Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with exhaust removal  (Read 1099 times)

07street

• Full CVO Member
    • http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/04mastiff/
help with exhaust removal
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

i been out in the garage for hours trying to remove the rineharts from the head pipes ...right side was a piece of cake muffler off in less than ten minutes
however the left side is a different story ..removed the 2 bolts on the hanger and loosened the muffler clamp and slide it up the head pipe and completely off the muffler but the damn muffler wont come off the head pipe i was able to move it about an 8th of a inch and thats about it ..... need your help with this i dont know what else to do

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: help with exhaust removal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

Soak the muffler to pipe connection in a good penetrating lubricant for a few hours. Use a strap wrench torotate the muffler and it will break free from the head pie.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »

Soak the muffler to pipe connection in a good penetrating lubricant for a few hours. Use a strap wrench torotate the muffler and it will break free from the head pie.

Wiggle it left & right... up & down usually helps break it free.  Take the slip-on muffler off while everything else (header and brackets) are still attached then once it is off go after the rest.

I find swearing loud and often usually helps.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »

Yep, that's what I would do too!
Steve

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »

Wiggle it left & right... up & down usually helps break it free.  Take the slip-on muffler off while everything else (header and brackets) are still attached then once it is off go after the rest.

:2vrolijk_21:  That's been my experience as well. ;D

After nearly destroying a set of pipes many moons ago trying to get the damned things apart, I've been putting a film of high temp antiseize compound on the joints when I put everything together.  Last time I removed my mufflers, I didn't even have to resort to the swearing loud and often routine.  Just a little wiggle and twist broke them loose.  Might be worth a try when it's time to put it all back together. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

07street

• Full CVO Member
    • http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/04mastiff/
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »

penetrating lubricant and a strap wrench was the trick i was not go to give up until the muffler was removed around midnight i was finished!!!!
woo hoo!!!!!!!!

thanks for the replies and the knowledge

this is why I love the site

thanks to all again

07street

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »

If moving it up & down, and side to side after spraying penetrating oil doesn't do it, try a strap wrench.  Sometimes twisting helps.  Be careful not to try so hard as to damage the rest of the pipe.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 02:02:12 AM »

Yep... the right word works everytime.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.