Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rear suspension bottoming out.  (Read 8782 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Rear suspension bottoming out.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »

Good idea.  What are you using to hold the pump in place on the saddlebag lid?  Velcro?

I took the foam liner from the box it came in and a couple webbing straps I had laying around, adhered them to the lid with 3M molding tape, and added velcro to the straps.  Stick the pump in the form fitted foam liner, pull the straps together to hold the pump in place, and so far it's been working for about 4.5 years.  Actually, the foam thing turned out to be overkill, it would work just as well with a couple decent sized strips of velcro.  Just need to pad the lid where the pump makes contact to prevent damage over time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

I took the foam liner from the box it came in and a couple webbing straps I had laying around, adhered them to the lid with 3M molding tape, and added velcro to the straps.  Stick the pump in the form fitted foam liner, pull the straps together to hold the pump in place, and so far it's been working for about 4.5 years.  Actually, the foam thing turned out to be overkill, it would work just as well with a couple decent sized strips of velcro.  Just need to pad the lid where the pump makes contact to prevent damage over time.

Jerry

That's a great idea.  It's essentially unused space there.  I'm doubting that I still have the original foam liner from the box it came in, but it won't surprise me to find it in the garage when I get a chance to look around.  If not, I'm sure I have something there with foam pad that can be used for this.  I don't know when I'll get to it, but I will give it a shot one of these days.  Thanks.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 11:13:08 AM »

I do the same as Jerry except I have the lid liners. They're good for light weight stuff like the pump, asprin, sunscreen etc.
Sorry if I'm getting to far off topic but it's where I carry the pump.
Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

My wife and I just finished a Fly & Ride on a 2009 Electra Glide Classic....bike continuosly bottomed out during the first part of the ride.  My wife was really getting banged around.  Stopped at a HD Dealership in Belzgrad, Mt and had the shocks pumped up to 30 PSI, helped some, but we still had issues...next time I'll go to 50 PSI!  Good input.  Thanks.

napalm
napalm

rb5064

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »

Forgive me, I am new to the H-D world and trying to learn.  I am having the same issue with bottoming out on my 2007 FLHTCUSE2...   The suggestions of changing the rear shocks eliminates the air adjustability, correct?  Since the last post to this thread was in 2009, I am wondering if there are any new suggestions that might be more relevant to today's tech that's available?

Thanks in advance!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »

First welcome to the site rb5064!
If you go look in the section on wheels,suspension and brakes you can read many threads about improving the suspension on your Harley.
It all depends on you taste, riding style and budget. Some just upgrade to newer H-D shocks and front end, most agree the stock air shocks are not very good when new. Then you can go up from there with aftermarket suspension where some companies can make the spring rate match your riding style and weight you usually carry. One of those companies is in this thread:
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.0  Even though this is from 2012 the thread has lots of info and opinions on improving your suspension.....hope it helps you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.