Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knock, Knock, Knock after installing exhaust and tuner  (Read 1352 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Knock, Knock, Knock after installing exhaust and tuner
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »

I recently installed V&H dresser duals and V&H High Output slipons on my 2011 SE Street Glide. Before I installed tuner I started it in the garage to hear it. NOTE! Did not let it idle for more than a minute. Seemed to be fine, no odds noises etc.

Just installed PowerCommander V, purchased from FuelMoto with map. Now I seem to have a KNOCK in the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Knock, Knock, Knock after installing exhaust and tuner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

I recently installed V&H dresser duals and V&H High Output slipons on my 2011 SE Street Glide. Before I installed tuner I started it in the garage to hear it. NOTE! Did not let it idle for more than a minute. Seemed to be fine, no odds noises etc.

Just installed PowerCommander V, purchased from FuelMoto with map. Now I seem to have a KNOCK in the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

An exhaust leak at the head can sound like a knock.... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »

An exhaust leak at the head can sound like a knock.... 
I'll definitely check that out but I didn't "feel" any leaks at the head. Could that create an exessive heat issue on the head pipe at that area?
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »

just as a sanity check, look to see if the exhaust is banging on a hard part somewhere.

RLK

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »

just as a sanity check, look to see if the exhaust is banging on a hard part somewhere.

RLK
The first thing I thought was that the pipe was hitting to floor board bracket. I did a reasonable check for that already so I'm heating up the garage now to double check EVERYTHING. It's 35 out here is St. Louis right now with clear blue skies.

If all goes well I've got to get this thing out for a riding tomorrow, even though it's still going to be in the 30's. It was such a sluggish pig with the stock cat exhaust and stock mufflers before I can only imagine how much better it's going to run. Can't wait!

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

RLK

Thanks for the good advice. I couldn't wait for the garage to warm up so I just went out and started it up. Sure enough the front header pipe is barley hitting the floor board bracket. I checked before but this time I really pulled door on the floor board. I guess the supplied spacers from V & H were about 1/32" too narrow OR the chrome covers were a little to wide.

Anyway, it's fixed thanks to the folks at CVOHARLEY.COM.!! :bananarock:

ps: Going to take it for a spin right now!

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »

I had the same issue with the V&H duals on my 2011 Limited.  Note: I used the 2009 version vs the 2010/11 because of the changes to the O2 sensor bung size and location.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The problem was a pretty simple fixed. The cutout area of the heat shield at the floor board was barely touching the floor board bracket when the motor was running and vibrating. All I did was loosen the shield and slide it more forward. Got about 1/8" extra clearance. Problem solved! :2vrolijk_21:

Took the 2011 Hazer for a quick ride around the area. WOW! What a difference in performance! Just based on the short ride in 35 degree weather the throttle response was very good. No popping, no hesitation and a huge improvement in performance. We'll see how it runs after the weather turns but for now, FuelMoto's MAP worked perfect.

Please send some warm weather my way.

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »

Awesome news.  Love it when a plan comes together.  I just did Rinehart TDs, ventilator AC, & TTS tune on mine.  Pleased as punch with the outcome.

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 21 queries.