Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why do we keep coming back?  (Read 3951 times)

mark

Re: Why do we keep coming back?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »

Why do we keep coming back?  Because when you're parked in front of your favorite watering hole (or filling up with gas) no one stops to "ooh" and "ahh" at a Suzuki.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

Well I came back when I could find a CVO ultra for sale new.  My next one will be a CVO breakout new or used.  I sure would like to have more.  Don't even care if I don't get a chance to ride it cause I love this ultra.  To me they are also a piece of art I would put a couple in the living room if I could get away with it. 

Todd. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »

Wow! I am a new member and do not know much about the folks on this forum. But if you are not a writer you have missed your calling. I am a harley fan for the same reasons you stated, though I can not come close to your level of eloquence trying to describe why. So I will just say 'ditto'!

Thank you for the compliment.    :P.   No, I'm not a writer.., I'm a Harley rider and the words I write are truly written from the experiences and the emotions I feel when I'm one with the wind on my MC.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

You have a lot to say about the Mo-Co based on your your experience with one of the six Harley's that you've owned.  What about the other five?  Your must have had somewhat of a different opinion to keep buying new bikes, especially after the bad one you described.

Most people I know that own Toyota's love them - they say they're incredibly reliable.  I bought a brand new Toyota back in the '80s and it was not reliable.  My point is that all car and motorcycle companies will occasionally build a crappy bike.  Harley-Davidson and Toyota included.

I owned a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with the 103 motor and I thought it was a great bike - no troubles whatsoever in 2.5 years of ownership and 15k miles.  If not for falling in love with my CVO, I'd still own it.   

The other 5 were great bikes and I had no trouble with them at all. My 2004 went 80,000 miles and never ate the cam chain tensioner (but it wasn't far off). I understand a bad product will get through on occasion and I accept that. What I find difficult to accept is the way a company and or dealer stand behind that product when a bad one does get through. The true test of any company is how well they take care of the occasional bad product. In my case they did not.
But my observation and post was not based merely on my own experience. It was also based on all the experiences of everyone that posts here about poor service and the "they all do that" line that the Mo Co must drill into every dealers brain!
I came back, begrudgingly to another Harley because I absolutely hated that 2012 bike and I could not get it fixed. Believe me I took a bath on that bike. But I do love my Screaming Eagle!

I test rode a gold wing, just didn't like the feel. I test rode a Victory. A smooth powerful quiet cool bike but I just could not get past its looks. The BMW and others of that style my wife said and I quote " You will not get me on that thing" I even looked at a Yamaha Venture but the lack of technology scared me off.

So I, like the rest that have commented on this post. I am hooked on the mystique of the Harley and I agree with many of the other posters that you get a lot of comments wow that bike is gorgeous or cool! Something along those lines. My brother in law that I ride with a lot has a gold wing and he never gets those comments! LOL 

So I guess that makes me a Harleyhalic too!!

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »

It started in 66 with the purchase of a Triumph Bonnie which I had to keep in a friends garage cuz Pop would have tanned my hide if he knew. That girl lasted 1 day before I broke her down and chopped her and 1 year before I got my first Harley. I've had knukles, pans, shovels, evos. I lived thru AMF and "it ain't leakin' she's just markin' her spot". Thru Honda-drops/bonfires and getting stopped by LEOs every 20 miles for nothing more than "We don't appreciate them 'sickles round here". Every one of those scooters had some issue BUT every one of those issue resolutions was the life line between her and me. When she coughed the wrong way she knew I was gonna fix her and I knew that when the chips were down that piece of rollin' metal had a soul and she would not let me down.
Now, I own the bike of my dreams. I remember in 2005 when those yellow CVO SEEGs came out. I actually FRAMED a picture of one for the garage. And now, 47 years from the start, after losing my 14 year project love, most of my garage and a lot of hair on my head due to fire, there she sits. The most beautiful scoot in the universe - 103 cubic inches (soon to be some more) of the sexiest lady to roll down the boulevard.
Why do we keep coming back? Because, for me, Harley Davidson motorcycles are more than metal & paint and a means of transportation - that's a Yama-Honda-Kawa-Suz-BMW-ski blah, blah, blah. Harley Davidsons have personality, have character, have soul.
But then what the hell do I know?  :nixweiss: A 63 year old kid that loves triple digit speed, real tight twisties, naked women, and beer!! AND MY LADY  :bananarock:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »

It started in 66 with the purchase of a Triumph Bonnie which I had to keep in a friends garage cuz Pop would have tanned my hide if he knew. That girl lasted 1 day before I broke her down and chopped her and 1 year before I got my first Harley. I've had knukles, pans, shovels, evos. I lived thru AMF and "it ain't leakin' she's just markin' her spot". Thru Honda-drops/bonfires and getting stopped by LEOs every 20 miles for nothing more than "We don't appreciate them 'sickles round here". Every one of those scooters had some issue BUT every one of those issue resolutions was the life line between her and me. When she coughed the wrong way she knew I was gonna fix her and I knew that when the chips were down that piece of rollin' metal had a soul and she would not let me down.
Now, I own the bike of my dreams. I remember in 2005 when those yellow CVO SEEGs came out. I actually FRAMED a picture of one for the garage. And now, 47 years from the start, after losing my 14 year project love, most of my garage and a lot of hair on my head due to fire, there she sits. The most beautiful scoot in the universe - 103 cubic inches (soon to be some more) of the sexiest lady to roll down the boulevard.
Why do we keep coming back? Because, for me, Harley Davidson motorcycles are more than metal & paint and a means of transportation - that's a Yama-Honda-Kawa-Suz-BMW-ski blah, blah, blah. Harley Davidsons have personality, have character, have soul.
But then what the hell do I know?  :nixweiss: A 63 year old kid that loves triple digit speed, real tight twisties, naked women, and beer!! AND MY LADY  :bananarock:

Well written  :2vrolijk_21:  I enjoyed reading your response!   ;)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

For all Harleys Faults and short comings, it has character.  No other bike get the attention, or draws conversation like a Harley.

For the most part mine have been reliable.  Since 2002, only one of my Harley's has ever left me stranded out of town, that is my my 2012 CVO Road Glide, the voltage regulator failed on a Sunday on my way to MI.  Luckily my wife's street glide used the same battery, so we switched batteries and rode 1.5 hours, switched again, rode 1.5 hours, switched again and made it to our destination in MI.  Dealer fixed it in MI right away.  Got the recall for it in the mail three weeks later.  The 2012 CVO Clutch Master Cylinder failed, in my local dealer parking lot....So wife had to come get me.

However my 09 in 42 K miles never had a issue.  My wifes 09 Heritage in 91K miles had a stator go out at 51K while still in the 2 year warranty.  My wifes 11 Street glide went 39K with no issues before I traded it on a 13 for her.  11K on the 13 Street glide no issues.  7500 on my 13 CVO King no issues.  03 Fatboy, no issues.

Will I get another?  You bet.

Most people I know that own Toyotas love them - they say they're incredibly reliable.  I bought a brand new Toyota back in the '80s and it was not reliable.  My point is that all car and motorcycle companies will occasionally build a crappy bike.  Harley-Davidson and toyota included.

While I loved my Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2009 it was the least reliable vehicle I have owned since 1981.  It spent more time in service for quality issues in the 24,000 miles I had it than my 06 GMC truck, 07 Impala, and my 01 GMC truck did combined.  The 01 Truck had 135,000 miles on it when I got the 06, which has 80K on it an the impala has 130K on it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »

There is nothing out there close thats why we keep buying Harley's !!!!! They make so many Models you got to like one of them.
DND

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »

for me it was the history, my 98 road king,"cracked case, blown cyl base gaskets and unfindable rattle" it was a good bike. it had 54000 on it, my 03 road king classic BEST ONE I HAVE HAD. only one issue was a pin hole in the tank pickup line in the 46000 miles i had on it. So i figuared upgrade to an new ultra(2010.5). well i have put just over half what a new GW would have cost me in just Fix'n the darn thing"motor boom 5000miles", primary"rattleing 6500miles"they all do that",radio"smoked", waiting on the compensator to go in the next couple of thousand miles, don't even get me started about the clear coat on my CVO. then got in a fit and got a 2012Night Rod Special, "thinking at least the motor was engineered by porsche" puked oil down the side of the bike in the rain at 360 miles, exhaust flange nuts fell off at 600 miles. Personally the history and mystic have left me. I have a bad taste in my mouth from it, and an empty pocket. The next new one will not be an HD. There are to many other companies that want my money and want to help me with my issues instead of "they all do that". But since i have fixed most everything with the ultra"not much left thats OEM" i will ride it till the wheels fall off.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

On my 4th HD in the last 10 years - I'm hooked.  We all likely have different reasons for "coming back," and it's probably not for practicality reasons!  For me, it's all about the fun factor.  I enjoy tinkering with old technology, the routine of cleaning that outdated but real "purty" chrome, and hearing that air cooled V twin.  I get a giddiness when riding a Harley that I have never felt with any other brand.  It makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever, but I stopped fighting it about 10 years ago and have ridden Harleys exclusively ever since. 

Brian

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »

Bought my first Harley in 69. It was total junk. But since then I have owned over a dozen Harley's and at time have had as many as four at a time as well as many other bikes ( Honda, BSA, triumph, ect.)
Over all I must say the Harley's have been pretty good. My 09 cvo ultra 110 was using oil at a rate of a quart every 600 miles due to a ring that was not installed properly at the factory and my GPS is junk but other than that ok. That being  said I think I will buy a 2014 Indian. I also have a few Polaris vehicles and they have been flawless so I expect the new Indian will also be. Besides Harley is just getting to crazy on there pricing with nothing new to offer but different colors..
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »

I'm sure everyone knows the definition of insanity!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »

Harley is Iconic Americana!  :2vrolijk_21
The vision that comes to one’s mind when you say motorcycle is that of a Harley!
Just as the vision of a helicopter is the Huey!
To me I cannot consider another brand. I rode those before AMF and those while AMF owned the MoCo that I considered junk, so much so that after 1,000 miles on a brand new bike (78) I took it all the way down, every single nut and bolt off the thing and started over. While there are still some flaws -every time I ride I get off my bike I am very pleased with the overall Engineering improvements that the brand has seen.

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »

Why do we keep coming back?  Because when you're parked in front of your favorite watering hole (or filling up with gas) no one stops to "ooh" and "ahh" at a Suzuki.

AMEN Brother!
2004 CVO Electra Glide (pumpkin)
2013 CVO Ultra Classic (tribal orange)
2005 Ultra Classic

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »

I LOVE them............ for a number of reasons.
I love riding them  8), I love fixing them  :oops:, I love where the stock is  ;)
John .
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 26 queries.