Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Blued Mufflers  (Read 5151 times)

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
Blued Mufflers
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »

:( Got my bike back from tuning after the 575 cams were installed and noticed the RH muffler (SE 65115-98B) was badly blued.  Some discussions were held with my tuner  [smiley=furious3.gif] and their claim is this is "normal" as the SE mufflers on stock headers are quite restrictive.

I was planning on changing pipes later as I have not yet made up my mind which way to go but it seems like I may have to decide sooner.  

So the question is should these muffs turn blue when being dyno'd or is this just dealer BS?   These guys have always treated me well but this time I may have had a taste of what several others have complained about.

Is there any way to remove this bluing?

Trying to figure out just how nasty I need to be.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Blued Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:53:06 PM »

I would tell you that it's  "normal" enough that you don't have a leg to stand on for a formal complaint.  I had a dyno one time with SE mufflers that had the PAT baffles installed and they are not restrictive at all. They blued badly, plus the guy that put them back on after the motor build didn't clean the finger prints off. That was the worst looking set of mufflers I have ever seen.  I complained, but to no avail.  Live and learn.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »

Polecat,
  Bluing usually represents a lean, or very lean condition.  That may be "normal", at that Dealership, but I assure you it is not, across the board.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13:01 PM »

Thanks guys for your responses.  Hub, I know you have been down to Tilleys before so your thoughts carry extra weight too. My first disappointment there and I have spent a pile in that joint.  After talking with JR I am going to replace them with some Fat Cats.  Hope they dont blue up as well. :(  Sure hope I don't have to go to Memphis to get the thing dyno'd!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »

Thanks guys for your responses.  Hub, I know you have been down to Tilleys before so your thoughts carry extra weight too. My first disappointment there and I have spent a pile in that joint.  After talking with JR I am going to replace them with some Fat Cats.  Hope they dont blue up as well. :(  Sure hope I don't have to go to Memphis to get the thing dyno'd!
Like Hub said, it's usually caused by an overly lean mixture...unfortunately, with the exception of a few pipe/muffler manufacturers, they put a disclaimer right on their adds that they are not responsible for blueing as that is a result of tuning of the motorcyce and not the manufacturing of the pipes/mufflers.  

Good luck with the D&D's but find a reputable tuner in the area, that will set that bike up right for you....

Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »

Thanks guys for your responses.  Hub, I know you have been down to Tilleys before so your thoughts carry extra weight too. My first disappointment there and I have spent a pile in that joint.  After talking with JR I am going to replace them with some Fat Cats.  Hope they dont blue up as well. :(  [highlight]Sure hope I don't have to go to Memphis to get the thing dyno'd![/highlight]

Come on down!!! We have a great tuner and I got a place you can stay....right next to the goats and across from da pigs! ;D [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JR [smiley=bananarock.gif]

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »

Hey JR!

A great offer.  I do love Memphis.  The only problem is a long trip with a box of pipes strapped to my back!!

I have heard a lot of great things about your dealer there.  But Tilleys here has always been good to me in the past.  Gonna give them one more shot.  I may eat those words though... :(

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »

Like Hub said, it's usually caused by an overly lean mixture...unfortunately, with the exception of a few pipe/muffler manufacturers, they put a disclaimer right on their adds that they are not responsible for blueing as that is a result of tuning of the motorcyce and not the manufacturing of the pipes/mufflers.

There's a lot of opinions out there about chrome and heat dicoloration.  It's really just a combination of physics and chemistry.  Get chrome plating above 900 degrees F and it will discolor.  Exhaust gases at the head are routinely above 900 degrees.  As for lean conditions causiing it, apparently it can be caused by rich conditions as well.  This from the Khrome Werks website:

"Is exhaust bluing a warrantable condition?

No. All chrome plated steel exhaust pipes or mufflers will "blue" or discolor when the surface temperature reaches 900°F. This can occur if the fuel mixture is too rich. Instead of the charge burning mostly in the combustion chamber, the mixture continues to burn after the exhaust valve opens, down the pipe, causing extreme heat and bluing of the metal and its plated surface in the most restrictive areas - most commonly the bends or the baffle area. Cleaning products, such as Blue Buster™, are available and when properly used are quite effective in removing most discoloration from pipes. Heat shields are now available for 3" mufflers."

In my experience, you can lessen but not completely eliminate discoloration, regardless of how well the motor is tuned.  Painting the inside of new pipes with high-temp paint helps some.  But heck, when I first started riding, folks liked that blue/gold color around the heads--it meant the bike actually got ridden.  Back then, those who didn't like the blueing wrapped thin copper wire around the top of their pipes to act as a secondary heat sink but not even that stopped it entirely.   Most though, saw it as a badge of honor sort of thing.  Like faded Levi's as opposed to brand new.  Times have changed.  And that's why heat shields have gotten larger and larger.

Now if you're getting discoloration down around the mufflers, there might be something to complain about, chrome-wise, or something wrong elsewhere.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »

Hey JR!

A great offer.  I do love Memphis.  The only problem is a long trip with a box of pipes strapped to my back!!

I have heard a lot of great things about your dealer there.  But Tilleys here has always been good to me in the past.  Gonna give them one more shot.  I may eat those words though... :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Polecat.  Did you talk to Tilley about your situation?  Did Neil tune your Motor?  They have always treated my "LedSled", like it belonged to them.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »

:(
Is there any way to remove this bluing?

Trying to figure out just how nasty I need to be.

Ultra, have you considered running a set of muffler shields to cover the bluing? I don’t recall off hand the specific application of the shield to the muffler you list; maybe it’s worth considering.

djkak

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:41:50 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Polecat.  Did you talk to Tilley about your situation?  Did Neil tune your Motor?  They have always treated my "LedSled", like it belonged to them.  Later--HUBBARD

Only spoke so far with Toby but I suspect Don or John will be next.  I dropped it back off and it should be ready today.  Like I said before, they have always taken good care of me but this time rubbed me wrong.  To see a muffler blued half way back took me quite by surprise.  Dean tuned it, maybe thats the problem...

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:43:15 AM »

Ultra, have you considered running a set of muffler shields to cover the bluing? I don’t recall off hand the specific application of the shield to the muffler you list; maybe it’s worth considering.

djkak

Thats actually a good idea I had not thought of.  Wonder if the stock ones will work?  I still have them.  Thanks!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »

Hey djkak!

I put the stock heat shields over the SE muffs, and they fit perfectly.

Problem solved. . .for now.  Until I have to scratch the D&D Fatcats itch!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »

Hey djkak!

I put the stock heat shields over the SE muffs, and they fit perfectly.

Problem solved. . .for now.  Until I have to scratch the D&D Fatcats itch!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
You will love the D&D Fatcats [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Easy install and come with heatshileds already installed and use stock mounts with no fitment issues [smiley=coolblue.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 08:55:41 PM »

Only spoke so far with Toby but I suspect Don or John will be next.  I dropped it back off and it should be ready today.  Like I said before, they have always taken good care of me but this time rubbed me wrong.  To see a muffler blued half way back took me quite by surprise.  Dean tuned it, maybe thats the problem...

Can't help you there, Polecat.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Neal is the only one to ever wrench my Motor.  Hope everything works out good for you.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Later--HUBBARD
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.