Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '10 SESG Fullsac X Pipe/No Tuner?  (Read 2830 times)

Laney

'10 SESG Fullsac X Pipe/No Tuner?
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »

Was at a different HD dealership today and they had three new SG on the floor (all 103 motors) with the Fullsac X Pipe and different slipons so we could listen to them. I really liked the 4" Rinehart's.

They told me on my SESG 110 motor I can put the X pipe along with the Rinehart's and no tuner. They will remap and will provide me close to 95 hp and 110 ft lbs torque. Those of you that are in the "know", can this be accurate? I like the idea of saving $500 for no tuner.

Thanks,
Laney

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: '10 SESG Fullsac X Pipe/No Tuner?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:43 AM »

I'm not "in the know" about that, but I have a very hard time believing H-D has developed a street-legal "download" for the x-pipe.  If whatever they're loading into the ECM is from H-D, it might "work" but it sure won't be "right".

A couple "tuner" manufacturers have a setup where you can buy a license to have a custom calibration installed to your ECM without you having to buy the expense of the whole tuning kit.  Maybe that's what they're doing and installing a calibration they've developed (or might develop for your bike).  It would "technically" not require you to buy a "tuner".  Would you ask them about this stuff I've mentioned?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »

If they are downloading anything to your ECM, you are paying for it whether you know it or not.  The street legal Harley downloads are usually sold for around $150, and I emphasize "street legal".  In other words, no change to low speed operating parameters where they still have to meet EPA requirements.  They also would not match your new pipes at all, since Harley has no street legal downloads for a catless headpipe.  As for the idea glens offered, where you pay to have them download an aftermarket solution that isn't street legal, you will pay for those as well.  One company I'm thinking of uses a USB thumb drive key instead of the VCI used by TTS and Harley to allow communication with the ECM, but the software is controlled by the shop.  You buy the USB key and pay a fee for the download or tune.  Some places don't even give you the USB key, but keep it themselves to force you to go back to them for any future work.  I would avoid such places like the plague.

In other words, there is no free lunch (big surprise, right?), you will pay one way or the other.  Before I would just accept what they are offering, I'd want to know all the facts and I'd also want an honest breakout of the cost.  No package pricing, but instead X for the pipe, Y for the "tune", Z for the labor, etc.  That's the only way to know what you're really getting.

btw, highly unlikely that a simple pipe change and download would net an extra 15 hp and ft-lb; probably closer to 8 to 10.  Contact Steve at Fullsac (he's a member on this site btw) and see what his experience has been.  You could also see what he would charge you for the TTS, his map, and his pipes as a package deal and compare with what that dealer is offering.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Laney

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »

Glens & Jerry, thank you for your responses. That is why I posted for info like this. Knowledge is power, right!

Here is the quote they gave me: X Pipe, $479, 4" Rinehart Slip On $600, Map $145, Shop Labor $225, Shop Supplies $25 for a total of $1474 before taxes.

I will find out more from the as far was what the map entails.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »

Fullsac Xpipe, Fullsac cores, TTS and cables:  $1100 plus or minus a tad.  Plus, you get a map that actually works well, improves drivability, and increases power.  Labor would be extra, but it's really easy to do it yourself and save a few bucks, if you are inclined to do so,  have a laptop, and some shop tools.

I would seriously want to know what kind of "download" you're getting for the $145.  I seriously doubt the HD dealer would do a TTS tuner though...they'd want to sell you the SE Pro race tuner.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »

I would seriously want to know what kind of "download" you're getting for the $145.  I seriously doubt the HD dealer would do a TTS tuner though...they'd want to sell you the SE Pro race tuner.

It could be possible they're using a Direct Link or a Power Vision and selling a license key to upload a "canned map" they've developed for the application.  I'd like to know, too...

mark

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »

Here is the quote they gave me: X Pipe, $479, 4" Rinehart Slip On $600, Map $145, Shop Labor $225, Shop Supplies $25 for a total of $1474 before taxes.

Call Fullsac and get everything for about $1100.  I can attest to the fact the bike will run cooler, sound better...and fly faster.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

Call Fullsac and get everything for about $1100.  I can attest to the fact the bike will run cooler, sound better...and fly faster.

X2..and you will own the TTS Mastertune in case you ever want to do any more changes. Doing it the HD way you still have no way of tuning for any changes in the future.

Laney

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »

Just heard from the tech that quoted to the sales rep that gave me the info. A little bit of a different tune (no pun intended)

Says Harley does not have maps for CVO bikes. Must have a race tuner or other after market tuning device. Also confirmed after installation, hp and torque gain would be only around 5hp and approx. 5 ft lbs torque.

So, thanks to everyone that provided feedback for me to check and confirm what I was told.

Laney

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »

I have this set-up on my 2012 SG.  Runs great, sounds sweet and really looks awesome  :2vrolijk_08:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »

X2 :2vrolijk_21:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »

HOGMIKE

AZ Sparky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 in Kryptonite/Black
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »

Sparky

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »

Just put the the fullsac stage 1 kit in over the weekend with 2" cores did it my self, little help from Steve @ fullsac with the download and this bike runs and sounds GREAT also the pipes look OEM.
DND

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »

Just put the the fullsac stage 1 kit in over the weekend with 2" cores did it my self, little help from Steve @ fullsac with the download and this bike runs and sounds GREAT also the pipes look OEM.

Ahhhhh...........the "stealth" look!!
Your buddies will be in awe when you out pull them on the road!
 8)
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.