Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with exhaust swap.  (Read 1351 times)

Proraver

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2005 Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide
Help with exhaust swap.
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »

I have 2005 SEEG and I installed the fullsac true duals and 06 CVO mufflers with fullsac 2" baffles. Now my rear cylinder sounds terrible and has a weak exhaust pulse. It had factory exhaust with a hollowed out muffler on the right. Do I need to retune it or did I just uncover a bad cylinder. it sounds like it's "inhaling"

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Help with exhaust swap.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:50 AM »

I have 2005 SEEG and I installed the fullsac true duals and 06 CVO mufflers with fullsac 2" baffles. Now my rear cylinder sounds terrible and has a weak exhaust pulse. It had factory exhaust with a hollowed out muffler on the right. Do I need to retune it or did I just uncover a bad cylinder. it sounds like it's "inhaling"
Need to remap your ecm.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »

Since you just installed a new exhaust pipe, might have a leak at the rear cylinder's exhaust port.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »

#1 - recheck all exhaust connections for leaks
#2 - perform a compression and leak-down check on both cylinders.

The bike with the stock head pipes normally has less flow from the left muffler than the right, since the two sides are interconnected and the right side is a straight shot.  When you change to True Duals with no crossover, both sides should flow the same.  Odds are pretty good, with your description of less flow and terrible noise, you have an exhaust leak, possibly at the heads which can be tricky to line up.  Did you install new head pipe gaskets?  If so, what kind?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Proraver

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

I did install new gaskets. The first time I used the HD stock bevel. Last night I tried the flat screamin eagle gasket. I am going to do a comp test tonight. I talked to Fullsac and he suggested swapping the mufflers to see if maybe the baffle isn't installed correctly.

Proraver

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »

Just realized there is a restriction in the left downpipe. I assume I should grind it out correct?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:04:14 AM »

Just realized there is a restriction in the left downpipe. I assume I should grind it out correct?

Check with Steve at Fullsac before modifying his pipes.  If the restrictor shouldn't be there, I'm sure he will replace the pipe.  If the restrictor is there for a valid reason, he can explain that as well.

Jerry

Edit:  Just looked up the True Dual kit for the 2006 and earlier bikes and realized the left side reuses part of the left left pipe and it's not a complete pipe replacement.  The restrictor you show is actually in the stock part, correct?  I'd still ask Steve for his advice before grinding that restrictor out of the pipe.  I didn't see anything in his instructions about it, but IMHO it's still better to ask first before hauling out the grinder.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:14:02 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Proraver

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »

I looked at a bunch of used pipes and none of them seemed to have the restrictor so I cut it out last night and SUCCESS   :bananarock: :bananarock:  It runs like a scalded dog now. I finally found the SERT software from an awesome user on here and now I just need to get it fine tuned once my buddy gets his dyno installed and running.   I love this message board thanks everybody.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »

installing a restrictor was a tried and true way to improve tuning on the older stock head pipes for zero bucks.. usually right before the left muffler.  for later bikes and bikes with the left pipe going under the trans and for true duals its a really bad idea.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.