Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thundermax  (Read 1673 times)

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
Thundermax
« on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »

Anyone using or know of one running a Thundermax tuner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: Thundermax
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »

I use a Thundermax on my 2015 SESG. Chris Waddell of Cycle Solutions in Fort Myers tuned my bike with Thundermax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »

Seems like a good system, been out for awhile.

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »

I have Thundermax on my 2015 with a S&S 124 ci. And I have TTS Mastertune on my 2016 with a built 117ci. I am happy with the performance of both. Not being a mechanic I sincerely can’t say one is better than the other. I have been told to use the tuner that your local guy uses and knows for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmorton101

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »

I have worked on Harleys for 50 years (unfortunately LOL).

I use & install the Thundermax wave tune system on lots of bikes & I swear by them.

I have a 124" high compression S&S motor with nitrous oxide that is over 150hp & with the t-max it goes like stink but it actually runs smoother in traffic than any stock bike I have ridden (& that's with a solid engine sprocket).

I love the system.

~John
124" H.C W640 EZ start cams/Nitrous/Pingel air shift/Grudgebox/Vulcan chain conversion/Vulcan 32T compensator eliminator with manual adjuster/Bandit Sportsman clutch/Lithium Ion battery/S&S injection W/Thundermax etc.etc.etc.

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »

My uncle really likes the TM on his but his (S&S 110 SG) but runs hot and sucks gas. Same for his buddy and mechanic (S&S 103 FatBoy CVO) both with thunderheader 2-1.

I decided to go the TTS tuner route with Fullsac header on my 110 CVO and pretty happy with it
-Joe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 05:25:04 PM »

If you don't have a good tuner locally (or close enough you don't mind riding that far for a tune) that tunes using T-Max, do not bother buying one.  Using one of their canned maps is a crap shoot you probably don't want to get involved in.  There is no advantage to replacing your modern Delphi ECM with an aftermarket ECM, so I wonder why you are interested in doing so? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »

My understanding of the system is you use a map close to what your bike has for a setup and the wide band O2 sensors continually adjust to your bike and riding conditions.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »

My understanding of the system is you use a map close to what your bike has for a setup and the wide band O2 sensors continually adjust to your bike and riding conditions.

The O2 sensor feedback system only adjusts fuel, not timing or other parameters.  Thus the need for a really close base map to start with.  A canned map is rarely all that close in my experience and in my humble opinion.  A good custom tune is the best approach, then let the "auto-tune" feature maintain the fuel portion of that tune over time is a proper use of "auto-tune". 

The entire "Auto-Tune" feature from all the various systems offering it is misleading at best.  Btw, stock ECM's have had basic "auto-tuning" capabilities since 2007, when Harley first started using O2 sensors.  It's not as sophisticated as a good wideband system, but it's good enough for normal riding (and the EPA, which requires it).  In case you hadn't noticed, I have a thing about misleading advertising and claims on this subject as well as many others. ;)

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ta2dResqr

• OH

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 12:36:35 AM »

I have a Thundermax Conversion on my 1999 Road King. I bought it with a Stage 4 motor and a Power Commander III. It never ran right. Hard to start cold, wouldn't idle until it warmed up, popping on decel, etc. I installed the Thundermax conversion and took it from a Magnetti Marelli system to a Delphi system. It runs like a dream now. I absolutely love the auto tune feature. It also adjusts timing based on engine temperature,barometer, intake air temperature, and has a seperate scale for boosted applications if need be. It will also allow you to manually tune based on engine temperature, speed, and a seperate map for the rear cylinder. I have been running it for 5 years and can't say enough good things about it.
2018 FLHXSE Dark Alloy/Black Denim
Oil Cooler Fan
Redline Fluids
ThunderMax
Fuel Moto Ceramic Jackpot XXX Headpipe
FullSac 2.0" cores with TechMat
Fuel Moto Modified K&N Intake
Feuling Vented Dipstick

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »

I have a Thundermax Conversion on my 1999 Road King. I bought it with a Stage 4 motor and a Power Commander III. It never ran right. Hard to start cold, wouldn't idle until it warmed up, popping on decel, etc. I installed the Thundermax conversion and took it from a Magnetti Marelli system to a Delphi system. It runs like a dream now. I absolutely love the auto tune feature. It also adjusts timing based on engine temperature,barometer, intake air temperature, and has a seperate scale for boosted applications if need be. It will also allow you to manually tune based on engine temperature, speed, and a seperate map for the rear cylinder. I have been running it for 5 years and can't say enough good things about it.

I've installed three of those Marelli to T-Max kits.  They're by no means a true Delphi conversion.  Even farther from stock in many areas (fuel lines, the ECM and some other bits) so if you need service on the road somewhere a dealer is even less likely to be able to help than with a Marelli bike.  On my own old bike just collected all the pieces from a later model Delphi bike and actually converted it to Delphi. It's no different than a stock Delphi bike now with all the parts availability that comes with it.  With a little patience and eBay shopping it was quite a bit cheaper too.

The TMax kits are ok.  They don't adjust timing on the fly though.  The only timing is the curve defined in the map.  They don't even monitor the ION sensor built in to the bikes to retard timing in case of detonation.  Don't misunderstand, there's a lot that the kit will do that a Marelli bike never dreamed of.  But it's still a relatively limited system.

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 21 queries.