Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Water Spots  (Read 5199 times)

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
  • Keep the wind in your hair, the bugs in your teeth
Water Spots
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

The product I am using to wash my bike is leaving water spots. looking for something that won't leave spots.  Anyone?   Thanks   "Joeymaq" :(
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Water Spots
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »

Bob aka Boatman tested out one product although i don't remember how it worked out, i imagine he will see this and comment, or you could send him a pm.

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »

OK, Thanks "Ohio Dave" 
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

Wash your bike with anything you want, rinse first with tap water, second with soft water from a Mr. Clean unit or more expensive system.

Instead of the latter, you can meticulously towel dry it or blow dry it, but I prefer soft water rinse.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »

The product I am using to wash my bike is leaving water spots. looking for something that won't leave spots.  Anyone?   Thanks   "Joeymaq" :(

There are two issues involved that create the dreaded water spots.  One is the way water beads on the surface, more so on a freshly painted or waxed surface, and the other is the minerals present in the rinse water.  The first thing you need to do is use an automotive detergent/soap that has wetting agents in it, like the one in the Mr. Clean system.  They reduce the surface tension of the water and allow it to sheet rather than bead.  Then you need to eliminate the mineral issue with a deionized final rinse.  The previously mentioned Mr. Clean will work, but a larger system will work a lot better.  That is what Boatman installed, more of a commercial quality deionized water system.

If the right soap and rinse water are used, you can probably get away with just letting the surface drip dry (out of the sun, of course), but you will get a better result if you blow it dry and then touch up any remaining areas with a clean towel.  I use microfiber or an old cotton T-shirt myself.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »

Thanks for the replys!   "Joeymaq"  :carrot:

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

Wash with your choice of purpose formulated cleaning agents (I like Glare Ultra Wash) followed by copious rinsing with low pressure regular rinse water from the top down in every nook and cranny, followed by low pressure deionized water rinse from the top down in every nook and cranny, followed by a blow dry (I use a Husqvarna backpack leaf blower, followed by a detailed hand wipe with microfiber towels.

Then it's time to go to work......but that's out of scope for this topic.   :2vrolijk_21:

Elixer

• Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler [ Let The Good Times Roll ]
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CVO 105th Annv. FLHRSE4 Build 1096/1800
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:41 AM »

I personally don't have this problem even though I frequently wash my MC. My secret (which hey, is no secret) is my trusty Home Depot Garden Leaf Blower. For me, and as most I do use a automotive car-wash solution as well, but have the blower plugged and ready to go as soon as I drop the garden hose after rinsing.

Wash in the shade when its (MC) is cooled down, and give a good B-job, before you crank it after the rinse.

I've owned and own a number of high-line automobiles, etc...but nothing seems more of a pleasure in terms of cleaning, than when my scoot startings a shining from its fresh wash. Chrome and Rubber.
Pic is my babe ~ get your own

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

I have a CR Spotless system and it works great:

I use it in conjunction with an 1800psi electric pressure washer in order to limit the flow to 2.5 gpm. Normally use Mother's California Gold car wash in the Pressure Washer tank.

I still blow dry everything, but this prevents spotting in case I miss an area. Eventually I'll put in a "wash station" and wall mount it inside, with just a spigot on the outside for de-ionized water. Very convenient to have the large unit on wheels.

As a test I have used the system in full sun and it really is a wash and walk away system. I only did it as a test, I would NEVER condone washing a vehicle in direct sunlight!

Link is here: http://crspotless.com/

I bought mine through Costco for less than $400 if I remember right.
Best $400 I've spent in a long time.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

I asked this question over a month or so ago and someone replied with using distilled water in a spray bottle. Use after all the soap is washed away. I have not tried it yet but think it could be a less expensive route. I love my craftsman blower/vaccume.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »

try it one time. and when your hand stops cramping, go to Wal-Mart and get a Mr Clean set up
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:05 AM »

try it one time. and when your hand stops cramping, go to Wal-Mart and get a Mr Clean set up

LOL... I hear ya and think this is why I have yet to try it.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »

I never have had that problem because I hand clean my bike with Cleaner/Brightner fluid and yellow cloths from Cosco. It takes a little longer but I know every square inch of my bike.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »

Use a micro fiber drying towel and dry the water, If you leave no water, you have no spots. Mr Clean, Distilled water, whatever, you have to remove the water when done washing to eliminate spots. Take 10 more minutes and dry it.. dry.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »

Use a micro fiber drying towel and dry the water, If you leave no water, you have no spots. Mr Clean, Distilled water, whatever, you have to remove the water when done washing to eliminate spots. Take 10 more minutes and dry it.. dry.
Yeah, that's what I always do.  Reading this thread, I'm thinking.. :thinking2:...am I missing something here?  :oops: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 03:42:50 AM »

I just wash mine like I would my car and when I'm done I blow it dry with a large blower and then hit any left over water with a chamois.  Got the blower from my stepson-it's made for drying cattle and really blows well!  As long as you get rid of the water some way you won't have any spots.  Of course if there are no minerals in the water there shouldn't be any spots either.
Steve

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »

or get one of these and forget it, what spots
this'll wake chip up

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »

^^^  That's definitely Sham - WOW :pepper:
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »

Nice Gremlin.  :-* har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »

Nice Gremlin.  :-* har!  :drink: spyder
Never heard "it" called a gremlin before. ;) :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »

Earlier this week, I washed my bike and then used my Cycle Dry and then microfiber towels.  Then I backed the bike out into the driveway and let it sit for a few hours in the sun.  I took a ride to the dealer and after feeling water hitting my arms, I stopped to wipe down everything I could find that flew up.  I continued on to the dealer, and hit 110 mph on a long downhill straight stretch.  Then I was at the dealer for about 2 more hours, with my bike sitting in the sun again.  When I left, I felt the water hitting my hands again.  We stopped for gas and I wiped the bike down again.  On the way home, again the water was flying.  I thought I had everything completely dry after the Cycle Dry and microfiber.  I still can't figure out where that water is hiding at and I hate spending all of that time cleaning, only to have water start flying all over the bike again.  When that happens, it dries in streaks.  Where is the hiding place that I am missing?  Most of the water is hitting the upper section of the lowers. 

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

usually it hangs out under things, after to blow the bike off, like a bad girlfriend, point it up and under areas.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

usually it hangs out under things, after to blow the bike off, like a bad girlfriend, point it up and under areas.

I did and always do when I'm at home with all the equipment.  This is the first time I've had this happen since my RK.  I don't know what I could have missed that sitting in the hot sun for hours wouldn't have taken care of, and that riding at 110 mph wouldn't have gotten rid of.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »

I did and always do when I'm at home with all the equipment.  This is the first time I've had this happen since my RK.  I don't know what I could have missed that sitting in the hot sun for hours wouldn't have taken care of, and that riding at 110 mph wouldn't have gotten rid of.
you talking bike or old Girlfriend

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »

you talking bike or old Girlfriend

Both, of course...when I'm not trying to find a place that sells fudge.  Maybe they have some in Gatlinburg.  What do you think?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »

I have a CR Spotless system and it works great:

You're my hero!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_20: :znotworthy:

I'll start selling this idea to my wife as my xmas present!  :bananarock:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:43 AM »

For those who want to blow-dry their bikes and don't want to go the leaf blower route... LarryB hooked up a decent deal on the new model AirShammy... heated & filtered air in a nifty little package. He got his not long ago, so I haven't heard from him as to how it works... but I ordered mine!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40759.0

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »

It works great, compact, quiet, long hose & cord. with the new upgraded version it really has a good force to it ( i was gonna say it really blows but , you know) after about 10 seconds the air warms up above ambient air temp. good product, right price, I'd suggest you call them and make sure you mention CVOharley and Me.

Elixer

• Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler [ Let The Good Times Roll ]
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CVO 105th Annv. FLHRSE4 Build 1096/1800
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »

or get one of these and forget it, what spots
this'll wake chip up

Whoa. Thats a smile and a half. Lucky man you are.
Pic is my babe ~ get your own

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

I asked this question over a month or so ago and someone replied with using distilled water in a spray bottle. Use after all the soap is washed away. I have not tried it yet but think it could be a less expensive route. I love my craftsman blower/vaccume.

Topper

I actually suggested this.  After the bike has been rinsed take a quick detailer spray such as Meguiar's and mix with distilled water (50-50 for me).  I use this on my suv too and you don't have to spray that much that your hands are going to cramp up.  Just spray a light mist on the bike and the quick detailer will help the water run off and prevent spotting.  When I was younger I used to detail cars and this was a trick I picked up from a old pro it really helps to prevent water spots. 

What I do is:

Spray bike down good with water make sure to rinse off any lose dirt and soak bugs and such well with a little soapy water...kind of a pre soak.
Rinse bike.
Wash bike good top to bottom.  Try to save the dirty parts at bottom for last and use a separate wash mitt to prevent scratches.
Rinse bike well.
I like to take my leaf blower to it to get most of the water out of the hiding spots around the engine and tires, rims, and such.
Spray the entire bike with a mist of the Meguiar's quick detailer/distilled water spray.  I actually just started using Mother's Quick detailer and I like it the best so far.  (This works and it will not take that long you are not trying to re rinse the bike but rather spray a mist to avoid water spots)
Dry with a microfiber towel and use a couple of different towels for paint and separate for rims etc.  AND Make sure they are clean!

Go ride and get bugs all over it so it needs to be cleaned again!   :2vrolijk_21:

IMHO the Mr. Clean system is about worthless.  I have a home water treatment system but the only thing running to my outside is a sediment filter which is another inexpensive option.  They won't help to much with the water spots. 
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

Wanna ride

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »

I know it sounds like a PITA, but as soon as I wash my bike, I don't even dry it off. I hop on and ride straight to the neighborhood coin-op car wash. It's only about a 1/4 mile from the house, so the bike doesn't even have time to warm up. I put in about ten quarters, select the "spot-free rinse" option, wait a few seconds to let the previous selection purge through the hose and wand, and then proceed to exhaust the rest of the time on just a good thorough rinse.  Then I head back to the house via alonger route that I get up to about 60mph for a couple miles, and I phead home. Once home, I proceed to wipe the entire bike down by hand with mysnthetic chamois, the "Absorber".

This is the way I've been doing it for quite some time, and it's the only way it looks good. The secret is the "spot-free rinse" selection, it's from an RO system, so there's no contaminants or minerals, etc in the water. Makes a HUGE difference. Hope this helps!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 21 queries.