Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Hou'ray for Ouray, 2015! CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO and Back.  (Read 27548 times)

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Hou'ray for Ouray, 2015! 2015 CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO and Back.
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 03:41:33 AM »

Thanks for sharing.
Great pictures  :2vrolijk_21:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 04:01:13 AM »

This is Sherman Canyon and the first major sight you see after entering the park.  As you can see from the trails, it foreshadowed our 4 wheeling activities. 

There are two jeeps on the upper trail and one much lower.  Note how small they look! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:22 AM »

As I mentioned, from Moab it was 150 miles into Ouray.  I'd added about 50 miles in Canyonlands but hey, Hooray for Ouray!   :huepfenjump3:   :orange:   :bananarock:   :mango:   :2vrolijk_21:    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Harley88

• Harley 88
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NV

• CVO1: 07 blue
    • CVO2: 13 sliver
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »

Very nice pic thanks for sharing

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »

Great pics Greg and thanks for the commentary. I find as I get older my OCD increases especially with cleaning my bikes! Then 10 minutes after meeting you I found out I don't even clean them properly!!! I now need 2 buckets - 1 soap and 1 clean water and a special technique for dipping the rag........ did I mention the OCD part? And now - furniture pads under the saddlebags??? I think I need to schedule a therapy appointment!! Well its off to get furniture pads......... great meeting you Greg. Look forward to the next GTG.   :drink: :apple: :cucumber: :orange:

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »

Great pics Greg and thanks for the commentary. I find as I get older my OCD increases especially with cleaning my bikes! Then 10 minutes after meeting you I found out I don't even clean them properly!!! I now need 2 buckets - 1 soap and 1 clean water and a special technique for dipping the rag........ did I mention the OCD part? And now - furniture pads under the saddlebags??? I think I need to schedule a therapy appointment!! Well its off to get furniture pads......... great meeting you Greg. Look forward to the next GTG.   :drink: :apple: :cucumber: :orange:

Thanks! My friend, Kyle hired a detailer for when I got back who put my cleaning / polishing skills to shame!  This gut spent 13 hours on two touring bikes!  Now that's ODC!  For the pads, you may not have seen this thread:  Two Free (almost) Modifications for Your Bags

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »

Sunday evening as folks pulled into Twin Peaks was great fun.  Old friends got reacquainted and new friendships created.  Most of us went down to the local Brew Pub for beers and burgers which were quite good.  Jock was clicking away so he has the pics for that.   

Early Bird Monday, June 15:  James, Mark, Alan, John Shimada and I headed to Gateway, CO.  It was a warm 121 miles.  From Ouray, we went north on the 550 to Ridgeway, west on the 62 to Placerville which turns into the 145 in Norwood and the 141 in Naturita.  This a beautiful ride which includes the Norwood Canyon and grade into Norwood with beautiful views of the Delores River.  By the time you get to Uravan, you enter Delores Canyon which is spctactular!  The canyon literally dumps you into Gateway.  It was such a beautiful ride that we went back the way we came rather than doing a loop. 

There, we encountered the beautiful John Hendricks resort, spa, ranch and the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum, "With more than fifty vehicles from the privately owned Hendricks Collection on display at any given time – the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum tells a story…the story of how the automobile impacted society. It is a wonderful visual and educational experience with historical perspective.

The museum displays illustrate over a century of automotive history in America from the 1906 Cadillac Model H Coupe to the first special 2006 Chip Foose Mustang Stallion, and a historic NASCAR Chevrolet raced by driver Jimmie Johnson. Presented as art in several galleries – each vehicle is chosen for its unique impact on design, engineering, industry or culture. Your self guided tour begins in the Open Road Theater with a video featuring the legendary Walter Cronkite speaking on the American Automobile and its place in society – as well as a brief video clip showing the acquisition of the Auto Museum’s own $3.24 million dollar version of the “Mona Lisa” – the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Concept Car. This historic car is joined by another one-of-kind car, the 1954 DeSoto Adventurer II by Ghia. They are presented along with other rare and unique vehicles that include Cunningham, Duesenberg, Auburn and Cord.

The Hendricks Collection, owned by Discovery Channel founder John Hendricks and his family, and the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum have a broad appeal. The stories told by the Hendricks Collection will captivate every person who passes through the Galleries, rekindling a strong connection to a vehicle from the past or viewed simply as rolling artworks pristinely preserved and uniquely presented for you to enjoy. John Hendricks phrased it perfectly: People “experienced cars as magic machines that provoked dreams of adventure on the open road.”
  So for you car guys: 

As you can see, John was on his Red... um.... Goldwing.  I have officially renamed him on the site to, "CVH!"
And the cars (and bikes):

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:51:46 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »

The $3.24 million, 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Concept Car.

My personal favorites, a '63 Split Window Coup, '58 Convertible and an original edition '53 Convertible!   :huepfenjump3:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:53:48 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »

There where some great pieces in the collection.  I got a feeling Mr. Hendrick has a special place in his heart for Harley Earl.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

There where some great pieces in the collection.  I got a feeling Mr. Hendrick has a special place in his heart for Harley Earl.

Agreed!  John, I want to see YOUR pics!   :D

As we got back to Ouray, Monday afternoon,  we got a few pictures from the Ouray Overlook:

By this time we had scoured the town for a guitar for me to make some noise on.  Sunday evening, Jim from Canada and I walked up and down Main Street asking everyone if they knew of one.  Nancy in the Twin Pines office was trying to help and came up with a name but I could not connect.  It looked like everyone was to be spared an auditory onslaught!   :nervous:   Eh? 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:10:51 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »

Tuesday, June 16:  The morning was cool and raining but we knew it would pass through.  While we were hanging out in front of the rooms, Christine shouts,  "Greg, they have guitars!"  Turns out I meet Betty and Charles Lewis and their son, Colton.  The Father and son between them had three guitars so we had an impromptu jam session while waiting for the weather to clear.  By the time I was done most had left.  Alan Paz and I thus collected our box lunches and left for the South Rim entrance of Black Canyon of the Gunnisson National Park, only 50 miles to the north up the 550 and east on the 50. 

The park contains 12 miles of the 48-mile long canyon of the Gunnison River. The national park itself contains the deepest and most dramatic section of the canyon, but the canyon continues upstream into Curecanti National Recreation Area and downstream into Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area. The canyon's name owes itself to the fact that parts of the gorge only receive 33 minutes of sunlight a day, according to "The Black Canyon of the Gunnison." In the book, Vandenbusche states, "Several canyons of the American West are longer and some are deeper, but none combines the depth, sheerness, narrowness, darkness, and dread of the Black Canyon."

The Gunnison River drops an average of 34 feet per mile through the entire canyon, making it the 5th steepest mountain descent in North America. By comparison, the Colorado River drops an average of 7.5 feet per mile through the Grand Canyon. The greatest descent of the Gunnison River occurs within the park at Chasm View dropping 240 feet per mile. The Black Canyon is so named due its steepness which makes it difficult for sunlight to penetrate into its depths. As a result, the canyon is often shrouded in shadow, causing the rocky walls to appear black. At its narrowest point the canyon is only 40 ft wide at the river.

Lunch at the Chasm:

Tomichi Point Overlook:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »

We watched a great film at the visitors center learning the history and funtion of the canyon and dam.  By heading back toward the south entrance, you can ride a very steep grade down to the water and dam. 

The road back up!

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »

Wednesday, June 17:  JC had suggested and organized a 4 wheel day over the Alpine Loop out of Ouray.  I'd signed up as a passenger but wound up driving a jeep for the first time.  I don't think my passengers knew the danger they were in.  Well maybe Simon knew as he seemed to get bounced around the most.   :oops:   We drove (rock hopped?) over Engineer and Cinnamon Passes to Kathy and San Juan Ron's mountain retreat for lunch and then back over Cinnamon Pass through Animus Forks into Silverton before taking the Million Dollar Highway (550) back to Ouray.  All I can say is, WOW!   :huepfenjump3:   :huepfenjump3: 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:41:27 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »

UP!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

I think I want to move to Colorado!    :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:49:00 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »

Life on top!   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

And the best was yet to come! 

Sawyer Brown

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 26 queries.