Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New Windshields for ConV!  (Read 10581 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: New Windshields for ConV!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

thanks, Wiz, I am all over that now!  Pork

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

Okay, put up another mark in the column, "Fatboy windshield".  Ordered it yesterday so should be here in a week or so.  Looking forward to breaking that wind the stock one is infamous for.  I learned something yesterday and the day before.  The wind that comes over the top of the windshield also brings the bugs with it.  Right into the front of your faceshield!  Very few this time of year but wait until mid summer, in the warmth of a calm evening while riding along side the river right after a good "hatch" of bugs...........
Yup, looking forward to the fatboy windshield.............. Now, I hope the moco doesn't come right out with the 'perfect answer' using the stock fairing.  Guess if they do, and I like it, I'll be putting a Fatboy shield on the craigslist.........

HermitIX

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible - Autumn Mist/Crimson Red
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »

Took my first ride today with the ceebailey's +4" dark gray windshield. I was disappointed. It was indeed a slight improvement over the stock version but not nearly as much as I was hoping for. It wouldn't be tolerable for prolonged speeds over 50mph. The first thing I did when I got home was pop the fatboy version right back on. I expect I'll only use the +4" on the factory base for a local bike night or something, and even then, only for a change of pace.

Anything taller than +4" in the dark gray would have created night vision problem for me at 6'1". It also didn't look as good as the factory version as the larger size seems to draw the eye away from the bike itself. (Note: It's not only 4" taller, but also 2" wider at the top than the factory version). I found it interesting that even when I ducked down several inches, there was still a significant amount of wind. This led me to conclude that a lot of the wind must be coming in from the sides so I'm not sure a ceebailey's taller than +4" would help much.

Put me down as another vote for the fatboy windshield.

goldfar

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »

"conclude that a lot of the wind must be coming in from the sides so I'm not sure a ceebailey's taller than +4" would help much."

I told you so...see my ealier comparison of the two shields up above.  And you are right, taller don't help, I had the 8" in clear (obviously, so you could see through it).  As I stated, wind comes in from the SIDE, so even 24 inches taller will not help.

They do accept them back (not the dark tint) if no scratches.  Charged me a 15% restocking fee.

2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Trent

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »

What was the difference with the CeeBailey at speeds under 75 mph? Was it better than the stock windshield that we have now? Or was the wind buffeting just the main annoyance at any speed? I really am trying to keep the look we have now, but it is a royal pain at highway speeds.

goldfar

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 09:06:31 AM »

If it is any better than the stock shield, I couldn't tell.  Maybe a smidge better, hard to measure.  Certainly not $300 better (or whatever they cost).  They are aircraft folks, think they would have tried it in a wind tunnel BEFORE going to market?!

I know what you are saying about the matching fairing, the look, etc.  but it just doesn't work. 

We have grown to love the Fatboy shield look.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

HermitIX

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible - Autumn Mist/Crimson Red
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »

My opinion is that it's about 20% better than stock. I was hoping for 40-50% when I purchased it ,considering it's 2" wider and 4" taller. I wouldn't want to send mine back, but I suspect most people would say it isn't worth the money. I might use mine occasionally to go to a local bike night or something, but never for any type of 30 minute plus trip.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.