Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: CVO restricted parts purchase  (Read 21974 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
CVO restricted parts purchase
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

I just called the dealer about purchasing a replacement part.  I was told that it is a restricted part and that in order to make the purchase, the original part needs to be returned to Harley within 30 days of purchase, of the dealer is fined $5000.  This is not even a painted part.  I think that's a load of crap.  How can they get away with that?  If you slightly scratch something and want to replace it, but keep the original part just in case you do it again, but even worse, and want to put the original back on, since you realize it's not worth replacing it over and over...what gives them the right to take your part back?  Yes, they are protecting the CVO owners from seeing other bikes out there with the same parts we have, but this is an utterly ridiculous policy.  Does anyone know if this is completely accurate, or is the dealer giving me a load of bull?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: CVO restricted parts purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »

This has been past practice for some CVO specific parts.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »

have often heard simmilar, depending on what you are trying to replace you may be able to try the it fell off while riding excuse ( no part to return  ;) )
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

have often heard simmilar, depending on what you are trying to replace you may be able to try the it fell off while riding excuse ( no part to return  ;) )

I thought of that idea, but it's the general issue that's got me irked.  Look at an example:  let's say you scrape your left floorboard to the point that it's noticeable.  Your bike is only a few months old and you decide that you would like to replace it and try not to scrape the new one.  Well, you get it and you scrape it up even worse and decide that you want to put the original back one, since it's not quite as bad.  You decide that it's not worth replacing these floorboards with new ones every few months.  But Harley says you can't keep your old ones, even though you just paid full price to replace them.  Again, I think that's a load of crap.

Suppose you decide to replace your mirrors because you put a little scratch on one.  Then you get new mirrors and drop your bike, and really screw up  the same mirror.  At some point, you just say "I'll live with the little scratch" and put the original back on.  Harley won't let you do that?  Where did they get the power to do something like this?

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

I guess it depends on the part.  They would not let me buy the strip on the back of the TP but I retained my old tank and lowers when I had them replaced.  Go figure !!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:30 PM »

I would like to get the screamin eagle decal that the US get on their bikes as standard ( on the tail pack lights ) but it`s real hard to get or impossible.
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

See
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »

Most of the parts that are "restricted" would be ones that you can't get from the P/A book that specifically belong to the CVO/SE bikes. When my bike was only a few weeks old the orange tape/paint that is in the derby cover saying "Screamin' Eagle" started peeling off. The MoCo replaced the part under warranty, but I had to turn the old part back in (was given the same reason as the original post in this thread). So I guess it all depends on how you look at it... on one hand they are trying to keep the CVO/SE parts exclusive to the CVO/SE bikes that came w/them... on another hand they are saying you can't keep something you've paid for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »

I thought of that idea, but it's the general issue that's got me irked.  Look at an example:  let's say you scrape your left floorboard to the point that it's noticeable.  Your bike is only a few months old and you decide that you would like to replace it and try not to scrape the new one.  Well, you get it and you scrape it up even worse and decide that you want to put the original back one, since it's not quite as bad.  You decide that it's not worth replacing these floorboards with new ones every few months.  But Harley says you can't keep your old ones, even though you just paid full price to replace them.  Again, I think that's a load of crap.

Suppose you decide to replace your mirrors because you put a little scratch on one.  Then you get new mirrors and drop your bike, and really screw up  the same mirror.  At some point, you just say "I'll live with the little scratch" and put the original back on.  Harley won't let you do that?  Where did they get the power to do something like this?
Floor boards and mirrors are not VIN protected. You can order those just as any other part. The only difference might be, that CVO's may have a new "collection" a bit earlier than it is available for general release. So a little patience may help.

The typical VIN protected parts are the parts which say "CVO", "Screamin' Eagle", "110", or similar and the parts painted in CVO specification colors. I can live with that.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »

I would like to get the screamin eagle decal that the US get on their bikes as standard ( on the tail pack lights ) but it`s real hard to get or impossible.
I have ordered those for my '08 SEUC and also now for the new '09 SEUC. No problem at all, took one day longer than the painted set for the lights. Your dealer should be able to get them for you!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »

... on another hand they are saying you can't keep something you've paid for.

Okay, d00d.... but if this was a w....ty replacement, you only paid for one (1)! They're taking back the bad one and leaving you with the good one. In this particular case, that is no different than any other w....ty replacement.

On the other hand, if I *pay* out of pocket to replace a part, I won't be too happy about surrendering the part being replaced. In this case, I paid for both of them...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

Okay, d00d.... but if this was a w....ty replacement, you only paid for one (1)! They're taking back the bad one and leaving you with the good one. In this particular case, that is no different than any other w....ty replacement.

On the other hand, if I *pay* out of pocket to replace a part, I won't be too happy about surrendering the part being replaced. In this case, I paid for both of them...
I think we are saying the same thing. :nixweiss: I don't think that is right either.

If you bring in a damaged part (to prove you are not trying to get extras to sell good/new parts) then I think that would suffice... not like someone would buy a damaged CVO part just to have it on their bike. At least I wouldn't. I can see/appreciate why they would want to keep some parts exclusive to just the CVO's... how else can they justify charging us all that extra $$$ them. ::) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »

Floor boards and mirrors are not VIN protected. You can order those just as any other part. The only difference might be, that CVO's may have a new "collection" a bit earlier than it is available for general release. So a little patience may help.

The typical VIN protected parts are the parts which say "CVO", "Screamin' Eagle", "110", or similar and the parts painted in CVO specification colors. I can live with that.

Ride safely,
Louis

Those were simply examples that I thought everyone would be able to see the point on.  I know that all parts are not restricted, but the entire point is that if I am paying for it twice, they are both mine to keep.  Like someone else said above, you should be able to show the dealer that your part is damaged and that's it.  There isn't a real big market for damaged parts.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »

I had the same issue trying to buy a new air cleaner for my bike. I could buy everything except the logo in the center of the unit which said CVO 110, to get that part I had to have an old part to turn in or a police report which said it was stolen. Other wise the dealer was on the hook for 5K just as your dealer told you...Their justification was that they did not want other people using the CVO parts on non-CVO bikes to make them look like the CVO....Sad but true situation.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

I had the same issue trying to buy a new air cleaner for my bike. I could buy everything except the logo in the center of the unit which said CVO 110, to get that part I had to have an old part to turn in or a police report which said it was stolen. Other wise the dealer was on the hook for 5K just as your dealer told you...Their justification was that they did not want other people using the CVO parts on non-CVO bikes to make them look like the CVO....Sad but true situation.

But I can replace any part on my bike with a non-CVO part and sell the CVO part to anyone, and there's nothing they can do to stop that.  I think it's not only kind of ridiculous, but I don't remember signing anything that says that I agree to give them back a part if I replace mine with the same one.  Something about this just doesn't seem legal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.