Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what lift can a stock CVO 110 take?  (Read 2010 times)

1NoMaD0

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

what lift can a stock CVO 110 take?
« on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »

i hear so make different things about what lift springs can take. So with that said. I have a 2011 CVO FLTRUSE.
I heard that stock 103 motors can take 585 lift cams no problems. so can a 110 take a 615 cam right?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: what lift can a stock CVO 110 take?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »

Back in 2008 Harley changed the 110 valve guides in response to the large number of guide failures on 2007/2008 CVO110's, and they published a Tech Tip concerning the change.  In that tech tip they say .596" is the maximum.  Click on the attached pdf to read the tech tip.  Btw, you should always actually measure these things, not just assume anything Harley or someone else tells you is gospel.  I've seen posts by some people on the site claiming they had plenty of clearance beyond the .596" Harley claims is the max, but I have no idea if they left the recommended extra clearance or used that up when they installed a higher lift cam.  Harley recommends .080" btw.  " Always verify that free travel exceeds maximum valve lift by at least .080 in. "

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:50:56 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1NoMaD0

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »

thank you that was exactly what i was looking for. 

Nocvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »

And yet tman supply a  .625 lift cam as a bolt in for the 110. I have seen in print, on a forum, from a known head porter that safe lift is .640 and coil bind will be at .680. Not that he recommended going there.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »

And yet tman supply a  .625 lift cam as a bolt in for the 110. I have seen in print, on a forum, from a known head porter that safe lift is .640 and coil bind will be at .680. Not that he recommended going there.

I've seen the same kinds of information as well, with claims all over the map including one post I saw somewhere claiming .640" was OK.  That's why I mentioned it is best to do some actual measurements of your particular heads, to take all the conflicting information out of the equation.  Note that H-D's info says .596" + .080" safety factor, which closely coincides with your .680" coil bind figure.  The difference is in how much the various folks selling cams are willing to shave the Harley recommended minimum safety factor. As always, caveat emptor applies.  If it was my engine and I really wanted to go big on the cams, I think I'd send the heads to a pro and have them properly set up, versus assuming I could just do a fast and dirty bolt-in install based on claims from someone wanting to sell me cams.  JMHO of course.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »

Maybe not a well known fact but the springs on the CVO has 2 versions. Early used a flat damper between the duals, late interference fit duals. Personally I would not take either below .050 to coil bind. After a valve job the spring pack height changes so there is more latitude to use them but i rarely do. There are much better springs out there that have more appropriate pressure.

Nocvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »

Maybe not a well known fact but the springs on the CVO has 2 versions. Early used a flat damper between the duals, late interference fit duals. Personally I would not take either below .050 to coil bind. After a valve job the spring pack height changes so there is more latitude to use them but i rarely do. There are much better springs out there that have more appropriate pressure.
Thanks mate.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.