Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Bitubo Shock Upgrade  (Read 89261 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Bitubo Shock Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »

Good to hear a positive report on the shocks, Chief.  I'll be over tomorrow to get mine on the V.

FYI for everyone: I'll be talking to Max/Dan tomorrow about pricing after this initial testing.  I know from earlier conversations that they will definitely not be anywhere near 1K, but I'll try and get a firmer price on them while I'm there tomorrow getting the forks done and the shocks installed.  The 150 mile ride home from there should be a pretty good test run as I will be doing some interstate and some 2 lanes.  I know the V is not a touring platform, but difference is difference.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 12:04:37 PM »

Would I do these instead if I had stock shocks? Definitely. Would I toss a good pair of Progressives for these? Probably not, but if I had a good number of miles on the Progressives, I'd have to think about it real hard.

Thanks Chuck.  That's the kind of comparative data to be interested in.  Appreciate your efforts here.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »

Good to hear a positive report on the shocks, Chief.  I'll be over tomorrow to get mine on the V.

FYI for everyone: I'll be talking to Max/Dan tomorrow about pricing after this initial testing.  I know from earlier conversations that they will definitely not be anywhere near 1K, but I'll try and get a firmer price on them while I'm there tomorrow getting the forks done and the shocks installed.  The 150 mile ride home from there should be a pretty good test run as I will be doing some interstate and some 2 lanes.  I know the V is not a touring platform, but difference is difference.

TC, separate from their ability as suspension components I'll also be very interested just what they look like on the V.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »

TC, separate from their ability as suspension components I'll also be very interested just what they look like on the V.

Me too, Don...I don't think he ordered the chrome caps for the top part, so if/when I decide to get a pair permanently, I would probably get him to order them with the chrome top part (where the black is going over to the reservoir.  I can put up with the machined aluminum parts, but the black is not going to do on the V permanently.

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »

Thanks Chuck.  That's the kind of comparative data to be interested in.  Appreciate your efforts here.

You're welcome. Hopefully what I learn will be helpful to others.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 11:33:20 AM »

You're welcome. Hopefully what I learn will be helpful to others.

Definitely helping me want to spend more money on stuff I had not considered before.   :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 03:28:48 PM »

Hey Chief, how'd this weekend feel on them? They sound like an improvement over the 440's although not revolutionary. They must be night and day over the stock air POS shocks we get stock. When does Max get to check them out? Are you discussing spring changes/options with him? And most important, WHEN CAN I ORDER THEM??? Thanks for being our Guinea Pig on this Chuck! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 03:48:48 PM »

Wow! So many questions Grasshopper.

Hey Chief, how'd this weekend feel on them?
My Mom is in town, so this weekend wasn't a riding weekend, but I did get out for about 60 miles or so on Sat. AM. I know it's subjective, but they felt real smooth, never topped out once, so the spring is not too stiff. I never felt anything that I didn't want to feel with them. I'm riding light right now, so I won't be able to judge load carrying and sharp bump absorption just yet.

They sound like an improvement over the 440's although not revolutionary.?
The improvement I see right now is the damping adjustment, especially compression. I was so tired of bottoming out the Progressives on bridges, I'm really looking forward to the first fully loaded ride to see how they handle nasty bridge bumps.

They must be night and day over the stock air POS shocks we get stock. ?
It's been so long since I've ridden with the stock shocks, I've forgotten how they felt compared to the 440's. I do remember being happy with the 440's except for the bottoming out, and I was using the heavy springs. The Progressives just don't have enough compression damping to soak up the nasty bumps when fully loaded. Topping out was also a problem if the preload was not backed off when the load came off, but that wasn't the fault of the shock.

When does Max get to check them out?
I'm planning on going back on Friday to discuss the fitment issues I found and to let Max ride it. They will have to decide what to do about the fitment. For me it isn't a big issue, but for some it may be more of a concern.

Are you discussing spring changes/options with him?
Not at the moment. So far the spring is fine. I set the sag, and it didn't top-out, so it's not too stiff. I need to load up the bike and see if the spring is heavy enough to handle it.

And most important, WHEN CAN I ORDER THEM???
Have patience young Grasshopper. Maybe we can get you well supported in time for the HS ride.

Thanks for being our Guinea Pig on this Chuck! Hoist! 8)
For you guys, I'll try out free parts anytime. I'm the lucky one this time.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »

Thanks for the thorough reply Chuck. Patience is not a NYC virtue, nor mine! I know, when I can snatch the fly with a pair of chopsticks, I'll be ready for the shocks, huh! ;D Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 04:07:05 PM »

Thanks for the thorough reply Chuck. Patience is not a NYC virtue, nor mine! I know, when I can snatch the fly with a pair of chopsticks, I'll be ready for the shocks, huh! ;D Hoist! 8)

Mmmmmm...... tasty.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »

Prices are posted for these in the Group Buy section.

TTS Mastertune

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »

Going from the stockers it's an easier call Howie.  Just one upgrade step and no reduncancy.  I still want to see how much they're going to cost and couple that with a good idea of the general range of handling improvement.

My Progressives are good.  In fact pretty good.  I'd find it hard to justify another 800-1000k dollars just for shocks that are a little bit better.  At some point good enough really is good enough.

Never thought I'd hear you say that Don!   :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 11:45:58 AM »

Never thought I'd hear you say that Don!   :huepfenjump3:

I know Ernie, it screws with that whole space-time continuum thing to think there's something that shouldn't be done to the bike.  There have been a surprising number of things that just weren't my cup of tea though.  Either mechanically or esthetically I just didn't care for.  So the red bike really doesn't get everything.  After all, it is still pretty much stock..... :huepfenlol2:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »

Update:

I did not get to Traxxion on Friday. I could not reach them on the phone and then they got hammered with some really heavy rain that would really have thrown a wrench into me staying dry. I know, wah, wah wah.

I will reschedule for this Friday. In the meantime, I will swap the shocks end-for-end to see if putting the resevoir on the bottom eliminates any close calls the resevoir may have with the saddlebag.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »

Update:

I did not get to Traxxion on Friday. I could not reach them on the phone and then they got hammered with some really heavy rain that would really have thrown a wrench into me staying dry. I know, wah, wah wah.

I will reschedule for this Friday. In the meantime, I will swap the shocks end-for-end to see if putting the resevoir on the bottom eliminates any close calls the resevoir may have with the saddlebag.

I just spoke to Dan and he's waiting on your return, Chief, to do some in-house testing before he orders them for us. They want to confirm that the spring rates are adequate to handle the max loads of these bikes. If a custom spring is required to stiffen them up a little, it will probably result in a higher price. I just want them right. If we need a custom spring, so be it! We can't spend this kind of money and still be bottoming out! After Chuck goes back there, they'll do some testing in-house, and probably place the order with BiTubo next week. They said they need 5 FL orders to get them for us. He has my name and shock ht. req'ts. for my reservation. How many others have called so far? Do we have the 5 yet? Please post here if you've reserved your set with them, so we know he'll be ordering them next week! ;) Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.