Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flush mount gas cap and fuel indicator  (Read 1510 times)

Full Throttle

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Flush mount gas cap and fuel indicator
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »

Just in the middle of installing the HD flush mount cap and indicator. It was going well until it says
for 2004 and later EFI models "the grey wire will replace the Yellow/white wire found in cavity 9 of the speedometer connector 39(b). Cut the wire short and tape over the end with electrical tape.
There are no markings 39(b) and I have the softail parts book and cant find it in there. I dont have the softail shop manual (on order). I have flipped over the speedo and there are 2 yellow/white wires under one wiring cover. at the plug end only one yellow/white wire.  I have taken a couple of pictures, is this the proper plug?  If so how would you go about taking it apart to get the grey wire in?

I have made to many "assumptions" in the past. This time I check twice and cut once!

Thanks

Full Throttle

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Flush mount gas cap and fuel indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:17:05 PM »

close up of connector 39(b) ?

Canuck

• Senior CVO Member
  • "True North strong and free"

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:04:06 PM »

I bet Hd-dude knows the answer to your question [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  If he doesn't see this post, you may try sending him a PM.

Canuck
Crazy Canuck

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:22:55 PM »

Full Throttle,

I don't have a Softail manual so I can't say if you have located the correct wire and connector, but I do recognize the connector in your photo as a Packard.  The attachment shows how you can remove and install a terminal in this type of connector.  You don't really need the special tool, a pin punch of the correct diameter to fit the hole in the connector body will do the same thing.  Does the grey wire with the gauge already have a terminal on the end?  If it does, this should be a simple "remove one and install the other", with no wire cutting or terminal crimping required.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Full Throttle

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:41:20 AM »

Well....got it done! Aren't them there lights purdy! haha

That connector diagram was a big help.  Thanks

My bike is off the road now. In the spring I will still have to adjust the float so the lights will give me an accurate reading, but thats no big deal.
Hmmm....what to do next :)

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.