Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hotels have changed their cancellation policies...  (Read 2994 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Hotels have changed their cancellation policies...
« on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:03 AM »

I have noticed that the mayor hotel chains have implemented a 48 to 72 hour reservation policy.

This is also true with Best Western.

I understand this policy for resorts type hotels where you go for vacations but for those hotel that mainly cater to transient traveler this makes no sense to me.

Luckily I only got caught on this once so far due to weather. I call the Best Western hotel at 1 o’clock in afternoon on the day of arrival  and told them that we were on motorcycles and that because of a band of thunderstorms we were not going to make it that day and wanted to cancel our reservation.

The hotel clerk said she was sorry but with the 48 hour cancellation policy I was still going to be charged.

So I went to the Best Western website and CHANGED my reservation to 3 weeks out. Then later that week canceled the reservation. I real pain but at least I saved $70.

Well now it seem that they are starting to charge your credit card 24 hours in advance of your arrival. So I don’t know if my hack will work in this situation.

I would rather stay at the Mom and Pop motels, but it difficult to know we’re the good ones are.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Hotels have changed their cancellation policies...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »

We have ran into this twice lately, both times our fault as wife took cheapest rate when booking, failing to notice that an extended cancellation time existed for the lower per rate night. Both times using Hotels.com saved us. The hotel charged us but Hotels.com issued a voucher for the amount to be used at a later date.
Just took a phone call and explanation to the booking company.

mark

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »

I travel a lot with work and it depends on the locale.  Most hotels have a 24 hr cancellation policy, but in areas where there's high hotel useage, like Palm Beach in the winter, most extend the cancellation policy to 2 to 3 days before your arrival.

Slick move on changing your reservations, then cancelling, to avoid being charged.  I'll have to remember that.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »

Regarding charging your credit card 24 hours in advance. That’s most likely a preauthorization to verify your credit card. Still comes through to you via an alert if you have that set up on your credit card account for transactions where card was not present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »

I have noticed that the mayor hotel chains have implemented a 48 to 72 hour reservation policy.

This is also true with Best Western.

I understand this policy for resorts type hotels where you go for vacations but for those hotel that mainly cater to transient traveler this makes no sense to me.

Luckily I only got caught on this once so far due to weather. I call the Best Western hotel at 1 o’clock in afternoon on the day of arrival  and told them that we were on motorcycles and that because of a band of thunderstorms we were not going to make it that day and wanted to cancel our reservation.

The hotel clerk said she was sorry but with the 48 hour cancellation policy I was still going to be charged.

So I went to the Best Western website and CHANGED my reservation to 3 weeks out. Then later that week canceled the reservation. I real pain but at least I saved $70.

Well now it seem that they are starting to charge your credit card 24 hours in advance of your arrival. So I don’t know if my hack will work in this situation.

I would rather stay at the Mom and Pop motels, but it difficult to know we’re the good ones are.

You could always do what this guy does  :nixweiss:

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »

You could always do what this guy does  :nixweiss:

Well, yes we can.....on our way to the Arizona GTG.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

On our trip last July we had reservations with BW the first 2 nights.
We left work a couple hours late, that led to 100 miles short on our planned stops.
 First night my wife called to cancel stating were on a bike and delayed by rain. Original hotel said no problem but wanted us to confirm we had a room where we were before they would cancel.
 2 nd night still 100 miles behind she called to say we are on our Harley and had broken down. ( They all do that  )
Both times we got our cancellations and full refunds.

Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

Besides being signed up with the Harley Ride Rewards program at Best Western I also have (and primarily use) a Best Western Master Card and so I get nearly all of our rooms by using points. 

Some hotels have a cancellation policy by 4:00 p.m. on date of arrival and some have a 24 hour cancellation (which is usually by 3:00 p.m. the day before).  I don't cancel often....as a matter of fact, it very rare, but I've not had a problem if it's withing their cancellation period.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »

Besides being signed up with the Harley Ride Rewards program at Best Western I also have (and primarily use) a Best Western Master Card and so I get nearly all of our rooms by using points. 

Some hotels have a cancellation policy by 4:00 p.m. on date of arrival and some have a 24 hour cancellation (which is usually by 3:00 p.m. the day before).  I don't cancel often....as a matter of fact, it very rare, but I've not had a problem if it's withing their cancellation period.
Looks like Harley/H.O.G. and Best Western have parted ways.  Don't know when but on the H.O.G. website it does not list the Best Western program any more and a call to Best Western confirmed that they no longer participate with Harley/ H.O.G. No idea what happened.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »

Hope it wasn't because I always ask if I can park my bike in the lobby.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »

Hope it wasn't because I always ask if I can park my bike in the lobby.

Maybe.  Because the bike will not fit in their elevators.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »

Looks like Harley/H.O.G. and Best Western have parted ways.  Don't know when but on the H.O.G. website it does not list the Best Western program any more and a call to Best Western confirmed that they no longer participate with Harley/ H.O.G. No idea what happened.   :nixweiss:

I've no idea when either Jerry.  I did try to use the HOG discount late summer of 2016 at a Best Western and was told then the discount was no longer offered.  Whether that was just the individual property or the entire chain also don't know.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »

Jerry I did notice that it's just called "Ride Rewards" now instead of Harley Davidson Ride Rewards but other than HD being dropped from the name in advertising, I didn't know the relationship had changed.  My credit card doesn't say HD Ride Rewards either.....just "Best Western Ride Rewards".

Interesting.  It seems like the MoCo has made a lot of changes that no longer caters to their customer base (us old farts).....and they wonder why sales have fallen off so steeply.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »

Jerry I did notice that it's just called "Ride Rewards" now instead of Harley Davidson Ride Rewards but other than HD being dropped from the name in advertising, I didn't know the relationship had changed.  My credit card doesn't say HD Ride Rewards either.....just "Best Western Ride Rewards".

Interesting.  It seems like the MoCo has made a lot of changes that no longer caters to their customer base (us old farts).....and they wonder why sales have fallen off so steeply.
You mean like you could rent a bike thru HOG, then that dropped! Then renting bikes thru dealers, that dropped!
The "TAZMUN"

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »

Like an earlier comment, be sure to check the cancellation policy when you select the room rate.  Often they will have a cheaper rate for a room with a shorter (or no) cancelation policy.  We tour and stay in hotels about 32 nights a year, only once this past year did we have a room that could not be canceled and it was due to the location.   
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 25 queries.