Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tuning and warranty  (Read 2831 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Tuning and warranty
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »

I know the bike won't explode without a real tune, but it's messing with my head riding around on this EPA tune. I've heard mixed opinions on this, but if I were to buy a PowerVision system and save the stock map, then have the bike tuned, is it possible to flash the ECM back to the stock map with no footprint of the previous tune?

Part of getting a new bike was knowing where all of the miles came from and having that warranty. If it's not possible I will just wait to have the bike tuned after the warranty expires. Thank you!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Tuning and warranty
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »

The folks at Vance and Hines told me that even if you flash back there are still signs that it has been reflashed for example a date stamp that shows when flashed back.

I have never used one but on a brand new bike you might consider Thundermax.    They use a whole different PCM and you keep your stock one.    Then put it back in if there is a need for warranty work.   Assuming you are not broken down far from home...   That's another can of worms...

https://store.thunder-max.com/collections/efi-modules

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »

You may hear differently from others - my understanding of this is once the bike has been tuned by PowerVision, the bike will record that & your power train warranty will be voided.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

The folks at Vance and Hines told me that even if you flash back there are still signs that it has been reflashed for example a date stamp that shows when flashed back.

I have never used one but on a brand new bike you might consider Thundermax.    They use a whole different PCM and you keep your stock one.    Then put it back in if there is a need for warranty work.   Assuming you are not broken down far from home...   That's another can of worms...

https://store.thunder-max.com/collections/efi-modules

I appreciate the info. I will just wait to get a custom tune when the warranty is done. The bike still feels fine, and it says the Thundermax doesn't fit 2020 models with traction control anyways.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:08:32 AM »

I bought a used ecm from ebay that was off of a wrecked bike of the same year and color as mine. My dealer flashed it for me to work with my bike. I loaded a power vision tune on my factory one and swapped them out in the parking lot whenever I took the bike in. Never had an issue in 2 years. Pretty much the same thing as Thundermax does I guess.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 06:10:04 AM »

I bought a used ecm from ebay that was off of a wrecked bike of the same year and color as mine. My dealer flashed it for me to work with my bike. I loaded a power vision tune on my factory one and swapped them out in the parking lot whenever I took the bike in. Never had an issue in 2 years. Pretty much the same thing as Thundermax does I guess.
Old school good dealer there.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:38:42 AM »

For several years you could flash it back to stock with a power vision or a TTS and HD could not tell.  They then set it up so they could tell it had been flashed.  So the trick then was a TTS or Power Vision, and a Harley SE tuner.  They now have a record of it being flashed with the HD stage one Tune.  Tune with TTS ride, if it needs to go to dealer put HD Stage one tune back in.  But starting in 19 they can now catch that also.

Second ECM or Thundrmax is only way they can not tell.

My bike power train warranty will be void next time they hook up to the bike.  Not to worried as I put 20K on the bike before I messed with it.  The dealer knows the motor is built.  They are still covering non related items.  Waiting for service to open back up so they can install my new front rotors and these are warped, my new speedometer and such. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »

Dave,,,, didn't you do front rotors already?  I had mine replaced on my 19,,  what's the deal here? 😩

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »

Old school good dealer there.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Yep. They are a good bunch. Bought last 3 bikes from them. Not a single complaint from me. Always give me a 20% or better discount on parts and service and have extended it to friends if I ask them too. Harley should trying going back to the old way of doing business. That business plan made them money and kept customers loyal.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »

Dave,,,, didn't you do front rotors already?  I had mine replaced on my 19,,  what's the deal here? 😩

I’ve been down that road with warped rotor(s) on my 2017 cvo, have the shop check the wheel mounting points, some wheels are not true and a new rotor will be warped as soon as it’s installed and you will feel it quickly.
 :soapbox:

Sorry, getting on a tangent here! LOL
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:51:35 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 05:31:03 PM »

Yep. They are a good bunch. Bought last 3 bikes from them. Not a single complaint from me. Always give me a 20% or better discount on parts and service and have extended it to friends if I ask them too. Harley should trying going back to the old way of doing business. That business plan made them money and kept customers loyal.

The margins are so high they could stand to do this and be ok. Like Kohl's for example. List the price of a blanket at 150 bucks, put it "on sale" for 75 bucks over "friends and family weekend" to make people think they are getting a good deal and still make a killing on a 15 dollar blanket.

Harley can squeeze the life out of people who don't bother haggling, and then give the occasional 20%+ off to those who try to bargain a bit and get praises from the hilltops for it.

Sorry for going off topic in my own thread  ;D
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 06:34:28 AM »

Replaced at 6K miles, replaced again at 14K miles.  Warped again at 20K miles service.  That said rotors came in at start of covid-19 so not installed yet.  I'm over 25K miles now, and would soon be on anther set if these would have been replaced right away.

I can not figure it out.  09 CVO RG is the only other bike to have a rotor replaced and that was once in 47K miles.  my 7th 6 CVO's have never had a rotor issue.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »

I’ve been down that road with warped rotor(s) on my 2017 cvo, have the shop check the wheel mounting points, some wheels are not true and a new rotor will be warped as soon as it’s installed and you will feel it quickly.
 :soapbox:

Sorry, getting on a tangent here! LOL

Front rim was replaced at 19K miles with another factory rim.  Ill have them check mounting points when they install new rotors.  Thanks

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »

Mine were replaced at 6 k.   First time for me that I had to replace.    Cheap harley crap???  :'(

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »

on my 16 cvorgu i had the front brake pulse (warped rotor) i thought, they replaced front wheel bearings. it fixed it and still has same rotors from new and no issue since. somn to ask them about  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ,,,sorry  :jack:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.