Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Bitubo Shock Upgrade  (Read 89120 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Bitubo Shock Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »

Most hardware store have chrome spacer in different sizes you may try that rather than stacking washers.

I didn't know there were any of those left.  :P

I was gong to contact Traxxion today and see if they can help with some spacers. Afterall, this is just a trial run to see if they want to market these for our Harleys.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:42 AM »

There is also one other fitment issue I failed to mention earlier, and that is the top mount runs into the front docking point hardware. The front grommet is relieved to go around the shock mount, but the washer and bolt flange hits the larger-than-stock shock mount. You can kind of see it in the following pic.

Since the base material is aluminum, a little bit of work with a file will fix that. Since I don't own these shocks, I didn't want to grind on them, so I relieved the washer a bit. It helped, but there is still some contact.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »

Chief...this is because you have made your tourpack removable, correct?  Stock bike would not have this hardware?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »

Chief...this is because you have made your tourpack removable, correct?  Stock bike would not have this hardware?

In my case yes, but this will be a problem on any FLH that has added the docking points for the passenger backrest, i.e. Road Kings, Street Glides, FLHT Standard, SEEG and anyone who has made a convertible from a FLHTC or FLHTCU.

I spoke with Dan this morning and he said to go ahead and mill a bit off of the top for clearance. That might even make the resevoir issue less prominent because the shock may be able to be rotated slightly to gain more clearance.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

Yeah, that looks a little too close for comfort.  The one thing that might make it OK, is that that part of the shock is stationary and would not be sliding up and down the bag, so the film idea seems like it would work.  Another alternative would be to put the fuzzy part of a piece of velcro on the bag and the shock reservoir so that you have some cushion there and protection on both the bag and the shock.  If flipping them around alleviates the concern, that would, of course, be the best, so I'll be interested to see what you find out there.

On a side note, I can't believe all the reports of leaky Progressives. :confused5:

Hey Brian,  how about putting the fuzzy part on the bag and the plastic part on the shock!  That way, if the pins fall out you won't loose your bag!
 ;)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »

Forget that mounting crap details! How you liking them Chief? That's what's important! We'll make them work if they're awesome shocks! I'm ready, just waiting on your Road and Ass Dyno Reports!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

Chief-We appreciate your efforts on the install.  Looking for a ride report too.  Kind of selfishly hope that they aren't much better than the Progressive 440's..  Would like to save money once in a while.  To me, the 440's were a vast improvement over the stock 12" air shocks.  Don't know if the Bitubo's will be that much better than the Progressive's (or at least that drastic of a change).   :)   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 07:39:38 PM »

Chief-We appreciate your efforts on the install.  Looking for a ride report too.  Kind of selfishly hope that they aren't much better than the Progressive 440's..  Would like to save money once in a while.  To me, the 440's were a vast improvement over the stock 12" air shocks.  Don't know if the Bitubo's will be that much better than the Progressive's (or at least that drastic of a change).   :)   :nixweiss:

yeah, what he said

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »

So far, so good. I had a Breast Cancer function this morning so I got a chance to get about 60 miles on them. They feel good. I set the sag as indicated in the instructions and am running on light damping in both directions.  I aimed for every bump I could find, and never felt them top-out. No way I'll bottom them running light like i was, but I could always feel the 440's top-out abruptly. These were very smooth.

So far, I like them. I need new shocks, and I think these will do nicely.

The real test will require fully loaded two-up and heavy, because that's where the 440's would bottom, even with full pre-load.

I am planning to go to Traxxion on Friday and let Max ride it for awhile.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

Chief, sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but what Progressives did you have?  Heavy duty or standard?  Length?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 04:58:55 PM »

Chief, sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but what Progressives did you have?  Heavy duty or standard?  Length?

I had the stock length 440 IAS. I've got about 35,000 miles on them and one of them is leaking.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »

Hey Chief, these things are sounding good already. After a little more riding, and you have Max put them to the test, find out when we can order them. I'd like to order ASAP. Ask if he'll do some kind of Group Rate. There seems to be a lot of guys standing in the wings, waiting to jump on these! Thanks! Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »

Hey Chief, these things are sounding good already. After a little more riding, and you have Max put them to the test, find out when we can order them. I'd like to order ASAP. Ask if he'll do some kind of Group Rate. There seems to be a lot of guys standing in the wings, waiting to jump on these! Thanks! Hoist! 8)

Going from the stockers it's an easier call Howie.  Just one upgrade step and no reduncancy.  I still want to see how much they're going to cost and couple that with a good idea of the general range of handling improvement.

My Progressives are good.  In fact pretty good.  I'd find it hard to justify another 800-1000k dollars just for shocks that are a little bit better.  At some point good enough really is good enough.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »

Going from the stockers it's an easier call Howie.  Just one upgrade step and no reduncancy.  I still want to see how much they're going to cost and couple that with a good idea of the general range of handling improvement.

My Progressives are good.  In fact pretty good.  I'd find it hard to justify another 800-1000k dollars just for shocks that are a little bit better.  At some point good enough really is good enough.

They've been talking the $650 -$750 range for these. That's only a couple of hundred more than the 440's. A lot cheaper than the Penske Racing shocks too! ;) Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »

My thinking is that a good shock is a good shock. The Progressives are a big improvement over stock because the stock air shocks don't have much damping in them to start with, but many people are very happy with the stockers. Those that have switched out to something like the Progressives see a good improvement, but those shocks are still limited in what they can do.

What do you get if you choose the Bitubo's over the Progressives?

1) More spring pre-load range, the 440's have 3/4" and the Bitubo's have right about 1.5".
2) Compression damping adjustment, to prevent teeth shattering jars from bottoming out over bridge abuttments. A passenger can easily adjust the compression damping while riding if necessary.
3) Rebound damping adjustment to prevent topping out.

Would I do these instead if I had stock shocks? Definitely. Would I toss a good pair of Progressives for these? Probably not, but if I had a good number of miles on the Progressives, I'd have to think about it real hard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.