Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on Glare, Griot's 3" buffer, mixing products  (Read 3006 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Question on Glare, Griot's 3" buffer, mixing products
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »

Looking to take the plunge into some better wax/Glare/3" buffer. This is the first black painted bike I have ever owned. The bike doesn't have swirl marks from buffing, but in the right light, with the right angle, you can see fine scratch's? Not really sure how to describe what I see. To me swirl marks are hazy, buff marks, these aren't what I am talking about.

Anyway, back to the real question at hand. I read that if you use Glare, you are not supposed to mix other products with it. For any of you that have the 3" buffer, are you using a glare product with the buffer? That Glare stuff is $$$$$. Question is, should I buy the buffer and Glare products, or the buffer and some good polish/wax from Griot's.

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
Re: Question on Glare, Griot's 3" buffer, mixing products
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »

Cant answer about the mixing but i just used glare for the first time on my bike this past weekend and it has never looked as good as it does now. It turned out so good I went ahead and did my truck also. I used the whole winners circle kit on both.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

from what i understand from reading all the posts and the Glare website.  you should not mix products.  stay with Glare line.  for a new bike or in excellent condition all you need is the wax, but they have a product called Spider (?) if i have that right that would take out some very minor swirls.  I have used Glare and it is very good product.  I put on by hand but a 3" is usable as well.  I have also used many Griots products and they are top quality as well, but they are traditional waxes, cleaners etc. 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »

I use the Glare products with the Griots 3" Orbital. Works fine. I wouldn't recommend mixing other polish products with the glare stuff.

justplainjim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »

Same reply as Buy Early..

Hammbone

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »

Hey FAST380 I just called Glare yesterday and placed a order by phone , I talked to Perry Stevens who is a chemist for Glare, he is extremely knowledgable , not only about glare products but all of the stuff out there....he would definitely be able to answer all your questions!!! He went indepth through all of the products , what they are made from , to what you use it on ,temps, specs ect......I ordered due to all of the positive comments I have read on posts...my kit should be here Monday , I have have never used Glare  before so....I'm very anxious to get it on my new  SESG, the wife's 07 heritage will be the real test though.....The discount for being a CVO Forum member Sweetened the deal also....the number is on there web site....I think it is 866-374-5273 ask for Perry.....

Later Hammbone
Semper Fi

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »

Glare products, Groite's buffers, both 3 and 6 inch. small for bikes, large for car/truck.

HarlyFan

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »

What is the dicount on Glare products for CVO forum members?

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:26:42 AM »

What is the dicount on Glare products for CVO forum members?

15%, spoke with Perry Stevens ~ was also identified as the sales guy on my paperwork....

CVO Willy

• CVO Willy
  • Full CVO Member
  • Loving The Wine Country

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:29:24 AM »

Highly Recommend All the Glare Products....................... Always get comments on my bike how deep the shine is. Very High Quality of a product. Perry has great information and Customer Service is nothing less than Stellar....................... I would say for me the hand buffing works best. I did a couple of years ago buy the small 3" 18 volt buffer and found that there are to many small nooks and crannies on the bike to make it worth my while.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:34:20 AM by CVO Willy »
CVO WILLY

Loving The Wine Country

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »

When I asked Perry why not use other waxes, his main answer was it will dull the shine. I used Girots Speed Shine on top of Glare before I gave the scoot its yearly full Glare treatment and could not see any dulling. Get the 4 step Glare kit and you will be amazed at the scratches that dissappear. It is truely the best product out there, and no I don't own any stock. Might cost a little more, but will pay you back in 'SHINE'
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »

The Glare Spyder will remove fine scratches and swirl marks.  Their products cost more, but they are worth it, plus they last a LONG time as it doesn't take much to go a long way.  Holds up well to wash after wash, if you don't use harsh soaps.  I use the Griot's 3" orbital...while it will not get into the smaller nooks and crannys, it makes the larger surfaces much easier to do...just don't use much product on the pad or it'll be everywhere you don't want it to be.

I use Griot's Spray Wash and also their Speed Shine, depending on level of grime on the paint, along with their microfiber cloths...best stuff I've found to do a quick detail with, or just get the road dust off the bike without doing a full blown wet wash.  It's handy for road trips...just put some in a smaller spray bottle to keep on board the bike.  It doesn't seem to effect the Glare shine.

I would never put Carnuba wax over a Glare job though...it's useless work, and carnuba washes off quickly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

The Glare stuff is the real deal on a black or dark color bike.  Doesn't seem to be all that much better on the lighter colors, but, it'll wow you on the black!!  Does last longer also.  I use the Glare wash so as to not take anything away from it, but confess to using the Honda detailer for those touch-ups between washes and it doesn't seem to suffer too much.  Enjoy the deeper, darker,  no-scratches black ! har.   :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 22 queries.