Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Fork Change Questions  (Read 2577 times)

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Front Fork Change Questions
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »

Ready to pull the trigger on  replacing/upgrading the forks on my '11 FLTRUSE.

Going back and forth between the Ricor Interminator and the Progressive Monotubes - I haven't seen a recent review/comparison of the two, are there any updated opinions??

Curious if there is anyone with ideas about a group buy for one or the other??

I am planning on doing the install myself - does anyone have any tips or experience with installing either system??

I would like to thank everyone in advance!!! This Forum is one of the most educational experiences for me. I appreciate everyone's contributions.

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

• CVO1: 2012 SERG CVO
Re: Front Fork Change Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »

I'm interested in the exact mod too!  Following! 
 :orange:
Sidecar Dan

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »

Well, I replaced the stock valve system with RICORs and I added Race Tech springs.  The install is pretty simple, only two things to measure, spring preload and oil.  Everything else is drop in, nut and bolt assembly with torque settings.  RICORs are definitely better than the stock set up, way better.  Greatly reduced nose dive and much better ride over the bumps.  I don't know anything about the progressive stuff, I'm waiting for Ohlins cartridges for my next fork upgrade.  If you have any questions during the install (RICOR) I'd be happy to walk you through the process.  The hardest part was removing and replacing the fork caps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:12:06 PM by NYSport »
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »

I changed to the Progressive Monotubes and went to the dragon.  more controlled, less dive, slightly firmer ride.  I like them as an improvement to stock but I cannot comment on others as I have not ridden them.  They were worth the money in  my opinion.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:25:10 AM »

I went with the Monotubes and love the difference in handling. I went to a 21" wheel at the same time, so don't know for sure how much the tubes did by themselves. Have heard great things about Ricors but have never rode with them. I think they are much higher in cost. PM sent
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:57:45 AM by 2ksoftail »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

Hi Guys,
After trying 2 different HD front end (std and SE) setups, have gone with the progressive monotubes  and 440 shocks, the bike handles so much better,
fitted them myself, I have no proper mechanical training but I can read instructions, the monotubes took me 2 days to complete, day one to strip down the front end and replace the previous with the monotubes, and the second day to rebuild, well worth the effort, also fitted the TCB braking system, I now have total confidence in the handling of the bike,  very stable under heavy front braking. Go for it, you wont regret it.
WHUFC   COYI

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »

I went with the works shocks cartridges in the front. It is a DRS set up with adjustment to the spring before they go in.   The difference is out of this world. I rode other touring hogs with progressive set ups and sorry to say they don't compare. ( am not that brand loyal but the difference was pretty big ) In the rear I went with the Works shocks Black Billet Trackers.  DRS springs and on the fly pre-load adjustment. Again the difference was enormous. Never any diving, never any bottoming, The ride feels so refined, it feels like a slick Japaneses touring bike. And that's saying allot!!!! I would confidently recommend this set up, as it was recommended to me by a well respected Harley tuner in Toronto. He was 100% right. The cost was $ 2000.00 installed.  Should of done this way before spending $$ on a engine build. Way more bang for the buck!!! Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »

The cost was $ 2000.00 installed. 

And I thought the Traxxion was expensive!

::)    :nervous:    ::)    :nervous:    ::)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »

sorry I forgot to mention this is in Canada. we get reamed in the rear end with the prices up here. I am sure our better half ( US guy's ) would pay 1/3 less.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »

Had progressive mono on a couple bikes now. Installation is very simple. Use standard Harley oil like 8-10 oz each side. Oil is not for Damping rather then to lube mono tube parts only to keep from rusting and such inside. Instructions were perfect. make sure you have good impact with 6MM socket to get stock inside out of the bottom of fork. And buy a couple of copper crush washers just in case. You can lower these as well, the three black plastic pcs on each tube ( remove or keep per instructions to lower ) or keep at OEM height. I think the ride is considerably noticeable with the mono tubes and at Eastern Performance in maryland they are really cheap and no freight. American Classic Motors also sells just check ebay
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »

Hi Everyone and thanks to for your comments . . .

Pulled the trigger on the Progressive Monotubes (thanks to 2ksoftail - he had an extra set!!) I think I am going to save my lunch money for the Legend Air Shocks for the rear. It is a real expensive way to lower the bike when needed (29" inseam should say it all) and still maintain riding clearance when doing the twisty mountain roads.

BTW . . . I Googled DRS Suspension and got a whole lot of medical guys that are having problems and not much on the shocks for the bike. One result did say that DRS was out of business and that someone else bought the dies and valving, but still can't find much info.

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.