Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: EVO's main weak point(s)?  (Read 53953 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Re: EVO's main weak point(s)?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »

Better electrics: except the ACRs that fry their wiring, heated grips that last a month, electronic dip sticks that last a month...  Great stereos: Maybe it would help drown out the "normal" knocking mine makes and the MoCo refuses to even admit to (and they don't make the stereos).  Better brakes: my second set of rotors warped and will be replaced with Lyndols for a mere thousand bucks or so.  Batteries: They don't make them (fortunately).  No shaking: Mine does when you roll off the throttle ("normal"), and scissored cranks aren't exactly smooth.  Yes, these may be the good old days, but only because they will care even less as the number of bikes sold dwindles.  I've riden them for a lot of years, but this will be my last Harley.
And let's not forget starters, compensators, and the ever present lifter replacements! 

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »

Since I started this thread before buying an EVO, I'll give it an update - the EVO I bought (a 96 Heritage Softail Classic) is a jewel and I love riding it.  Oil temps almost never exceed 200 deg F, it always starts easily, and idles with a whole lot less shake and a WHOLE lot quieter motor than my 110" CUSE3.  I did put a 4 piston Hawg Halter brake on the front to replace that anemic OEM single piston brake.  So, since October 2010, I've put on 9000 miles on it.  Very happy with this bike, even though the tranny is a bit stiff to shift.
T

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

here is my 1991 FXR.  the only major problem I had was the inevitable base gasket leak at 20k or so.
After 15 years of riding, I replaced her with a S&S 124 and smile every time I take her out.  I use the 2006 CUSE for my long trips, but find myself riding this bike a lot more. She has been through a lot of changes and I think the only thing that remains stock is the frame
<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a>

Wow, what a great FXR!  What kind of front fork is that that's on there?  Inverted...but how does it ride?  Adjustable compression and rebound damping?  The 39mm on my pop's rides like crap and with the crap 11.5" P&A shocks on the back it rides more like a flying sofa than something I'd feel comfortable cornering in.  Anything above 50 mph in a tight corner and it feels like the rear end is going a different direction than the front.

I will say, hovering the motor between 2500 and 3000 when taking the corners gives me all the control and power I'd ever need in a bike.  The more I ride it, the more I like the rumble.  I just wish the price paid for an H-D equated to a superior handling bike with an low end juice of an air cooled V-Twin.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »

Since I started this thread before buying an EVO, I'll give it an update - the EVO I bought (a 96 Heritage Softail Classic) is a jewel and I love riding it.  Oil temps almost never exceed 200 deg F, it always starts easily, and idles with a whole lot less shake and a WHOLE lot quieter motor than my 110" CUSE3.  I did put a 4 piston Hawg Halter brake on the front to replace that anemic OEM single piston brake.  So, since October 2010, I've put on 9000 miles on it.  Very happy with this bike, even though the tranny is a bit stiff to shift.
T
I still have my 96 fxdwg. And at 54k I can still get on it and go anytime without worry. Need to upgrade brakes as you say as it was a little challenging towing my tent trailer. Heavier bike much better for that. I remeber being warned in the early days to warm up real good to avoid base gasket leaks which I have always done and never blown one yet. Unlike the three times on my 07fltcuse when the 110 was still in it. Sure wish HD still had that kind of Quality these days. I also remember my older riding buddys saying Hear no Evo See no Evo. And now they all say the Evo is the best motor. HA HA.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »

Compared to TC....... None.  :2vrolijk_21:

Yep, what he said, exactly !  :2vrolijk_21:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

I am a FXR EVO man. I had a new 89 FXRS but sold it after a few years. Missed it badly. A few years ago I got a used 2000 FXR4. Evo are great motor with a few small issues but wat better than the newer TC motors. I just got a great deal on a S&S V111 for $4,550. Getting it installed now. My old EVO motor runs fine 26k miles but wanted to take on my son's 95" TC Softail.

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »

Had some issues with my '99 FXSTC. Lost crank bearing @ 30,000. Lifters went @ 45,000 and took the EV 27 cam with it. Sometimes like a bad woman, but I just won't let it go. SE heads, single fire ign. Runs great, fits perfect. Little bad luck with the motor, but I still love this bike.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

Tennisman, there is an inexpensive tool you can get to adjust the rear shocks. Part no. HD-94455-89 "softail shock absorber spanner". Just undo the locknuts and adjust out to increase preload for heavier load or  adjust in for a lighter load. For local riding I usually ride my softail. With one person on it it is more comfortable than my 09SEUC, but not for a along trip,although I have ridden it from Simi Valley Ca. to Steamboat Springs Co. and back with passenger and too much luggage and had a great time.

Well, I did finally buy one, a 96 Heritage Softail Classic - luv that motor sound....is a bit rougher ride than my Ultra SE, but to be expected.  Sure like how cool it runs.  Is a fun ride.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

THANKS!  Great tip! 
BTW, that's a great looking Heritage!  We have the same pipes, I notice.
You can see my Ultra in this month's AI mag letter section with my camera-toting wife on the back takin' the pic.
Terry (aka T-man)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »

Free, Beautiful bike, I put a S&S 107 in my 95 Heritage. I did have some problems with it after 2000 miles (loose pistons).At the time I thought I was still going to be using it for longer rides or I would have gotten at least a 113" Happy Holidays.CAHDBIKER

here is my 1991 FXR.  the only major problem I had was the inevitable base gasket leak at 20k or so.
After 15 years of riding, I replaced her with a S&S 124 and smile every time I take her out.  I use the 2006 CUSE for my long trips, but find myself riding this bike a lot more. She has been through a lot of changes and I think the only thing that remains stock is the frame :) :)

best

Free

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »

i went from shovel to twin cam, never had a evo [kids] the twin cam with all its trouble is way way wayyyyyy better than the shovel.

i also remember guys with problems with case porosity and transmission shafts and clutches - but i had all those problems on the shovel too.

both twin cams have been so much less work and so much faster than the shovel that i keep wondering what the complaining is all about? 40k on a top end 80k per crank - MAX. real often guys i knew had to do the entire engine at less than 30k. as soon as i had to leave the choke on a bit to run decent it was time for a valve job pronto - every year the heads were off - i have all the special home made bent wrenches to get shovel heads off - every other year the crank, rod ends mainly. and a trans main shaft seal and main gear bushing while you were at it - oh and a chain every thousand miles or so. and oh i forgot the heads could only take guides to a certain size over - so new castings every 4 years or so - and the left side of the crank case would get to where the bearings would not press in. i have heard that there are now ways around this and ways to salvage those old cases and heads - but in 1980 it was "throw it away and get new cases and heads"

from all the complaining - id think my twin cams should need a total overhaul every 10k? ill check the cam bearings and lifters - those seem genuinely a issue. but were evo's that much better than twin cams are? if so would it pay to put a evo and evo trans in a twin cam bike [should fit phisically] ????

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »

So far, my bought-used EVO has been rock solid - I only have 21K on the clock but my twin cam was already in the shop by then.  We'll see as time goes on.
True what is said on the power end, but one can't compare an 80-incher to a 110.  I like the 110 power for sure, but the EVO is adequate for day rides, and I love the quietness of the EVO engine compared to the 110.
T

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

My 2000 FXR4 EVO had two problems. A alternator wire shorted to chasis that caused some weird problems before finding it. The other was the leaky rear cylinder base gasket.
Other than that it is flawless. But i wanted more power to take on my son's TC FXST so I just installed a New S&S V111 EVO.  My custom SS 2-1 pipes are being made so i put my old Python 3 pipes on. Still need to put a Barnett Scorpian clutch and a new S&S high strength rear belt.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »

Other side of bike. Don't know know how to post more than one pic

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »

My 2000 FXR4 EVO had two problems. A alternator wire shorted to chasis that caused some weird problems before finding it. The other was the leaky rear cylinder base gasket.
Other than that it is flawless. But i wanted more power to take on my son's TC FXST so I just installed a New S&S V111 EVO.  My custom SS 2-1 pipes are being made so i put my old Python 3 pipes on. Still need to put a Barnett Scorpian clutch and a new S&S high strength rear belt.
Sweet hot rod.  How are those spoke wheels gonna hold up to that power?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.