Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: LED Gas Gauge  (Read 2189 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: LED Gas Gauge
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »

One of the new cost savings ideas at Harley will be a new clear plastic fuel tank.  This will allow them to finally retire the cheap POS they call a sending unit to the hall of shame.

Another suggestion is to mount a small microphone to the tank and route the output to your sound system.  By listening to the changes in the sloshing sound, you will eventually be able to estimate fuel levels at least as well as the gauge.

Jerry

PS, doesn't matter if you have an LED or old fashioned analog gauge, you can make it read accurately in the lower ranges if you want to invest a little time and energy.  Suggestion:  fill the tank with the amount you want to correlate with a certain point on the gauge, such as one LED or the 3/16 mark on an anolog gauge at 1.5 gallons remaining, and then adjust the sending unit to read where you want it.  It may not be accurate when full, but who really cares about that?

I did that with my 2000 deuce.  It never read full.  I removed the sending unit and "calibrated" the arm til it read full.  It actually wasn't too bad after that thru the whole range, but I had reserve.  With each bike I ride it until the reserve or light comes on just so  I know about how many miles.  That's when I found that I could put 5.5 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon tank that had just hit reserve!  It's true.  I did some research and even called HD.  They said full was one inch below the bottom of the lowest part of the fill on its jiffy stand.   I guess that way when level, the gas isn't coming out the vent.   A friend fills his carb. Deuce while level and one time filled it so much it wouldn't run because the vent was blocked.  We had to open the cap to get it to run.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »

How do you adjust the sending unit ? Is it adjusting/bending the arm on a float switch or something like that? When mine ran out of gas with two LEDs on, the low fuel light never came on. I guess that makes sense if its using the same sending unit that thinks there is still a quarter tank left.
2011 FLHXSE2

Garucci

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »

Mine was exactly the same way, 2 leds and no warning of a low fuel light.  thanks for all the suggestions
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.