Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: bike is getting harder to start  (Read 3468 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: bike is getting harder to start
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »

Sorry man, I beg to differ! They absolutely can offer no warnings of failure, and surely leave ya stranded. They aren't gel batteries either. ;)

Hoist! 8)

The last time that happened to me the dealer trouble shooted the electrical system for hours before they found it was a dead battery. Like Hoist said they will give you no warning at all and are hard to find out in the middle of nowhere. I change mine every year regardless, and use the old one to run my wife's water features in her garden with solar.
This situation smells like bad ACR's and would cause the bike to crank real slow if at all on a cold morning. At the time my buddy's dealer was unaware that the CVO's even had ACR's and just gave him new batteries when he complained until the recall. He hasn't had a problem since.  Doc 

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »

I never said batteries can't just die without warning. They certainly do. I said they NORMALY give you clues, IE hard starting. As for factory gel cells that is just what my parts counter person at the dealer told me. I guess it is not abnormal for the guy schlepping parts not to know his a$$ from a hole in the ground though!. I just never gave it a second thought when he told me that because it makes so much sense to put a gel in something that shakes like that....
     I still believe buying a new battery every year or two just because is silly. They are designed to and NORMALY do last longer. I also don't think motorcycle batteries are hard to find in a pinch. Wal Mart has something on the cheap I guarantee will fit well enough to get you home. Then again, I am the guy who bellyaches about spending only $1500.00 to replace cam tensioner shoes...

I need to get out and ride, I am starting to get squirrelly...
Semper Fidelis

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »

Where's the kick starter on my bike?  I got gypped!   :pineapple:
Jesus is Lord
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.