Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: How many Springers with an oil leak?  (Read 9775 times)

towjamin

• It was worth the fight!

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 orange
Re: How many Springers with an oil leak?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »

mine has NO sign of a leak at all !!  hell it still looks like its brand new, :oops: but then again it has 12 miles on it.  :orange: weather has been too crappy to get it out of the garage, we will see how it does after Daytona, Jamie :zstupid:
DO SOMETHING,,,, even if it ain't right!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »

mine has NO sign of a leak at all !!  hell it still looks like its brand new, :oops: but then again it has 12 miles on it.  :orange: weather has been too crappy to get it out of the garage, we will see how it does after Daytona, Jamie :zstupid:

It is brand new!  Aren't you lucky though.  We are out riding in the nasty weather just messin up that pretty paint and chrome.  Yours looks great, doesn't it? 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

I'm with Jerry on this one...not nearly so many miles on the typical B motor.  The heat may be a contributing factor, but the main thing is how many miles it has on it, it seems.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

towjamin

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »

It is brand new!  Aren't you lucky though.  We are out riding in the nasty weather just messin up that pretty paint and chrome.  Yours looks great, doesn't it? 
yea it still looks new :2vrolijk_21:, i don't ride in the crap up in CT,I'm out in the cold all week long :santa2: and when i ride i want to be warm :sauer005:, if i ride in the cold my brain freezes  :rolleyes4: and i cant dodge all the morons :zstupid:! lol, Jamie

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »

Jamie..are you going there?

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

I only have around 2000 miles and knock on wood haven't had a problem. I know I dont have many miles yet but because of this forum I'm glad I'm aware that these problems exist and I will be watching for leaks after every ride. Unfortunately right now with the Cleveland winters doesnt look like I will be getting the chance to really even help the process along.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 01:18:41 AM »

It was 80 degrees here today,and not a cloud in the sky.Just thought I would rub it in,he he.1200 milses,so far so good.I have low miles,but what is everyones oil temp running.I'm at 225 degrees after a SERT and pipes.,but saw 250-275 before.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 05:51:48 AM »

1800 miles on mine and noticed oil mist around the head/cylinder when I pulled the pipes off to replace them with VH Big Radius. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the leak. HD had them pull both heads to check for cylinder liner movement. Both had shifted so they replaced the cylinders, rings, and new gaskets. Got it back a couple of days ago and now going through the break-in process again.
2011 FLHXSE2

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »

Thanks for rubbing it in I am definately jealous.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

towjamin

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 08:22:59 AM »

Jamie..are you going there?
should be going to daytona, with any luck, i own a towing business and plans are subject to change at any moment, just like the weather!  :nervous:

bad07sespringer

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:31 AM »

I lost a rear cylinder head gasket at about 15500 mi.Now at 17000 mi and rear cylinder base O-ring is leakin.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »

I lost a rear cylinder head gasket at about 15500 mi.Now at 17000 mi and rear cylinder base O-ring is leakin.

When you say you 'lost' it, did they replace it with the 16801-07A? If so, that explains why you're seeing the oil out the bottom. The 'A' gasket does a pretty good job of stopping the leak that leaked oil over the top of the fins, where most of us saw it first. The problem is that when the 'A' gasket fails, as it usually does, it fails in a slightly different way that allows the oil returning from the head to migrate sideways to the stud pockets and run down the studs and fill the the pockets around them up with oil. Once oil makes it to the bottom of the pockets, there is no gasket in that area to keep it from seeping out between the cylinder and case. This is why you're now seeing it come out the bottom.

When you see this leak it is natural to first think that the base o-ring is leaking, but that isn't necessarily so. The base o-ring goes around the cylinder spigot but that is located inside the bolt circle of the studs. The base o-ring's job is to keep oil from coming up from the case, not down the studs. Since the studs are supposed to be dry, there isn't any sense in putting a gasket outside their bolt circle to hold in oil that isn't supposed to be there. All of this doesn't really matter because when they replace the head gasket this time they will replace all of the o-rings too.

I'm living with the exact same failure, and have been for about 5,000 miles. I have just been cleaning off the oil film and riding it until they come up with a REAL fix.

In short, you've still got a leaking head gasket.

:indian_chief:

screaminfx

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »

I have an 07 FXSTSSE and experienced oil pouring out of the air filter at 1,800 miles. The problem was traced to the front cylinder's oil return galleys not being drilled through, eventually building up pressure in the head giving to oil no place to go. Saw the barrel myself, incredible, no holes! While disassembled my mechanic noticed oil weeping from the rear base gasket; all gaskets were subsequently replaced with an updated "graphite" gasket kit, the key is that they are not "layered" like the originals. Supposedly the updated versions have proven to be bulletproof.

Lastly, I had them check the crank run-out and oil pump; all was good and within specs. I have to say that my dealer has been awesome (McGuire's in Walnut Creek CA), let's hope the bike will be as well.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »

I have an 07 FXSTSSE and experienced oil pouring out of the air filter at 1,800 miles. The problem was traced to the front cylinder's oil return galleys not being drilled through, eventually building up pressure in the head giving to oil no place to go. Saw the barrel myself, incredible, no holes! While disassembled my mechanic noticed oil weeping from the rear base gasket; all gaskets were subsequently replaced with an updated "graphite" gasket kit, the key is that they are not "layered" like the originals. Supposedly the updated versions have proven to be bulletproof.

Lastly, I had them check the crank run-out and oil pump; all was good and within specs. I have to say that my dealer has been awesome (McGuire's in Walnut Creek CA), let's hope the bike will be as well.

That's one way to keep the head gasket from allowing oil to go down the stud pockets.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

havoc

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

1700 miles and I haven't seen anything YET!  To add some encouragement to some a friend with a 07 has over 6k, been riding the bike for about seven months and no leaks.  This is in the wonderful heat of the south also.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.