Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2003 RK cvo 103 cam choice  (Read 7467 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: 2003 RK cvo 103 cam choice
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »

It has the Screamin eagle hydro conversion kit....

Thanks Jim, if it wasn't for you, I'd have no idea what my components are,...lol! What's the difference between hydro conversion and Fueling? I just can't wait to ride it again.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »

Thanks Jim, if it wasn't for you, I'd have no idea what my components are,...lol! What's the difference between hydro conversion and Fueling? I just can't wait to ride it again.

Its the updated chain tensioner system.Fueling has similar kits available.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »

Ironhorse, I'd really love to see what the dyno sheet says & your opinion when you get the bike back. I emailed S&S tech dept - he said he thought my choice should be the 510's since i wouldn't need to change the springs (huh?) i mentioned I shouldn't need to & he replied the 583's should work well in the rpm range I'm looking for (1500-5000). Looking at the cam specs, I'm surprised S&S lists this as a cam for softftails/dynas. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set. Did you do gears, hydro conversion or stay with stock chains?
thanks,
Paul

Paul,

Here's the dyno sheet. I know I could have gotten bigger numbers with a 107 kit, larger throttle body, and head work. However my main focus with this build was a well mannered engine that would go another trouble free 80k miles.  Not having had any other cams in there other than the stock SE 253s, I can't give you a seat of the pants comparison to 551s, 575 or anything else.

What I can tell you is that the engine is smooth. I'm not too sure if the smoothness is the balanced, welded, and pinned crankshaft, the cams, the 2-1 exhaust, dyno tune, or new front motor mount. It's probably the result of all of those as built by Jim. The power is right in the area where I ride. Cruising at 80mph in 5th gear at 3,000 rpms the engine runs smooth and effortlessly. Just a roll of the throttle will move me quickly enough. Is it a head snapping pull when I roll on the throttle,..no. But it's more than I need, or I should say it's what I need. I am still enamored with the smoothness. I do a lot of slow speed motor-cop cone work, so I didn't want an engine that was loping along at lower rpms.

I can't say enough of the work that HD-Dude did at Metal Dragon. I went in with high hopes, and have not been disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

roadking321

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2003 SERK
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 01:33:00 AM »

Hey Mark, thanks for the dynosheet! Looking at the sheet, it sure does have a nice flat torque line right from 1500 or so & I like the 113 tq but am sorta surprised the hp isn't just a little higher than 95 but I'm I looking for that vs hp anyway.  I'm sure the bottom end work you had done did make a big diff in the smoothness of the engine.  I'm not digging into mine to that extent otherwise I'd have some head work done. You'll also get better numbers due to the 2-1 exhaust - I like what they do, I'm just not thrilled with the sound of most compared to the Rineharts I have. Did you get the regular or easy start 583's? Also what kind of fuel management are you running? Power Commander, Fuel Pak or what?
thanks
2003 FLHRCSEI2 - PCIII usb, Rinehart TD's, tour pak, Cust Dyn Moon Shinez w/ Triple play, Prog Monotubes, Prog 944 rears, Prog Touring link
2000 FLHRCI - 95" BB flat tops, ported/flowed heads w/1.9 int, 21N cams, Prog monotubes & 440's, TD Rineharts, 50A Cycle Electric, PCIII usb, SE clutch/spring & 84T VPC, Prog Touring link
1988 FXR - WG front end, PM brakes, Prog 440's CW Riptides
1985 FXRS - orig tranny, crank & rods but nothing else (not even frame)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »

Hey Mark, thanks for the dynosheet! Looking at the sheet, it sure does have a nice flat torque line right from 1500 or so & I like the 113 tq but am sorta surprised the hp isn't just a little higher than 95 but I'm I looking for that vs hp anyway.  I'm sure the bottom end work you had done did make a big diff in the smoothness of the engine.  I'm not digging into mine to that extent otherwise I'd have some head work done. You'll also get better numbers due to the 2-1 exhaust - I like what they do, I'm just not thrilled with the sound of most compared to the Rineharts I have. Did you get the regular or easy start 583's? Also what kind of fuel management are you running? Power Commander, Fuel Pak or what?
thanks

Paul,

I think I got the EZ Start cams. This was done to avoid having to install compression releases. I am using the TTS Mastertune on it. I also had Jim install O2 sensors in the pipes so the system can make small adjustments as needed.

Mark

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »

Since when does a motor with 8.7:1 compression need compression releases?
That said 95hp and a great torque curve would satisfy most but the guys that want bragging rights with higher HP.
For those the compression needs to go up, a longer cam, and head work done.

roadking321

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2003 SERK
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »

Yea you make a great point - I hadn't thought about the relatively low compression but I'm still thinking of buying the easy start with future potential of head work &/or HC pistons. I always hate buying parts then changing direction.  I just pulled off a cool Ness diamond cam cover on my '85 FXRS after about 1000 mi cuz it won't fit w the Carlini torque arm I had on it previously. I have 10.25:1 JE/Edelbrock pistons/RPM heads in it & it definitely grunts a bit before wanting to start (no comp releases).
2003 FLHRCSEI2 - PCIII usb, Rinehart TD's, tour pak, Cust Dyn Moon Shinez w/ Triple play, Prog Monotubes, Prog 944 rears, Prog Touring link
2000 FLHRCI - 95" BB flat tops, ported/flowed heads w/1.9 int, 21N cams, Prog monotubes & 440's, TD Rineharts, 50A Cycle Electric, PCIII usb, SE clutch/spring & 84T VPC, Prog Touring link
1988 FXR - WG front end, PM brakes, Prog 440's CW Riptides
1985 FXRS - orig tranny, crank & rods but nothing else (not even frame)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »

Mark, We did not use ez start cams on this build. Not needed.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »

LOL,....I feel like a kid who didn't do his homework,...if it wasn't for HD-Dude and his postings, I really wouldn't know what I have. What I do know is the results, and they are more than in line with what I expected. I still can't get over how smooth it runs.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »

When my 2003 was new I had the stock head pipe, V & H can's, PCIII, and Zippers air filter it dyno'ed at 85HP. Freedom Cycle owner Brad Yuill had a hot CVO set up back in those years for the 103. At 15K I added the YB14SC cam's, gear drive, true dual Freedom exhaust and it dyno'ed at 103HP. It made it a really fun ride. It now has 37K and has'nt had any problems with that set up. Interesting that Freedom also had .575 cams but didn't use them on the CVO's?

Mikey,

I have the YB13 in my wife's 04 pumpkin and have 85k miles on it, but note it was gear drive only back then dunno if that has changed with Brad.   The cams yb13/14 are great cams provided you like to run in higher rpm's had the 14's in my 07 SEUC but again was a late bloomer for power.   The Zippers 575 hit low and hard and are great for touring on a 800+ motorcycle.   I had these also in several bikes and would by far recommend them for the avg guy looking to enjoy his cvo 103 motor.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.