Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil in air cleaner  (Read 875 times)

Texcuda

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Oil in air cleaner
« on: June 12, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »

I have a 2017 CVO Ultra Limited with 17K miles on it. I purchased it approximately a month ago, and have put around a thousand miles on it since buying it. I have noticed that I have oil buildup inside the air cleaner. To the point that when I took the air cleaner apart, the inside of the filter, and filter mounting plate was saturated in oil. I wiped everything down and put it back together for now. I am riding it and plan to take it apart again tomorrow to check for additional build up.

Does anyone know if oil in the air cleaner is a sign on sumping on the M8? I have no data or records from the previous owner, so I have no way of knowing if the oil pump/cam plate has been replaced, or if this is even the original motor. I have started monitoring the oil level, but can't seem to find a clear answer on the oil in the air cleaner. If it is just a vent issue, that is easy to solve, but if this is an early sign of sumping, I would rather fix it now rather than the alternative. I did not purchase an ESP, so if it melts down, I have to fix it on my dime. TIA.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Oil in air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »

I get a little and clean it every oil change.
Bill

oranjvoodoo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Oil in air cleaner
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

No experience with an M8. Every type of stock, production engine I've worked on puts some amount if oil in the intake. We all know the twin cam dripped oil on the front of the motor in normal operation, no sumping. Was it only the backing plate covered in oil?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.