Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP... EFI Tuning?  (Read 2319 times)

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE
HELP... EFI Tuning?
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

Hello everybody...First, please forgive me because I am very new (and ignorant) to the EFI world  :-\   But reading through these threads, I need to ask a few questions? I bought a " Screaming Eagle" FXDSE motorcycle....I would have thought that it had a SE race tuner alredy installed, and a SE intake?  Am I costly mistaken $$  ?   One of the major reasons I bought the CVO SE ( other than it's looks  8) ) was that I thought it would have all the SE goods already installed, ( tuner, intake, etc....) other than the exhaust (DAM EPA)   Now I'm starting to bum out  :(    All this talk about HAVING to map, and retune, over intake, and exhast mods is depressing, not to mention the "out of pocket" blow!!!   :-X   can any of you shed some GOOD NEWS my way.....I've only had this bike a month....rode it 3 times, and am changing my baffles this week....I don't want to F* anything up by putting in new baffles...and letting it run as is from factory that way.   

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: HELP... EFI Tuning?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:05:19 PM »

Hello everybody...First, please forgive me because I am very new (and ignorant) to the EFI world  :-\   But reading through these threads, I need to ask a few questions? I bought a " Screaming Eagle" FXDSE motorcycle....I would have thought that it had a SE race tuner alredy installed, and a SE intake?  Am I costly mistaken $$  ?   One of the major reasons I bought the CVO SE ( other than it's looks  8) ) was that I thought it would have all the SE goods already installed, ( tuner, intake, etc....) other than the exhaust (DAM EPA)   Now I'm starting to bum out  :(    All this talk about HAVING to map, and retune, over intake, and exhast mods is depressing, not to mention the "out of pocket" blow!!!   :-X   can any of you shed some GOOD NEWS my way.....I've only had this bike a month....rode it 3 times, and am changing my baffles this week....I don't want to F* anything up by putting in new baffles...and letting it run as is from factory that way.   

Jack, you're in good shape if you have the SERT already. Find yourself a good tuner who knows how to tune with SERT. Order a new exhaust system (not baffles) and have him Dyno-tune it. Do what your tuner recommends! You should be fine if you trust your tuner! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:11:13 PM »

Thanks...but how do I KNOW I have an SERT ??   I'm assuming that I do because it's a SE model....but I follow the rule...NEVER assume anything!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »

Howie,

I think Jack's concern is that after spending over $25k on his bike, he still needs to spend another $2k on an SERT, new exhaust, new cams, probably new pistons, a throttle body, push rods, and at least 2 dyno tunes, to get the bike he thought he was buying in the first place.

Welcome to the Harley-Davidson experience.   :2vrolijk_21:

Later,
Ghost

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »

Thanks...but how do I KNOW I have an SERT ??   I'm assuming that I do because it's a SE model....but I follow the rule...NEVER assume anything!
Your bike did not come STOCK with the SERT. Again this is because of EPA. To get your bike running efficiently (better AFR, less heat) you will need to upgrade your fuel delivery system (SERT/PCII/Thundermax/etc.) upgrade your breather (SE AC/Doherty Power Pac/Arleen Ness Big Sucker/etc.), and upgrade your exhaust (to many options out there).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »

I misread. I thought that said you had the SERT already. If your bike is still stock, welcome to the club. Bottom line, this work needs to get done. It doesn't matter which system you use. Get a good tuner and have him install what he can tune best with. Yes you need to spend an additional $1500 or so to get it right! Bite the bullet, spend it and you won't think about it again. It doesn't matter if you spent $18K on a standard HD or $30K on a SE, you'd need to do this anyway. This is what needs to be done to get them right! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »

That was the answer I was looking for Firedood...thank you, and all of you for your input. :2vrolijk_21:   cool site, quick responces, answered by very cool people...thanks again ! 8)

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »

I'll bet a lot of us wish we would have found this site first!  I would have still bought the bike but I would have been better prepared for the "TRUE COST". ???

But all is well when its done! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:03 PM »

I'll bet a lot of us wish we would have found this site first!  I would have still bought the bike but I would have been better prepared for the "TRUE COST". ???

But all is well when its done! :2vrolijk_21:

Some of us did UPC, and I'm awful glad I did! I love the bantering back and forth, to figure how the best mods are done. And in the end, you make a decision on what to do. If you go by recommendations made here, and weigh your options, you can't make the wrong decisions! This is a tremendous resource! You can't but this chit anywhere! ;) Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.