Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113

Author Topic: Harley 117 Kit  (Read 467326 times)

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
Re: Harley 117 Kit
« Reply #1545 on: June 26, 2019, 11:00:30 PM »

Personally I think too much emphasisis is put on the WOT run snapshot of the tune, but I get it.  I even suggested that we forgo the WOT runs but then we’d have nothing to compare. This tune is the first one in a long time I’ve had done by a pro and I’m impressed how she handles at all speeds and throttle positions. The 20 ftlbs of torque they gained at low rpm impresses me.

When I was doing preliminary planning of my build I consulted several pros on it, I was told by more than one to go another direction in cam choice. I like the way she handles and hope I get the reliability that I’m looking for.

Just Ride

I highly recommend J&B Performance in Mohawk TN for your tuning needs. They are a complete shop but I haven't experienced anything but their tuning skills to this point but wouldn't hesitate to let them wrench on my bike. Pride in their workmanship is evident at their shop.

Thank you for the kind words TN, it was a pleasure meeting you and hope you enjoy the ride.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #1546 on: June 27, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »

Yes Sir

Them boys at J&B Performance are my kind of folks. Gotta make another trip down there soon myself but ain't had the time recently to do it.....Might turn into a winter project...

I got a set of triple plated, stainless lined, unobtainium cam cubes to have installed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:09:23 PM by SHRADER »
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

MCE

« Reply #1547 on: June 27, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

Thank you for the kind words TN, it was a pleasure meeting you and hope you enjoy the ride.

Really good tuners are hard to come by. I do machine work for Two local tuners and the stuff they get
in to "fix" from other shops (Harley for example) is atrocious.

Hat's off to you guys at J&B, That takes a TON of patience
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:39:51 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1548 on: June 28, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »

A typical 117"
This was not from a drop on kit and used KB pistons, CR595 cam, OEM heads with 1.98x1.61 valves at 11.0:1
Quiet motor touring manners. I like the 117" 3/8 stroke for longevity, longer skirts lower piston speed.

MCE

« Reply #1549 on: June 28, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »

Looks great! Nice, flat TQ. I love those curves.
103 castings?

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #1550 on: July 01, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »

Hi TN Very sorry to read about your problems. I was going to have the heads ported this winter by the same company that worked on your heads. But not now!! Thank you for your honesty!!

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #1551 on: July 12, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »

Well the damn 117" kit is on backorder right now so it doesn't matter what I do or don't do at this point. I did a 10 hour ride yesterday which felt great and I really like this bike over my old 2011 with the 103. I finally made it all the way thru the 104 pages and while there is a lot of information there's also a ton of drama.
The dealer where I bought the bike and who is ordering all the parts is not budging on the whole tuner issue. At this point I think once the engine kit comes off backorder I'll just let them do the install and then once I get it back depending on when the kit is finally here my riding season will about be over. So come spring I'll take it over to a GOOD tuner and have them do their magic with what ever tuner they like.

So speaking of the where is a good dyno shop in the westside of WA? To the best of my knowledge unless I go to Spokane there aren't any good dyno shops on the eastside of WA. If I'm mistaken I'd like to hear about it. Might not do the heads this winter but if not will for sure do them next winter.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #1552 on: July 12, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

Baisley Hi-Performance, one of the best Cylinder Head Shops in the Industry, is located in Portland,OR they can steer you in the right direction.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #1553 on: July 12, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »

Chad at Sound Harley in Marysville is pretty bright and getting a pretty good reputation.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1554 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:33 AM »

I know most of the tuners in the area. Have not spoke with Chad however. It is surprising how many end up at Lonewolf in Naniamo because Russell is a perfectionist. Locally I have a few that are close by including Easy Street Cycles in Parkland. Marty Smestad now works at Eastside and is a good tuner as well. Most of them are comfortable with TTS mastertune. New shop close by in Federal Way, Performance Twin Cam is dynojet certified for Power Vision.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
« Reply #1555 on: July 14, 2019, 03:32:06 AM »

I know this is like asking what is the BEST seat to buy.

Which tuner is the BEST for these 117" kits if you are planning on doing other mods down the line like heads, increased compression & maybe different cam?

As I said before I really don't care about being able to brag about my dyno sheet I am more interested in good usable low to mid range torque. I ride solo most of the time and weigh 230lbs. I carry normal amount of gear when traveling and enjoy back roads more than freeway. For now I'll stick with the SE259 cam and plan on bringing my heads and jugs to HD Performance to bump the compression up between 10.5-10.8 either this winter or next. I know running the SESPT isn't the best choice but for now I'm going to so I can keep my ESP. When I decide to do all the additional engine work I'll cancel the ESP and get a better tuner. I bought the ESP because it was a used bike and the PO hadn't taken good care of the bike. So I'll feel a lot better if I get at least a year of coverage first in case anything goes wrong with the bike. I get that the SESPT won't allow me to get the full potential and is going to run leaner than a GOOD tuner. Emerald City HD is not willing to work with me on this and they are ones who are doing the kit install. I need to go back over and try talking to them face to face. The last time I dealt with them was back in 2006 when I had to get some warranty work done to my Buell XB9SX Lightening. And they have changed hands since then and are now owned by the same owners as Eastside but the two stores are still separate.

My ex-wife had a 2011 CVO Convertable that Eastside had done a bunch of engine work to and that 110" was a monster. I have no idea if the service department at Emerald City is even any good. But when I live my choices are pretty limited anyhow. Owens Cycle in Yakima is my closest HD dealer but I have not had very good experiance with them so I won't take the bike to them to be worked on.

Eastside I trust the most and they are about 2 hours away. Emerald City is 2.5 hours away so when it comes time for getting the bike dyno'd I'll most likely end up going to one of the shops in the south sound area. They are about the same distance as Eastside. And when the time comes I would rather go to a independent shop instead of a HD shop. I plan on doing the tare down and assembly work myself and then I'll trailer the bike to which ever shop I'm going to use. I'm not 100% positive but I don't think Emerald City has a dyno so I am guessing they are just going to throw a canned tune on the bike after the kit is installed.

I appreciate all the advice and experiance offered up to help me with this mod. Please don't anyone take it the wrong way if I don't follow your advise to the T.

Now if HD would just get the DANG NAB kit off back order...……………………..
When I ordered the kit I chose to get the Black cylinders even though I have the Granite case but am now thinking I should tell the parts manager to change it to the Granite. I am going with Black V&H Power Duals and Black Khrome Werks mufflers with billet rings on the tips. What does everyone say? Will the black cylinders look wrong on my engine case? Fire away everyone and give me your thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:37:54 AM by WildmanUltra »

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #1556 on: July 14, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »

Have you already installed the 117 kit with the SE 259. What year is your CVO?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #1557 on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »

I think the question in that long post is “what’s the best tuner”?

The best tuner is the one that the dyno guy is most familiar with. 
IMO, the most capable tuners are the TTS and PowerVision in that order.

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #1558 on: July 14, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »

I agree with hawgzilla..I use a power commander 5 and I was told by my tuner if anything ever happens to my bike while I am away from my local dealer that i should disconnect it , prior to taking it in to the dealership..2015 CVO 110 with SE 585 cams and 58 mm tb, Full Sac Dx pipe..110/114 still under ESP (in fact getting new rotors due to warping for 50.00, but I got to pay the full price for break pads)..If and when something happens then i will have the dealer install the 117 kit ( which i will have to get since i live in Cali) and install the TTS 150 cam or Tman 625 cam)..

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #1559 on: July 14, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »

Another option is to send your heads to HDSP   if you want to stick with a harley cam..either the SE 259 at 10.7-10.8 or the SE 585 at 10.3-10.5..Valve job, deck the heads, cometic, and if you want to keep your warranty use your current tuner or pc 5 and remove it, but if you dont care about your warranty get the TTS  or the Power Vision..119-120/125-130 are typical results depending on cam, compression,  and who dyno tunes it..

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 24 queries.