Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange No Start Event  (Read 879 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
Strange No Start Event
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »

While on a recent road trip, we had stopped along Main Street in Cody, Wyoming to remove some outer gear as the temperatures were climbing. We were a group of seven HDs, of which four were CVOs. As we attempted to leave, one by one the CVOs would not start but went into alarm with sirens wailing :huh2:. The other bikes had no problem. Pretty funny sight with the four of us scratching our heads while creating quite a commotion in town. I seemed to recall reading about this happening, most likely somewhere in the CVOHarley forum, and suggested moving the bikes. The others thought this was stupid, but after I backed down the street, my bike fired right up. The others soon did the same and we were on our way. Apparently a local source of EMR interfered with the HD security system. Burglar alarm, traffic camera, cell tower, Homeland Security, NSA, spy drone, who knows what, but they were all ready to call for a HOG road service.
Tom P.

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: Strange No Start Event
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

We had a similar experience in 2011 except all three of our bikes went into alarm.  My CVO, the wife's Limited, and my son's Sporster.  We also moved the bikes and were able to start up and ride away.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

Interesting! Now I will know to move the bike if that ever happens to me! I wouldn't have even thought of EMI being the reason...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

mark

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

How close were you to Area 51?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »

There were many such reports back when Harley first introduced the current security system in '07, but I haven't heard anything more about it in the past few years.  Were the bikes that were affected all older models, or did the group include late models as well?  If this is still a problem on current models then H-D needs to get off it's sorry azz and fix it.  The auto industry uses a lot of this wireless technology to automatically unlock the doors and shut off the security systems as you walk up to the car, then without any key you just push a button and start the engine. I don't see reports indicating they have this sort of interference problem.  You can bet if the cars with the same technology wouldn't unlock and then start up at that same location there would have been something splashed across all the network news shows, and the lawyers would be lined up to file suits against the auto makers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

next time this happens.  if there is a next time.  instead of moving your bike around, just use the pin override.  its a lot easier than pushing a 900 lb around the parking lot.  you may have to have someone hold your fob 10 ft or so away from the bike because sometimes the interference is enough to keep your bike from starting, but not enough so that your bike recognizes that there is a fob nearby, and you can't go into override mode with a fob present.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

There were many such reports back when Harley first introduced the current security system in '07, but I haven't heard anything more about it in the past few years.  Were the bikes that were affected all older models, or did the group include late models as well?  If this is still a problem on current models then H-D needs to get off it's sorry azz and fix it.  The auto industry uses a lot of this wireless technology to automatically unlock the doors and shut off the security systems as you walk up to the car, then without any key you just push a button and start the engine. I don't see reports indicating they have this sort of interference problem.  You can bet if the cars with the same technology wouldn't unlock and then start up at that same location there would have been something splashed across all the network news shows, and the lawyers would be lined up to file suits against the auto makers.

Jerry

In my case, the CVO and Limited are both 2011's and my son's Sporster is a 2009.

The problem has only happened just that one time.

Dave
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »

There is a spot near hydro lines where we frequent that the no start phenomenon occurs.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »

Jerry
Hello Jerry,
 The CVOs were an '09, '10, '12, '13. The other three bikes were '06 or earlier. Backed up about 6 car lengths against oncoming traffic. I'm sure we looked pretty foolish doing this as the pedestrians had that "What the heck!" looks on there faces.
Tom P.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.