Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BRAKESTER REAR BRAKE PULLEY CALIPER  (Read 3002 times)

jrmediatv

• Full CVO Member
BRAKESTER REAR BRAKE PULLEY CALIPER
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »

Anybody have any experience or pro's and cons of this product? CHROME BRAKESTER REAR BRAKE PULLEY CALIPER. Thinking about putting it on my bike!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: BRAKESTER REAR BRAKE PULLEY CALIPER
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »

Aren't the brake pads going to mess up that nice shiny finish if you ever actually use the brake? 

I was always under the impression that these combination pulley and brake deals were really only meant for show, as in to show off more wheel on the right side, and not for serious riding.  And when you consider that a Springer doesn't have the greatest front brakes, I'd be a little leery of the entire idea.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »

All things have a design that will accomplish certain tasks, this seems to have a form before function as it's primary use. However I would be interested in knowing it's contact area between the pads and the rotor. If the contact area is equal or greater to your stock rear brake, I would not be afraid of it and it might actually be fine. As stated you will lose the shiny part where the shoes have contact, soft shoes ease that but don't prevent it. If u are doing this to show custom wheels, pay close attention to spacing to maintain correct belt alignment. :worthless:

PS Also the weld is critical, if u are not up to the task, take it to someone who has the right tools for atleast that part of the job
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:52:33 AM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »

When it comes to braking on the Springers, the proverbial "weak link in the chain" in in the front brakes, not the rear.  And from a practical standpoint, the majority of braking power should come from the front brakes, not the rear.  What are you attempting to gain with this set-up? 

jrmediatv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »

I want to make the rear rim show a little more open it up a little, I don't like the fact the tab has to be welded to bike!! The front I've already decided to go to a Jaybrake set up 1 piece rotor 4 piston caliper. You are right the front brake is very week on these bikes.

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »

:beatdeadhorse:    some people have too much money, and not enough time. One great member here put me on Lyndall Racing brake pads, and they were the only thing that slowed this bike down, especially with this 40 year old front caliper. Dustless, noiseless, of course you need the Gold pads. I'm on my 4th set after 35,000 on the clock. Never mind, I'll just keep beating this dead horse !
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.