Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD POLISHED ROTORS ISSUES  (Read 2645 times)

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
HD POLISHED ROTORS ISSUES
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »

hi guys I have a 2009 fltrse3.
just put brand new hd polished rotors on the front with new pads.
they are pulsing.jumpy.choppy.when I applied the front brakes.
im starting to think they are warped.
or is it because they are polished and it takes some time to scuff them in .
Im lost boys .

any ideas
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:46:16 PM by KID ROCK »

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: HD POLISHED ROTORS ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »

Can you jack it up and put a dial indicator on the disc to check the runout?  That's about the only way I know of to do it without taking everything apart again.  You have to eliminate that possibility first.  Second, did you have new brake pads installed with the new rotors?  If not then this could be your problem.  Pads are "worn in" to the rotors and if you change the rotors it could cause this type of action until the pad's wear surfaces match the new rotor.  If the disc runout is good then I'd install new pads.

Jesus is Lord

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

ya I put new pads on too.
just trying to hunt down a dial indicator today.
thanks for the tips bud.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »

Have seen rotors warp slightly due to over tightening them? Did you use the 'star' pattern to bolt on? Due to new pads would bet on a warped rotor (could/probably be only one.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »

Have seen rotors warp slightly due to over tightening them? Did you use the 'star' pattern to bolt on? Due to new pads would bet on a warped rotor (could/probably be only one.
[/quot

u used the manual for the for the job.and a torque wrench and I used the star pattern :nixweiss:

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »

:wall:  Oh no!  He followed the instructions!   :vrolijk27:
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

Did you have rotor warpage problems before with this bike, or did you just decide to change the rotors for looks or some other reason?  The reason I ask is that some of the wheels on certain CVO models have had manufacturing problems that resulted in the mounting points for the rotors being out of tolerance.  In those cases, bolting a new "good" rotor onto an out-of-flat surface would eventually cause the new rotor to warp.  Some people have reported having to replace rotors several times before finally having the problem corrected with a wheel replacement.

Anyhow, rotors can be warped right out of the box.  I assume you bought them new from a dealer, and if that's the case you will want to let that dealer know ASAP that you have a problem with those rotors.  If you run them any length of time, many dealerships will blow you off when you request a service part warranty replacement.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Polishing rotors makes the surface friction inconsistent in some areas. So it will grab the area of the rotor that is less polished harder than another area.  Looking at the rotor, you wont see the inconsistency. But the brake pads sure feel it. Get them exchanged asap. 
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »

Polishing rotors makes the surface friction inconsistent in some areas. So it will grab the area of the rotor that is less polished harder than another area.  Looking at the rotor, you wont see the inconsistency. But the brake pads sure feel it. Get them exchanged asap. 

I put new pads on when  I put the rotors on.are you saying change the pads again

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »

Did you have rotor warpage problems before with this bike, or did you just decide to change the rotors for looks or some other reason?  The reason I ask is that some of the wheels on certain CVO models have had manufacturing problems that resulted in the mounting points for the rotors being out of tolerance.  In those cases, bolting a new "good" rotor onto an out-of-flat surface would eventually cause the new rotor to warp.  Some people have reported having to replace rotors several times before finally having the problem corrected with a wheel replacement.

Anyhow, rotors can be warped right out of the box.  I assume you bought them new from a dealer, and if that's the case you will want to let that dealer know ASAP that you have a problem with those rotors.  If you run them any length of time, many dealerships will blow you off when you request a service part warranty replacement.

Jerry
thanks jerry. the old pads and rotors were perfect.

KID ROCK

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 orange crush
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

hey guys put aboat 500 kms on this weekend .the rotors feel much better but not perfect.
put a dial indicator on them today one is out 0.002 the other 0.004 thousand of an inch.
I guss they don't warranty them unless ther out 0.008  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 25 queries.