Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who has decided to go solo and remove the "protective plastic".  (Read 5534 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Who has decided to go solo and remove the "protective plastic".
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »

I took off my passenger pillion and I really liked the look of that rear fender....but I don't like the plastic film over it.  My wife isn't into riding at all...and removing it would lessen the "can I go for a ride" requests.  I did read a horror story about a guy taking the film off and the paint coming off.....so that by itself makes me a little "iffy" about it.  Has anyone done it?

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Who has decided to go solo and remove the "protective plastic".
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »

I removed it from my 08 springer.  I fitted the solo seat then marked the protective film with a sharpie point then let the bike set out in the sun to get good and warm.  I took my time pealing the film off up to the point where I had marked it for the solo seat then very carefully trimmed it with an exacto knife.  Film left a sticky residue that took me a good hour to remove with Goo-b-gone.  No problems with the paint and no ghost images since I did it shortly after buying the bike.  I guess the key to success is taking your time and not getting in a hurry.  When I used the Goo-b-gone, I would get a microfiber cloth good and wet and lay it over the finder for 10-15 minutes at a time to soften up the glue then remove as much as would come off easily then do it again.  Good luck.
Jesus is Lord

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:31:13 PM »

Just another reminder. Peal the protective film up past where you mark it to be cut so it's not laying on the fender when you cut it, about 1/4" inch, then lay it back down on the fender. Don't try cutting it while its on the fender or you might cut into the paint! If I ever decide to put the two up seat back on, I'll buy a new protective film and replace it.
Jesus is Lord

cbdeluxe

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »

Be very careful, I did the same thing and thats when I noticed my pinstriping missing. Not sure if this happened from removal but you want to heat it up
and go slow, and use goo-gone to clean up any residue.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

Yep, the wifeys hair dryer on low-heat works wonders.....then the goo-gone
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:39:06 AM »

Be very careful, I did the same thing and thats when I noticed my pinstriping missing. Not sure if this happened from removal but you want to heat it up
and go slow, and use goo-gone to clean up any residue.

That's the kind of thing that freaks me the f out!

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

Isn't the pin stripping beneath the clear coat!!

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:12:37 AM »

I took off my passenger pillion and I really liked the look of that rear fender....but I don't like the plastic film over it.  My wife isn't into riding at all...and removing it would lessen the "can I go for a ride" requests.  I did read a horror story about a guy taking the film off and the paint coming off.....so that by itself makes me a little "iffy" about it.  Has anyone done it?
Any chance the pillion seat could scratch the fender with out the plastic film?  My Softail Convertible had 3 rubber insert strips that prevented any scratching.  At the same time, I removed the same
plastic film on my Softail Deluxe and my pillion never did scratch the fender...tho it rarely went back on.   So the question is, why would Harley place that film there if it didn't scratch.....and did they really expect us to ride solo with that ugly film still on the fender???
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:20 AM »

Removed it from my SERG. Even with goo gone, that sticky stuff was a bugger to get off!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »

I removed the clear film a day after I brought my 09 SERG home and never looked back.  Threw a Corbin Solo on and that's that!

As I recall, the film peeled easily off on mine... no Goo Gone required. 

:2vrolijk_21:

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »

The loss of pinstripes scares me!

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »

Pulled the film of both my bikes.  Neither time I used any heat.  Cleaned up the adhesive with WD40 afterwards.

Neither bike were an issue, and that film really detracts from the look of the bike.

I think you'll be fine.  Hell, with a black fender, just park it in the sun for an hour to loosen it up.

I know it if was my bike, I wouldn't hesitate to remove it.

wpk

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

I had the dealer remove it before taking delivery.  They did a good job...it looks great...much better than with the passenger pillion.

ricklong

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »

I took all the plastic off on my wifes CVO Breakout, with no issues.  I used a heat gun to get the plastic soft and pulled it off slowly keeping even pressure. I then use 3M Adhesive Remover to remove the adhesive residue left behind.
2012 FLHXSE3:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, Rinehart Exreme exhaust, Roland Sands Clarity breather, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, Yaffee 12' bars, Focal audio system, C&C custom seat...etc

2013 FXSBSE:  Reaper 274 cams, Fueling camplate, Fueling lifters, Zippers tensioners, S&S push rods, VH 2 into 2 Big Radius, Heads & Jugs diamond cut, 10,25 mini apes, Legend Air ride, James Carter custom stingray seat....etc

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 21 queries.