Sorry, new opinion!  I did just that, and oddly enough my bke ran BETTER.  My bike was very rich from the factory and the new slip-ons helped a bit...

Then I got smart and put n the PC-III, the V&H 2-2 pipes and an air cleaner and actually tuned, and THAT made a big difference.

It may depend on how you are tuned now...  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »

Sorry, new opinion!  I did just that, and oddly enough my bke ran BETTER.  My bike was very rich from the factory and the new slip-ons helped a bit...

Then I got smart and put n the PC-III, the V&H 2-2 pipes and an air cleaner and actually tuned, and THAT made a big difference.

It may depend on how you are tuned now...  

Well, the program is just that.  A computer program.  There may be some "slight" changes in calibrations from when the ECM's are programed "at roll test", but these different calibration revs are slight to reduce studder at speed, or to help at start up.  They're nothing but a bunch of 1's and 0's.  The calibrations have to meet or exceed EPA emissions.  The bikes are programed lean.  That we all know and the EPA is driving that via the noise and clean air issues.  There is typically enough room in the calibration to support either 1. a free flowing intake  2. a free flowing exhaust.  If you do one, you should be ok still.  Do both, and you'll notice all kinds of things trying to get your attention without a flash or power commander or or or.  

Tacoma should be ok if he's still got the stock intake the bike came with and just wants to put on a free flowing muffler.  

cheers,
J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.