Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil seepage rear left side, rear cylinder  (Read 1263 times)

P_uffe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

Oil seepage rear left side, rear cylinder
« on: February 18, 2022, 10:31:48 AM »

Hey
Just returned from a 600 km ride and noticed a few drops of oil on the trans case, below the rear cylinder on my 05 FLHTCSE2. On further examination there is a seepage between the top fins just below what I believe is the head gasket.
The bike has about 90k kilometers and around 50k since rebuild with cams, head work and higher compression pistons and a fresh 6 speed tranny.
It's been dynoed using the SERT but probably years ago.
I also noticed when accelerating, especially uphill, a pinging sound from the engine (running too lean?). Oil pressure, according to the gage, normal and good.
Questions;
1. Blown head gasket? Or something more serious?
2.Does it need immediate attention? Will I ruin more stuff not dealing with it before my next ride?
3. Approximately what are the costs involved getting this done at a shop? (I know, tough to answer)
4. Is the work relatively easy to perform by myself, I know I need a torque wrench, what else except for regular toolbox stuff?
5. Can I plug in the SERT and perform any kind of positive tweaking myself, being a total novice at this? Dynos are very scarse in these parts of Spain and I'd probably have a half day ride to the nearest. Perhaps not advisable when running like it does? A Trailer is a real drag to come by here as well.
6. Would it perhaps be the time to upgrade if it's only a gasket? Larger displacement, pistons, rings? I love the performance I get out of this new to me bike already. Couldn't be happier, and really not looking for more power, as it's by far the most powerful Harley I've ever owned. (I guess I answered this one myself, unless I'd get another 100k kms out of new jugs and such of course) Or (!) unless the upgrade would mean a substantial amount of reliability, for being better quality parts than the original 17 yo stuff?

I love the bike and I'm not looking to trade for anything else. So planning to keep it for years.

Any input would be highly appreciated.
🤘😎

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Oil seepage rear left side, rear cylinder
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 11:12:01 AM »

I had a similar issue with my '03 Road King.  It was oil leaking from the oil passage between the head and the cylinder.  Simple fix IF you have the knowledge, tools and manual.  That being said, the rear cylinder is much trickier to work with (frame clearance).

2.  I would do a compression and leakdown test to ensure the head gasket is not leaking (blown).  If it turns out to just be an oil leak, you will need to decide how long to live with it.  I waited
     about a year to fix mine.
3.  A GUESS would be $500.00 to $1,000.00 depending upon labor rates, parts needed, etc.
4.  If you are not comfortable/familiar with working on Harley motors I would take it to a shop.
5.  As you state you are a novice, I wouldn't mess with the tuner (SERT).  Best to find someone who is familiar with the SERT and have them dyno tune it properly.
6.  My opinion is to leave it alone (performance upgrades).  You say you are happy with the way it runs so fix what is wrong and enjoy it.

I also have an '05 SEEG (Cherry) and have had the motor down to nuts and bolts.  All I have done to mine is cams (gear drive) and the SERT.  I would highly recommend changing the lifters (if they weren't already changed).  I had one of them blow at 50K miles.  Took out a cam, oil pump, cam plate and had to replace all bearings and seals.  NOT fun.  Replaced the lifters with AMS Johnson Hi-Lift lifters.  If you still have the chain drive cams, now is also a good time to check the tensioner shoes.

Great bikes and like you, I am very happy with the way it runs.  Good luck with your project.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

P_uffe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »

Wow! Thanks for your input.
Not familiar with how the SERT works, but one question though;
Can a dealership tune my bike using the SERT and no dyno? Do they set some curve and then run it for a test drive and then back and tweak some more? Or how does it work? Do they set like a standard curve and be fine with this? I've only had carbed bikes before so a bit in the dark here...

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »

The way I would go about it is: Clean the suspect area, and surrounding areas. Get a can of SPRAY POWDER. Spray the area in question. Go for a ride, and the leak should show up. As soon as you see it, stop and check. Easy to locate with the tainted powder. ;)
John

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »

Best way to tune is with a Dyno.  Just my opinion but I would have someone who knows what they are doing (probably not a dealer) do the tune It will be well worth the money spent.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »

Wouldn't be to quick to blame the head gasket . If you haven't already pulled the head do a good check on the rocker box also the push rod tube upper "0" rings.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »

Also check the rear exhaust port for wetness. You may find a loose exhaust guide.
John

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.