Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 04 Pumpkin repairs  (Read 865 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
04 Pumpkin repairs
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »

Radio has been diagnosed as Bad and is being sent to Radio Sound to be fixed/replaced/whatever.   At idle radio plays absolutely perfectly.   Take it out on the road and ride and the radio breaks up.   At first thought it was the speakers / connection wasn't that easy unfortunately.

Also found compensator nut was loose again 3rd time when they went in to check the pinion gear, Mainshaft seal was leaking profusely, pinion gear had no teeth on it.   Seems someone made a big big boo boo when they put on the chrome inner primary they put a piece on the starter backwards.   Luckily all covered under extended warranty.   

Tried an 06 radio in the 04 for giggles seems some modifications would have to be made to make it fit.   Decided to wait on the repair although the 06 radio would have been interesting.   So, while we wait on the radio I sent the front fender off as well to have some road dings fixed, and the peeling clear coat fixed.  The fender should be back monday.

Don (Twolane) did you have to modify your inner fairing to accept the 06 radio in your bike or was it an 05 radio?

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 04 Pumpkin repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:31:15 AM »

Radio has been diagnosed as Bad and is being sent to Radio Sound to be fixed/replaced/whatever.   At idle radio plays absolutely perfectly.   Take it out on the road and ride and the radio breaks up.   At first thought it was the speakers / connection wasn't that easy unfortunately.

Also found compensator nut was loose again 3rd time when they went in to check the pinion gear, Mainshaft seal was leaking profusely, pinion gear had no teeth on it.   Seems someone made a big big boo boo when they put on the chrome inner primary they put a piece on the starter backwards.   Luckily all covered under extended warranty.   

Tried an 06 radio in the 04 for giggles seems some modifications would have to be made to make it fit.   Decided to wait on the repair although the 06 radio would have been interesting.   So, while we wait on the radio I sent the front fender off as well to have some road dings fixed, and the peeling clear coat fixed.  The fender should be back monday.

Don (Twolane) did you have to modify your inner fairing to accept the 06 radio in your bike or was it an 05 radio?

-harry

No Harry, it was a direct bolt in.  Was on an 04 I put one in also.  Not sure what you might be running in to.

However....

Even though it's a bolt in it's not a direct replacement.  There are software issues.  And it's not a software issue handled by any firmware download that I've seen out there. 

I honestly don't know if there are two sets of firmware in the radio or an area of the firmware not addressed by the various downloads.  The end result ends up being the same though.  Without a change to this otherwise unalterable area of the radio you'll get "clicks" in the audio output.  They won't go away.

When I got mine Roeder's Harley had a tech guy who had written a bit of code to solve this.  I read it out of my radio and copied it to use in another.  Then opened that code and altered it a it bit to make it work with yet another radio that had a firmware revision. 

A couple months later when trying to do yet another it had yet another firmware revision.  Seems they were updating these regularly.  The code change was specific to each firmware.  I quickly got tired of hacking the software for every possible firmware they might release.  So that was the end of it.

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »

Harry, the radio on my B&B will just quit, meaning all power goes off, when I stomp on it. Is this what is happening to the Pumpkin?

Or is what I have going on something completely different?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »

Brian,

Totally different.   Mine works all the time, just breaks up like a speaker was going bad.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.