Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cracked Tour Pack  (Read 3247 times)

maugusta1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Cracked Tour Pack
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »

I have a crack in the front left corner of the tour pack going downward at a 45 degrees for 4 to 5 inches. The CVO custom color tour pack would be costly to replace. What would be a way to stop crack from increasing in length? I am thinking about removing lid first, then remove bottom of tour pack for repair. I would really appreciate all ideas on how to repair this. Epoxy? If I epoxy it should I make a piece of plastic about 2 inches longer than crack and epoxy it over the repair to support crack all the way around it.  Thank You

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Cracked Tour Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »

You need to pass on a regular expoxy kit and take the damaged part to your QUALITY collision repair facility. They can determine the composition of the tourpak and use a modern repair kit that will be compatible with the tourpak material. The repair should be able to be completed from the inside and would be water tight as well.
You might try the local automotive refinish jobber who could sell you the correct repair kit if you choose to do the repairs yourself.
Experience in this same situation talking here.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »

Don is absolutely correct but, if you can't get it to the right people immediately, you can drill a small hole at the end of the crack and that will stop it from running further. There is no way you are going to fix it correctly yourself.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »

In the old days when the TP was made out of fiberglass it was a easy repair, but now with plastic construction you need a professional.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »

I fixed mine myself but I have prior collision repair experience, Problem with drilling a hole is, you have a hole when complete. Using proper 3M or similar kit you won't. I did mine by using Gorilla HD tape on outside to reinforce during the repairs then bonded inside using the chemicals supplied in the kit, but you need (or my kit required) a twin nozzle "caulk" gun to dispense the chemicals. Work time once dispensed was short and if you had never done it before you could have a messy looking repair. You also have to prep the inside of the crack correctly to get repair to bond and correct grinding, sanding disc's for finish work.
Just saying, body shop urethane repair guy that does it for a living, and has appropriate tools should be able to make it almost invisible from the inside ( and will be with a tourpak liner) and the outside will, or mine did, just have a slight almost invisible seam where the repair is. Average person would never know mine had been repaired, color of the unit will have some effect on visible "crack" when completed, a dark will let it go away, bright orange will show more.
Couple hours of body work time and the correct kit would be money well spent if you've never done it before.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

Depends if its GTX (ABS) or older fiberglass. Harley has been using abs for several years now, that kind of repair is very hard to do and I doubt you'll find a repair shop to fix it. I've heard of guys going to the hardware store and using abs cement used of plumbing. Good luck with your repair.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »

Sorry Kojack but not sure who told you this but it is repairable. The auto industry uses all different forms of plastic and the corresponding chemical companies have developed repair kits for about anything you can break. This part is very repairable, it just needs the correct product and person to do the repair. Please stay away from plumbing glue, not to offend you but this is just not a good idea.
It will take a quality collision repair shop that repairs $1000.00 bumper covers and plastic inner structures (core supports etc), probably not a backyard, I have a buddy behind his house who paints kind of shop.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »

Hope you are right, I had one crack 3 years ago and could not get any one to repair it. Similar to op, 4-5 inches at the corner going down at an angle.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »

For anyone that does this for a living and can actually make it look good please forgive the following.  I am not by any means the artist that it takes to be to make these kinds of things look good.  In a pinch, however, I've had good luck with the plastic version of JB Weld holding pieces of ABS together.  In a couple of cases for a very long time.

Have used it where could prep and work on an interior surface.  I know there must be better ways.  It has at least made pieces stay together though.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »

Saw this and I might use it to repair my car top carrier.
http://easyabsrepair.com/

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:58 AM »

I know this thread is old but I have used a product called Plast-aid to repair and make new plastic parts for numerous different things.  It seems to be a great product with good strength.  Proper prep is of course very important.  You mix plastic powder with a liquid and it will glue, fill, form or even cast parts.  I first used it to repair a leak on my hot tub plumbing.  Worked great.
Bob

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 23 queries.