Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Removing Baffles from Stock Exhaust ?  (Read 5670 times)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Removing Baffles from Stock Exhaust ?
« on: July 09, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »

Guys give me your opinion in regards to removing the baffles from the stock mufflers on an 03 RKSE ... this bike has the SE racing tuner kit but the bike just sounds to mild ... if I remove the baffles will it screw up the tuning on the bike and what is your experience as to how it will run and sound?

Thank you
Dude
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:46:46 AM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Removing Baffles from Stock Exhaust ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 06:14:09 PM »

Seems really odd to me that someone would install the SERT and keep the stock exhaust system. I wonder if the original owner switched mufflers or switched to aftermarket exhaust system then took them off when he sold/traded bike in? You may want to inquire if this is the case, then you could (if you wanted to) go w/exhaust that was on the bike that the SERT is already tuned too. Just a thought. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »

Fire your right this bike had a two into one header when I first inguired on it but I do not like the look so I asked if they would remove them and install the original mufflers which they agreed to ... so the bike is set up for different mufflers ... so whats your thoughts on that>

Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »

Some of the more mechanically inclined can probably give you better information on this then I can. My first thought would be to limit riding on this until I found out for sure I would not be damaging the motor with current setup (I know going w/new pipes and not adjusting fuel delivery makes for a lean running bike, not sure of the effects in reverse). Next I would be looking at some pipes (H-D or aftermarket) that you like, and then have the bike dyno'd to them. Since bike already has SERT (and hopefully when you purchased the bike you got the interface that goes along w/SERT) you have the option (at a savings since SERT is already installed) of dialing this bike in really nice with the pipes you choose to purchase. This way you keep your pipes/mufflers stock and there has been occasion when someone has wanted to purchase stock setup on here so you could sell them if you so desired.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 08:13:27 PM »

Fire I was assured by the owner of the shop where I bought the bike that installing the factory exhaust would not detune the bike ... it seems to run fine and I have put about 500 miles on it since last week ... tell me how I would know if I have the interface ... I do have the box that the race tuner came in ...

Thanks
Dude
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:14:20 PM by BamaHarleyDude »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »

Fire I was assured by the owner of the shop where I bought the bike that installing the factory exhaust would not detune the bike ... it seems to run fine and I have put about 500 miles on it since last week ... tell me how I would know if I have the interface ... I do have the box that the race tuner came in ...

Thanks
Dude
I'll do better then that. Below is a picture of the interface. On the back of mines it has P/N 32114-01A then in smaller number below and right of that are R-264

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »

Fire YOU DA MAN ..thanks I do have that insdie the box they sent with the bike .... now what is this for?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »

W/O this interface the SERT is of no good. Once it has been installed and "married" to the ECM the only way you can make changes is to have this interface. The MoCo was smart (greedy) as they made it so that when you install and marry the interface to the ECM it can only be used for this "married" pair. Trying to use buddies interface on your SERT/ECM will not work.

Hopefully you will have this part, and if you do just remember it's the most important piece of the system. W/O it you have to buy the entire program over, and from what I've been hearing it is going to become obsolete so you may not be able to get it. :(

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 08:42:34 PM »

Fire YOU DA MAN ..thanks I do have that insdie the box they sent with the bike .... now what is this for?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Dude
This is what the tuner will connect to your bike and to his computer (via some cables) to make changes to your ECM. Just think of this "interface" as a $400 dollar part and treat it accordingly.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 08:48:02 PM »

Guys give me your opinion in regards to removing the baffles from the stock mufflers on an 03 RKSE ... this bike has the SE racing tuner kit but the bike just sounds to mild ... if I remove the baffles will it screw up the tuning on the bike and what is your experience as to how it will run and sound?

Thank you
Dude
Bama,

Just my opinion, but I think you would be better off finding a set of aftermarket mufflers that you like rather than gutting the stock mufflers. Gutted mufflers will definitely be louder, but the tuning and performance will be severely degraded, especially the low end torque, and the bike will be difficult to tune properly even by an expert.  

BTW - the attachment shows the total content of the SE Race Tuner Kit.  You should have one CD, one interface, and two cables.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 08:53:11 PM »

Jerry thank you my friend I appreciate your input .... I have always road Carb. bikes and these FI not to mention CVO's are a new beast to me so I do appreciate the info ... any suggestions as to what exhaust would work well with my rig ... I know its a matter of preference but I would like some experienced opinions .. I have been looking at Hard Krome Duels ... but would be open to suggestions ..

Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 11:04:48 PM »

Since you removed the 2into1 that was initially on the bike I think it would be safe to say that is not the look/style you are after. If you are looking to do entire system in a true dual fashion in addition to the system you've already mentioned you may want to look at Rineharts (that's what I'm running and I'm very happy w/them), Freedom Cycles has as a true dual set-up that in looks is similar to Rineharts, also Vance & Hines makes a nice true dual set-up.

Purchasing an exhaust system has a lot of personal variables involved. What are your major objectives/concerns that you are looking for?

1. Performance
2. Looks
3. Sound
4. Style (True Duals, Slip Ons, or 2into1)

Once you figure out how you want to prioritize those things then you can narrow the field down on which exhausts you want to look at. After that I've found it's best if at all possible to see this system on a bike similar to what I own, and possible hear it. Hopes this helps.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »

BHD,
FWIW, I had Hard Krome double d's on my wide glide.  Hard krome was TERRIBLE to deal with on warranty.  Unfortunately for me, hard krome started selling pipes without having done proper R&D.  So, the pipes looked great and sounded great, but had mounting stress related issues.  After 100 miles or so, they'd break the rear mounts.  After 3 sets, they quit trying and I got stuck. >:(  caveat emptor
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »

BHD,
FWIW, I had Hard Krome double d's on my wide glide.  Hard krome was TERRIBLE to deal with on warranty.  Unfortunately for me, hard krome started selling pipes without having done proper R&D.  So, the pipes looked great and sounded great, but had mounting stress related issues.  After 100 miles or so, they'd break the rear mounts.  After 3 sets, they quit trying and I got stuck. >:(  caveat emptor

Arctic I am sorry to hear about your problems with Hard Chrome ... but thank you for enlighting me ...thats one reason forums like this is GREAT ... so now I am back to square one ...what to put on my 03 RK ....

Bama

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »

Bama,
        Lots and lots of choices. I will say this and see if it gets shot down.

I have not heard of anyone installing Reinharts and not being happy with them.

Big B

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »

There was someone on this site that installed Rienharts and was not happy with them due to being 'too loud'.  That and the rear pipe mounting tab breaking off (which has alledgely  been fixed w/ the new model).....I think everyone else that I've ever heard from that installed them were extremely satisfied.....I know I've been.  A tad expensive, but isn't everything ????  Looks good, performs good, and sounds great!  :D har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 04:29:21 PM »

Well if anyone knows of a set for sell that are nice and clean I could be a prospect ...

Dude

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »

On my RK I had Rineharts  no problem I loved them, Performance wise I don't think you will find a better exhaust.......When I got my cuse I knew right off the bat what I wanted to put on it Rineharts which I did and boy that 103 engine is a whole lot louder than an 88.... or maybe I'm getting older but I could not hear the radio at all... (I even tried the Quite Baffle) But what a kick in the A$$ it made,  But just too L-O-U-D for me so I op for the Dresser Duels and the SE 65115-98B with the SERT.  They are not too quit and not too loud just right for me but there is most definitely a HP difference, No Question about it.
Bubba
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »

On my RK I had Rineharts  no problem I loved them, Performance wise I don't think you will find a better exhaust.......When I got my cuse I knew right off the bat what I wanted to put on it Rineharts which I did and boy that 103 engine is a whole lot louder than an 88.... or [highlight]maybe I'm getting older but I could not hear the radio at all...[/highlight] (I even tried the Quite Baffle) But what a kick in the A$$ it made,  But just too L-O-U-D for me so I op for the Dresser Duels and the SE 65115-98B with the SERT.  They are not too quit and not too loud just right for me but there is most definitely a HP difference, No Question about it.
Bubba
Dang....Bubba.  You don't know what getting old is...........I'm having trouble hearing my tunes while wearing this full-faced helmet.  It's nice and 'toasty' in the winter time, but hard to hear while on (with or without the Reinharts).  :o har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »

Thank you
Dude
Dude,
I removed the baffles on a 05 1200 sportser with a 1 7/8" hole saw. You can bearly tell that they were ever in there. They look and sound like the Screamin Eagle slipons for that bike. I am sure a expensive pair of slipons might get a few more horses but my wife isn't using the power available.
In the sportster case it leaned it a little, but in your case it would probably work better with the tune than stock.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.