Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 110 twin cooled to 124LC air cooled conversion  (Read 3566 times)

damonhoglund

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

110 twin cooled to 124LC air cooled conversion
« on: September 04, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »

HI, I am trying to replace the 110 twin cooled motor in a 2016 Road Glide CVO Ultra with a S&S 124LC motor, and I am having quite a bit of trouble with the watercooled temp sensor. I am wondering if I should just buy a air cooled wiring harness and BCM, I already have a thundermax tuner, and I am stumped,and could use some help, and, or guidance, and it woud be greatl appreciated, thanks in advance. Have a blessed day.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 110 twin cooled to 124LC air cooled conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »

It is either change electronics and program or use CVO 110 water cooled heads, comp releases (acr), and hd vent system and rocker covers and lower rockers, which can all be salvaged from your 110. Motor warranty goes away if you swap heads. Actually most dont want the hose kit and opt for the interface drilled anyway so that is a teardown anyway. I can help you get this done whatever route you decide on. Nothing wrong with just making the 110 air cooled either.

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »

I recently had a new S & S 124ci HC installed to replace my 110 ci on my 2015 SESG. Everything went relatively smooth. Used power comander for tuner. Bike runs like a raped ape. But.....but not able to eliminate engine light from coming on and staying on. I can’t remember the code number but I think it’s either water pump (which is gone) or temp sensor. It doesn’t bother me.

But perhaps you know a  way to stop the engine light. I’ll keep following....good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »

If I'm not mistaken a TTS and the proper tune should fix it all.

damonhoglund

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 09:14:58 AM »

I already have the 124LC installed and running, but the electronics thinks its overheating because of the water temp sensors 130 degree rating so we tied the water temp sensor to the head temp sensor, as of now we installed a set of love jugs, and trying to see what happens. If this does not work I think the wiring harness, and BM will have to be changed out, and in doing that I think I will lose some of the CVO features, but I truely dont know what will happen once thats done.I am deep into this modification and just want to get this bike reliable and back on the road.

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »

What about, just plugging in the sensor like it is supposed to be, and attach it out of the way.  It would read air temp.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:36:05 PM »

Why not just Just load an air cooled map for that year bike?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

damonhoglund

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »

So thanks to HD Street Performance, and Joe from Powerhouse cycles, I have been led to a solution for my problem. In case anyone else wants to go from a twin cooled to a air cooled motor, I would strongly suggest contacting either of these two. They were very helpful, and patient with me, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Thom

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2004 CVO SEEG
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »

My bottom end went out as well on my 110 and took the rest of the motor with it.  Is your 124LC conversion completed?  If so are you happy?  Does all of the electronics work correctly? Such as MPG, Oil Pressure, Temp, ...?  I'm seriously considering this as well.  Did you change the clutch?  I was told that the 110 clutch won't handle the 124.
Thanks for your prompt response to this matter.  If you would like to PM me, that would be great, would really like your feed back on if you would do it again.
Thom

damonhoglund

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »

I have been nothing but disappointed in what Ii have been through with putting the air  cooled motor on this bike I plan on selling it and I'm probably not going to get another bike.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »

I have been nothing but disappointed in what Ii have been through with putting the air  cooled motor on this bike I plan on selling it and I'm probably not going to get another bike.

should have just built your twin cooled motor to 124" instead of going with a crate motor

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »

I still don't understand the desire to convert from a superior cooling system to an older and less efficient system.  There are lots of reasons why the automotive folks abandoned air cooling for water cooling a hundred years ago, and you don't see anyone converting water cooled automotive engines back to air cooled.  Why not go all the way and throw an old shovel or pan in the chassis, 3 speed crash box trans, and cable operated brakes?

Jerry :nixweiss:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »

i feel bad when i read threads like this.   im certain that somebody gave the poster "good advice", took the money, and now it does not work.  changing engine family is a BIG job. performance enhancements should always be looked at though the eye that a failure could occur.  with a fuel injected engine big engine changes need to be done eyes wide open to the risk of a electrical mistake.   its not broken, its built wrong, and its sad.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

I still don't understand the desire to convert from a superior cooling system to an older and less efficient system.  There are lots of reasons why the automotive folks abandoned air cooling for water cooling a hundred years ago, and you don't see anyone converting water cooled automotive engines back to air cooled.  Why not go all the way and throw an old shovel or pan in the chassis, 3 speed crash box trans, and cable operated brakes?

Jerry :nixweiss:
No more master cylinder recalls if we go back to cable operated brakes

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:25:43 AM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »

Not more master cylinder recalls if we go back to cable operated brakes

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

;D  OK, true enough, but when Harley sourced the brake cables to China they would eventually have to recall those as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 24 queries.