Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Researching Next Mod, Intake System!!!!!  (Read 1641 times)

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
Researching Next Mod, Intake System!!!!!
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »

OK gearheads, on my BO I'm researching my next mod, Intake system. What I'm looking for is an intake system upgrade, that I do not need headwork to match "stock". I looking for suggestions and good configuration you guy's have ran across.  What I'm looking for is listed below.

1. Brand if intake, throttle body and injectors.
   2. Size recommended for stock and future builds.
   3. Reliability
   4. Gains expected, ie. 2-4 HP, temperature, better response.

There is a lot of product out on the market, I truly would like the input.     
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Researching Next Mod, Intake System!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

Kind of putting the cart in front of the horse with out head work.  Choke point is a choke point.  A better flowing TB isn't going to get rid of that choke point in your heads.  Get that fixed and then you could see gains with a TB.

old_dirt

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:28 AM »

Any intake will help with doing a Stage1... exhaust, intake, tune.  I tend to go cheap and buy whatever SE has that fits.

Same with a STage2.. exhaust, intake, MILD cams, and tune.  Basically, it is the exhaust that is the choke point for these types of mods.

Want more power?  The heads will need looked after.  110 heads are really a good base set of heads for a head porter to start out with.

So, it depends upon what you will eventually be trying to accomplish.  Stage1?  Stage2?  Stage3up?

Maybe, you need a bit of education?  Maybe not.  Doing a simple Stage1 or 2?  No real need to up the injectors, etc.  Hit the heads with some porting, add some compression; big cams?  You will be looking for a different Throttle Body, and an intake that fits.

Ummmm.... components of a 'build' really needs to be matched up to gain the best advantages.  For example, putting a 55mm Throttle Body on the bike with 6.3 injectors, in and by itself will most likely be terrible to tune and you will not see much, if any improvement.  If you add decent cams, and head work, then instead of having too much intake, you would be using and needing that new intake.

An engine is a 'system'.  Use a set of components that others have figured out.  For best results, don't experiment... don't listen to different folks if they have different build philosophies, etc.

120sq out of your bike is well within reach...  the thing you need to think about, first, is HOW DO YOU RIDE THE BIKE?  You MUST be truthful to yourself.  Most, in their heads, for example, will pick too large a set of cams for their riding style, and when the rubber hits the road they become disillusioned.

So, how do you ride?  What would you like to see improved?  90% of folks actually simply wish for a nice Stage2 that gives more grunt down low and tops out about the same.  They just do not realize it.  Another...say 5%, want in town ripper bikes, they do not 'tour' ever and simply drive around town or close buy.  A couple guys, like myself and even Hrdtail78 like touring bikes with some REAL power.... the group that buys 120Rs and S&S 124s.

In ANY improvement you wish to do, if you ever think you will be doing cams?  You must think about and buy a tuning device, learn to DIY a tune using a TTS, etc, or... go find a competent tuning shop.  You would be surprised how much more you would like your bike with a Simple Stage1 and an excellent tune to finish it off.

Some things to think about.......

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »

OK gearheads, on my BO I'm researching my next mod, Intake system. What I'm looking for is an intake system upgrade, that I do not need headwork to match "stock". I looking for suggestions and good configuration you guy's have ran across.  What I'm looking for is listed below.

1. Brand if intake, throttle body and injectors.
   2. Size recommended for stock and future builds.
   3. Reliability
   4. Gains expected, ie. 2-4 HP, temperature, better response.

There is a lot of product out on the market, I truly would like the input.     

When you say "intake", are you just referring to the air cleaner or the entire intake system which includes the air cleaner, throttle body/manifold, port, and valve?

If the rest of the engine is basically stock, the stock throttle body, injectors, and air cleaner are fine as is and you won't get a good return on your investment if you throw a bunch of cash at those components.  As others have already stated, this needs to be looked at as a system once you go past Stage I.  And a CVO is already Stage I from the factory compared to standard models.  When you start looking for major increases in power, then you will need to match all the components so they work together, and not just shop the catalogs for individual pieces that promise all sorts of super duper benefits. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »

Good points, but I think the OP already has added 10.5 pistons, 259 Cam and V&H 2-2 looking at his signature and is asking if there is a bigger bore throttle body and intake system that will enhance his build how it is now and as it progresses. I don't have a clue but am interested in the answer.
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »

That is how I tried to answer him.  What does Stock 110 heads flow at .580 lift compared to what a stock TB flow?

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »

Gent's,

All that I was trying to do is, see what configurations you guy's might have ran across that works good. What size of throttle body can I get away with at stock without choking out or hard tuning. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that head work will needed to the best performance.

What I'm trying to achieve is a good part base for my next build. What can I throw at my stock motor that I can benefit from and eventually move over a good build.

So here how it works, I build a awesome stocker, build my parts base and the Ol Lady don't kick my azz when I tell her that I'm going to throw down 6 G's on my next build. I will already a good starting point.

She already pissed when I told her the only girls thats rides on the back of my breakout is one that their butt fits the back seat not eat it!!!!! :P       
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

Depends where you want to wind up eventually, but.  I have had great luck with the HPI 55/58 throttle bodies.  The throttle progressivity table will help it get tuned.

Page created in 1.33 seconds with 21 queries.